Removal Firms - Preferences?

Guest alan smallman

Guest alan smallman

Hi

Haven't got to the stage where we have to arrange for quotes yet, but having changed our Estate Agent (our former closed down - how bad can it get aye?) who are much more positive than our former EA, we are beginning to look on the bright side, and believe we WILL sell our property. So our enthusiasm is returning after a long lull!!

Hence this question - who are the best people to use for removals to OZ? What experiences (good or bad) have you had with regard to removal firms? Also, what costs were involved? We live in Lincolnshire, so do removal firms from other areas in UK travel to your area and then move your stuff out to OZ?

As ever, your advice and feedback regarding your experiences would be very welcome

Cheers

Alan

Guest Rachael

Hi

We used Bishops Move based in Southampton but I'm sure they travel. They were good at the England end, our stuff is being delivered on Monday so I'll be able to tell how well everything was packed when I start unpacking next week. It cost us around 4000 pounds. Might be worth getting Britainia to quote also as I've heard they're good.

Hope this helps,

R

Guest vikkiann

Alan

We are in the same position as you.

I've has 2 quotes but because they were £700 apart i have another 2 companies coming in to give us quotes. So far, I've seen John Mason and Anglo Pacific and John Mason seemed the more professional one's, i know its only the salesman but i think first impressions count.

I think the companies travel to wherever you are, the one's I've dealt with seem to have an office in London and Liverpool.

Try and Google a few companies.

Good luck.

Vikki

Guest alan smallman

Thank you both for your quick replies. Rachael, hope everything goes well with unpacking (we would be interested in how well your stuff has travelled). All sounds good for you and your family (and the baby of course!!). Thanks Vicki also. Any luck with your house yet? What are you looking to do when you go out there, for work? Sorry for being nosey!!!!!

Cheers again both!!

PS

Rache, what's the weather doing out there at the moment? Don't tell me its great as I'll have to go outside and slash me wrists!!!!! Don't want to make a mess of the newly-laid carpets as it'll put potential buyers off!!! Only joking - the missus'll kill me if I don't get the tea on ready for her return home from work tonight!!! LOL!!!

Guest vikkiann

Alan

no worries about being nosy, i do it all the time.

We had 1st time buyers view our property on Saturday so fingers crossed!

We are thinking we will have to do an activation trip in December, not cheap with 4 kids though.

My hubby is a plumber so the work situation will be fun because of their licenses.

Do you have your visa yet?

Vikki

Guest alan smallman

Hi again Vicki

No we don't have our visas sorted yet. We were worried that we would spend all that money only for our sponsors to withdraw their offer of sponsorship due to the length of time it seems to be taking to sell the house etc. I know someone who knows someone whose house hasn't sold yet and their visa has expired so they've to do it all again. Don't know if that's right as it's a little like chinese whispers. Fingers crossed Vick with the first time buyers. We've said that we'll have to stay here if we don't get a certain amount for our house - we'll have no option. I'm sure everyone else is in the same boat. But we're not going to give it away - we can't afford to.

Thanks Lea also for the tip regarding DB removals. They've been added to me list!!!

Cheers Both

Alan

Hello we have Britanna removals in as I type it's day two of them being here and they are going to take a further two days to empty our house as they are carefully packing everything and keeping an eye on things we are not allowed to take so we shouldn't have problems down the lane, its not too stressful I sorted out over the weekend what linen, clothes, towels I want to keep we are not going until November something we should of done a bit sooner was the insurance forms you will need to itemise your things on there. We have guessed a lot but it maybe more prudent to give yourself several weeks to going through your things and get your insurance policy returned before the removal company comes in, (not like us).

Good luck with your house sale unlike us.

Now there is real stress.

Julie

Guest alan smallman

Hi Julie-Ruth

Thanks for the reply especially since it was given so graciously at a time when everything around you must seem hectic. You should have had videocam then we could have seen exactly what to expect!! Hope everything goes well for you. So what's the next stage for you? Move to rented or stay where you are? What are you hoping to do when you get out there?

