Do we fill a 20ft container?

Guest caoimhe

Guest caoimhe

We had allied pickford's arround for a quote and it looks like we only need about 3/4 of a container. We have some wardrobes we are not taking as they are falling apart and a few wicker sets of drawers that we are not allowed to take as they are not treated wood. They haven't given us a quote yet but do any of you think it would be worth buying things here to fill up a full 20ft container and bringing it out there ie a 2nd sofa for a family room or a new 42in plasma (as they have gone way down in price here) rather than waiting to get it in Adelaide or should we just pay for 3/4 of a container and buy anything we need in OZ:confused:

I wouldn't know because I haven't got that far yet, someone else could have your last quarter and mean you'd pay less for your 3/4 I think

I don't really know - you buy the extra stuff and then you have to pay the extra for the container as well right? Hmmm. It's a tough one. I'd leave the other stuff til you get there and someone else can have the other quart of your container!

Guest Guzzler&Sas

Hi,

Even if you only have 3/4 of a container it will be cheaper and quicker (in most cases) to have a sole use container rather than shared. As for buying things to fill it up is your call, IMO dishwashers , chest freezers (they will work fine) washing machines, Dyson's are a lot cheaper in the UK.

Customs state that items must be over 12 months old not to attract import tax, we just took things out of their box and sent them, no problems or maybe we were lucky?

Good luck

Guzzler

We had allied pickford's arround for a quote and it looks like we only need about 3/4 of a container. We have some wardrobes we are not taking as they are falling apart and a few wicker sets of drawers that we are not allowed to take as they are not treated wood. They haven't given us a quote yet but do any of you think it would be worth buying things here to fill up a full 20ft container and bringing it out there ie a 2nd sofa for a family room or a new 42in plasma (as they have gone way down in price here) rather than waiting to get it in Adelaide or should we just pay for 3/4 of a container and buy anything we need in OZ:confused:

Also been pricing up and getting quotes for container etc !! also wondering what to take extra , as flat screen t.vs are alot cheeper here [maybe worth buying 1 or 2] , also large bb.qs are cheeper[ because we havent had any summer !!:arghh:] along with fridges , washing machines etc. we believe some items are so expensive in oz.

also agree with others and would definately get a sole container , so theres hopefully no problems with arrival times etc, the last thing you need is to be waiting for all your furniture to arrive.

Good luck and happy planning. :)

Louise n Wayne

Guest katsmajic

Gas bbq are cheap here, and great, dont need to bring one of them, but squeeze in any extras, as the others have said a shared container takes alot longer to arrive.

you'll find its the little things you need here, pegs/coat hangers/kitchen utensils..houses are bigger here on the whole so an extra sofa would be useful...tv's as long as you buy either a re recordable dvd player or a topbox - like freeview box - the tv will work fine.

and free standing shelf units - if your in a rental you cannot put up shelves etc..

drawers, as although most houses have built in wardrobes youll need drawers, and not all rooms have built in wardrobes either - so 1 kid type wardrobe would be useful. the ones with 3 drawers under etc.

Guest caoimhe
Hi Jacqueline, definitely buy whilst you're still over there and ship it over. You'll be spending more than enough money when you get here, trust me! Tell you what, you can fill the rest of the container with some lovely clothes from Next for me and the kids!!!:biglaugh:

I could buy loads of clothes in the sale and sell out there, that'll be my 1st job:biglaugh::biglaugh:

Guest caoimhe
Hi,

Even if you only have 3/4 of a container it will be cheaper and quicker (in most cases) to have a sole use container rather than shared. As for buying things to fill it up is your call, IMO dishwashers , chest freezers (they will work fine) washing machines, Dyson's are a lot cheaper in the UK.

Customs state that items must be over 12 months old not to attract import tax, we just took things out of their box and sent them, no problems or maybe we were lucky?

Good luck

Guzzler

Thanks Guzzler, I thought that might be a good idea

I could buy loads of clothes in the sale and sell out there, that'll be my 1st job:biglaugh::biglaugh:

You could start collecting orders from everyone in Oz and add a small profit!! :idea:

I would go for the full container as it arrives much quicker and less likely that items go astray!!

J