is it ok to drink the tapwater or not?

ozzieclare2be

Guest Richard & Amanda

Hiya,

I didn't want to take the chance so I use my trusty Pura tap!

We had new filters installed when we moved into our new house which cost $67 and they come back every 12 months to replace them.

The taps themselves I didn't think were too expensive, they had an offer on $299 I think it was fully installed - they remove all the nasties from the water, and there is no unpleasant aftertaste. This would have paid for itself given all the bottled water we were going through - luckily it was already in situ though!

Perhaps I should get a job selling these:biglaugh:

Hiya,

I didn't want to take the chance so I use my trusty Pura tap!

We had new filters installed when we moved into our new house which cost $67 and they come back every 12 months to replace them.

The taps themselves I didn't think were too expensive, they had an offer on $299 I think it was fully installed - they remove all the nasties from the water, and there is no unpleasant aftertaste. This would have paid for itself given all the bottled water we were going through - luckily it was already in situ though!

Perhaps I should get a job selling these:biglaugh:

Yeah ive heard of those pura taps might be worth asking landlord if we can get one installed ,thats not a bad price really either thanks x

We have a water softner. the drinking tap however is linked to the water tank outside and tends to have little insect larvae in it. the neighbours tell me you can drink it okay but surely it goes bad in the summer with no rainfall. Does anyone else have this set up! Have bought a britax water jug to filter the insects but it is not a pleasant thought when drinking the water.:confused:

Guest sarahsmartiepants

I would not drink the tap water here, there is a brown mark where my friends tap leaks outside and in side her kettle is brown:chatterbox:.

It does taste different in different areas though. I ahve a pura tap.

sarah

Guest moonraker1959

We drank the water (lived in S.A for a very long time)and did'nt do us any harm!Also used to have our own rain water tank which we also used to drink from....without a filter god forbid haha

I keep hearing conflicting things about this and have stuck to bottled water for now just in case i drink it and turn into a green leprecaun. But does anyone know the offical line on this ?:)

Hi, We have been here since Nov 07 and have drank tap water since the day we arrived. It tastes no different and all my kids love it.

hope this helps.

Lauraxxx

Guest katsmajic

Weve been drinking the water for 4 mths and all ok...so far.

unless we could possibly use it as an excuse for the big kids behaviour....theyve lost their common sense since drinking the water here...damn cant use that as they wer'nt that wise before we came! :biglaugh:

I can definitely tell the difference between tap water and filtered water. Tap water has a chemical taste to it. Saying this, there is nothing wrong with the tap water here and it won't harm you. It's a matter of your own personal taste.

Sarah is right though, if you boil your kettle with normal tap water, take a look inside and see if the inside of your kettle is brown. :huh:

Guest graandjac
You wonder why so many of us drink wine here???

We are on rain water for drinking at Tyke Towers though - double filtered:).

Is that the same as double malt tyke:p, cheers Graham

Guest Guest75
You wonder why so many of us drink wine here???

We are on rain water for drinking at Tyke Towers though - double filtered:).

Is that the same as double malt tyke:p, cheers Graham

:biglaugh::biglaugh:

Better than two fingers.

A double single malt seems weird to say though!

Guest anniewo

Tap water used to be brown at times when we first arrived!1 There is nothing wrong with the tap water,only problem is it is too hot to drink in the summer,need to refrigerate it.

Guest Martin and Val

We have been over a few times and found it fine, I have loads of relations in OZ and none of them are green. However I must say that beer is much better!

If I remember correctly bottled water isn't that good for you! Or was that just one brand called Peckham Spring?:biglaugh:

Martin

Glad to stumble across this thread! I was just going into the household thread to either start a water thread, or find one!

I am afraid on the visits we have made to PILs in Adelaide (they drink rainwater from the tank - and are very insistent there's nothing wrong with it) I have insisted on bottled water and MIL has v kindly usually bought a big vat of it for me. Last time we were there DS1 was 2, and we gave him tapwater.

I found the Gvt advice the other day, and read children under 5 shouldnt drink rainwater unless it is boiled first. I think that was going to be my preferred option (filtered, of course). But the tapwater seems better except the filter company site I looked at said the tapwater had carcinogens in.

Now there are a few cancer deaths in the family...so......... could it have been the water and not the metwurst?

So what are these tapwater filters like? Do they filter out those carcinogen chemicals? Or are they saying its the fluoride that is the carcinogen? And how permanent are they? We are going to be renting for the forseeable, so is there a standalone filter option that is a bit more use than a chocolate teapot??

The one thing I have always known would be difficult when we moved was finding a longterm drinking water solution that I am happy with! DH's immediate family are all still there, and dont get ill from it. But to be honest my main rainwater objection has always been the taste (initially having been extremely naive about exactly what goes on in the bottom of most rainwater tanks). Now I can't stand the thought of even boiling it.

I feel like a spoilt child complaining that the water wont be as good as what comes out of the tap here. But still just want to find a sensible and not too paranoid solution that tasts ok (and not taste like the water you end up with if you leave a glass of water out for a few days and it tastes stale).

I'd rather drink the tapwater unless out in the country, cos although Adelaide is not the most polluted city, you can see the haze at peak times when you drive down from the hills. That if it rains comes down with the rain, plus what ever is on your roof/ gutters.

Watch out for the tap water, drink it for long enuff and you may turn into an evil moderator :D

Guest sarahsmartiepants

Thats the ones that concern me Sally, carcinogens and flouride. neither of them I am particularly pleased to drink. I drink the tap water at work, the kettle is thick brown and has a chemical taste. I much prefer my pura tap although i dont know what it takes out the water.

Annie, that is strange when you turn on the cold tap in the summer and the cold water burns your hands!!

sarah

Guest Guest75

Well,we have drunk rainwater for 8 years now.

We have the tank drained and cleaned out every few years.

We have a double filter system which removes sediment and dust and then chemicals and bacteria.

The water is kept dark with no sunlight entering at all.

It tastes lovely with no stale taste at all.

:)