Cheers & Good Luck!!

Alan

Hi

Haven't got to the stage where we have to arrange for quotes yet, but having changed our Estate Agent (our former closed down - how bad can it get aye?) who are much more positive than our former EA, we are beginning to look on the bright side, and believe we WILL sell our property. So our enthusiasm is returning after a long lull!!

Hence this question - who are the best people to use for removals to OZ?

Has any body used John Mason removals [ Liverpool ] If so are they any good / what sort of prices do they charge for a 20foot container, any info would be appreciated,

Can anyone recommend any other container companies in the North West ?? Thanks in advance.

Wayne n Louise

Thank you both for your quick replies. Rachael, hope everything goes well with unpacking (we would be interested in how well your stuff has travelled). All sounds good for you and your family (and the baby of course!!). Thanks Vicki also. Any luck with your house yet? What are you looking to do when you go out there, for work? Sorry for being nosey!!!!!

Cheers again both!!

PS

Rache, what's the weather doing out there at the moment? Don't tell me its great as I'll have to go outside and slash me wrists!!!!! Don't want to make a mess of the newly-laid carpets as it'll put potential buyers off!!! Only joking - the missus'll kill me if I don't get the tea on ready for her return home from work tonight!!! LOL!!!

Hi

Will post on here, my opinions on Bishops Move once everything is unpacked next week. I think this would be useful for a lot of people as we found it useful when trying to find a company.

The weather has been 18-20ish degrees this last week. Forecast for tomorrow says 22 but looks like it will be a bit chillier next week. Had big down pour on Sunday with thunder, lightening and hail. A few spots of rain today but that's all. Most days you can go out in a T-shirt and might need a jumper but no coat.

R

Hi again Vicki

No we don't have our visas sorted yet. We were worried that we would spend all that money only for our sponsors to withdraw their offer of sponsorship due to the length of time it seems to be taking to sell the house etc. I know someone who knows someone whose house hasn't sold yet and their visa has expired so they've to do it all again. Don't know if that's right as it's a little like chinese whispers. Fingers crossed Vick with the first time buyers. We've said that we'll have to stay here if we don't get a certain amount for our house - we'll have no option. I'm sure everyone else is in the same boat. But we're not going to give it away - we can't afford to.

Thanks Lea also for the tip regarding DB removals. They've been added to me list!!!

Cheers Both

Alan

Hey guys just to give you some hope, we had an offer on our house today after 4 months of no viewings, just hope it doesnt fall through.

Don't know about starting the whole process again if you dont sell up!! Blimey , I'd rather leave the house and rent it than start this again

Hello its day three of removal company coming in really good friendly bunch the office has been on the phone each day to see how things are going and they are always polite, as you can see not to bad, on typing on here for starter's only for 5 minutes though stopped for lunch, not sure how much this company costs but from experience very good, the company who is employing my husband in Adelaide is paying for it.

We are being messed about by our buyer at the moment suppose to be completing by next monday, and even though this is the date he orginally asked for he has now changed his mind and asked for completion end of third of week in October, we think is very suspisous so we are now having to get a firm with them sign or the sale is cancelled and we will put it back on the market again. Even though these are hard times I rather rent and sell later than be pushed into a corner. Sorry secound sale around and I'm getting wound up with the whole process.

We are moving in November sometime waiting to see what the company who is employing my husband will put us. They ask for preference for area we will probably say north to northwest coastal, and hope that its nice. We can always change to somewhere later if it doesn't work out.

Good news its stopped raining long enough for them to load up our stuff onto the lorry without getting wet. Oh and if you have kids try and get Nannie or someone to have them while the movers are in it's really unsettling ours.

Julie

Guest Aussie pat

Hi Julie,

I'm so sorry you're being messed about at this stage. If you've already exchanged you will be locked into a contract and won't be able to pull out without paying out quite a lot of money. Or are you going for simultaneous exchange and completion next Monday? I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Hedy