Water Shortage!

Guest GAFFBAM

Guest GAFFBAM

Hi all, can anybody tell me if the water shortages that have affected Australia have a huge affect on your everyday life. When I was out on a 'reccie' last year friends of mine in Melbourne were showering into a bucket for 3 minutes and using the water to flush the toilet. I wouldn't mind doing that but I was wondering where it would all end eventually, as there was no end to the shortage in sight.

Thankyou!!!:unsure:

For the past 3 months it feels like its done nothing but rain, so it changes your thoughts (IMO) about water consumption and yes I'm probably guilty of spending a little more time, than four mins, in the shower.

But spring has arrived and we've had a few nice days and I'm starting to realise that come the long, hot summer, I'll be back to saving my water once again.

Not everyone is concious, mind. At my house I have a bucket in the shower and use this for throwing on the garden when its full. We also hook up the water flow from the washing machine and all the waste goes into a wheelie bin. When full, it too goes on the garden.

We have several water tanks dotted around our garden, catching the rain water and obey the weekend rule of only watering the garden by hose pipe if your house number is odd/even for sat/sun.

At our rentals we have garden watering systems that haven't ever been turned on since we got the houses, due to the summer ban.

So, yes I guess you will notice a change to how you use water when you live here. But for me its just part of life and I've adapted really easily. Its good to do your bit!!:wubclub:

Judi x

Guest GAFFBAM

Hi Judi, thanks for your reply. We are on a metre here where I live on the Isle of Wight so I'm used to watching our water consumption. I was wondering about the long term affects on Australia, is it ever discussed?

Yes, more definitly discussed. The T.V news here in Adelaide and the news papers highlight the drought effecting the Murray River and how the farmers are coping with so little rain. Its something talked about often but yet each year politicians are still talking about it and not putting plans into action.

SA Water has a website that you may like to have a look at to see what restrictions are put in place here in Adelaide

http://www.sawater.com.au/SAWater/Environment/WaterRestrictionsConservationMeasures/

Its nice to answer a thread like this to make people more aware of the situation!! :idea:

Judi x

Guest moonraker1959

I'm glad someone has brought this issue up as when I speak to my folks in SA,they don't appear that worried about it.However I have read online about the farmers etc and to me its worrying (I've lived in SA for a long time so know the area ect).Whats the general feeling of the population?Are they worried?Don't give it much thought?Idea's?

Guest GAFFBAM

Yes, thanks again everybody. I didn't want to sound too political about it but as you say, the affects on the farmers must be devastating. A time bomb I would think! As you say not one of those issues that are addressed too often. Boring I know but I have been looking at the economics of Australia to to help me make my decision about 'making the move' as it were, and water was one of my concerns.

Guest sarahsmartiepants

I was told by an aussie farmer that going back to the 1800s, people were told NOT to farm outside the "Groyder" line ( i think thats what is was called) as it didnt get sufficient rain fall. She had no sorry feelings for water shortaged farmers.

Although I do my bit, save the water from the tap before it gets hot, short showers etc, I get very angry at the way the SA water company tell us to save it , when everybit of rain we get goes out to sea:arghh:.

This is a first world country and has the technology to be able to put it in place, but apparently wont for another 20 odd years!

Surely then if the authorities were worried about our water shortages they would act sooner?

sarah

Guest donna T

This is what frustrates me so much. Adelaide is not an ancient City where resevoirs have to put fitted in around the tiny winding streets. This is a modern city that has grown considerably in a quite mesured way. Why oh why, when drought is hardly a new phenominon, were water saving measures not put into place as the City grows - I just don;t get it :arghh:

Guest Guzzler&Sas
Hi all, can anybody tell me if the water shortages that have affected Australia have a huge affect on your everyday life. When I was out on a 'reccie' last year friends of mine in Melbourne were showering into a bucket for 3 minutes and using the water to flush the toilet. I wouldn't mind doing that but I was wondering where it would all end eventually, as there was no end to the shortage in sight.

Thankyou!!!:unsure:

Don't forget the golden rule,

IF IT'S YELLOW LET IT MELLOW, IF IT'S BROWN FLUSH IT DOWN,

Guzzler

Guest Richard & Amanda

I became paranoid about water when we first landed - I'm a little more relaxed now.

I turn the tap off when brushing my teeth and ensure Hannah does the same - at home it would be freely running down the drain (such a waste).

I convinced Hannah that it would not be wise to get a house with a swimming pool due to the water situation here and god love her she agreed:err:, what a nasty mummy I am. We had told her, from the UK, she could have a pool, but she is switched on enough to realise that water is a major issue and they do push this at school as well.

Our school has just had half fill toilets installed!

Just to show you how sad I am I even read the daily water consumption for Adelaide the the Advertiser and also how many mm of rainfall we had the previous day - not something that would have even crossed my mind at home. But there again it rained practically every day - or it seemed like it did (IMO)

:wubclub:

Guest GAFFBAM

I'm not sure if my girls would be as understanding! A swimming pool is top of their list. Still we'll have to wait and see. I'm all for saving water anyway, as we have to pay for what we use. I wasn't as conscientious in London when I lived there as I wasn't on a metre. It's amazing what you'll do when you have to pay for it. Are you on water metres out there?

Guest sarahsmartiepants
I'm not sure if my girls would be as understanding! A swimming pool is top of their list. Still we'll have to wait and see. I'm all for saving water anyway, as we have to pay for what we use. I wasn't as conscientious in London when I lived there as I wasn't on a metre. It's amazing what you'll do when you have to pay for it. Are you on water metres out there?
Yes all on water metres, but water isnt really that expensive.

My bill last year for the first half was $150, the second half (summer) was $240, I had filled a 41,000 lt pool, topped it up as it evaporated, and watered the garden (on the set days)

sarah