UK Netgear Router

Guest hollyc

Guest hollyc

Hi all

I know there's been a few posts about wireless routers from the UK, and they should work... but we need help from a pro!!

We have set up our router so that it's country is Australia, but we can't seem to get it to work when we connect it to our Optus broadband modem. The computer recognises that it's there, but the router doesn't seem to be able to connect to the modem. Does anyone know what we should be doing?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Cheers

Holly

Hi all

I know there's been a few posts about wireless routers from the UK, and they should work... but we need help from a pro!!

We have set up our router so that it's country is Australia, but we can't seem to get it to work when we connect it to our Optus broadband modem. The computer recognises that it's there, but the router doesn't seem to be able to connect to the modem. Does anyone know what we should be doing?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Cheers

Holly

Hi Holly,

First of all I assume that your Optus modem doesn't provide wireless capability so you need your Netgear router to do that part?

Secondly, Are you connecting the Netgear with a LAN cable to an Ehternet port on the Optus modem?

Finally, if you connect a LAN cable between your computer and your Optus modem, do you get an internet connection that way?

Cheers,

Bill

Guest hollyc

Hi Bill

No, optus haven't provided wireless capability. What's an LAN cable? Sorry for being dense! We have an ethernet cable coming from our router which we connected to the ethernet port on the modem.

When we put the cable (provided by Optus) to the modem from the ethernet port on our computer, we do get a connection.

Does this answer everything?

Cheers for your help

Holly

Hi Holly

The LAN cable and ethernet cable are one and the same.

It sounds like the Optus modem may also be providing some form of routing functionality which may be where your problem lies. If you could give me the details of the optus modem and Netgear router that would help.

The one thing that puzzles me is that you say you set your router for Australia which makes me think your router may actually be a modem router (model DG834 would be my guess). If that is the case then you can ditch the Optus modem and just use yours ;-)

Justin.

Hi Holly

The LAN cable and ethernet cable are one and the same.

It sounds like the Optus modem may also be providing some form of routing functionality which may be where your problem lies. If you could give me the details of the optus modem and Netgear router that would help.

The one thing that puzzles me is that you say you set your router for Australia which makes me think your router may actually be a modem router (model DG834 would be my guess). If that is the case then you can ditch the Optus modem and just use yours ;-)

Justin.

Hi Holly,

Sorry for the delay on my part - I was busy rerouting millions of TV, audio, modem and phone cables last night, and playing tennis today - with the best view of the sea from a tennis court I have ever seen!

Justin is probably right, and if your router IS a modem router, you probably just need to put your Optus user name and password into it and use it in place of the Optus modem.

However, if your router is really just a router, and needs a separate modem for Internet access, then a good thing to check is that you are switching on the Optus modem first, waiting until it has fully booted up, then switching on the router after that.

Hope this helps. If not, I have a few commands that you can type in on your PC in an attempt to trace the problem.

Bill

If you could give me the details of the optus modem and Netgear router that would help.

- Thanks for your replies so far, but no luck as of yet! I think the router is just a router, model WGT624. The Optus modem is a Siemens SpeedStream 4200. Are they the only details you need?!

Thanks

Holly

I just want to check that the router is just a router and not a modem too. That would change everything. To answer that question, I need to know whether in the UK, you connected it directly to your phone socket, or to a modem like you are doing here.

Guest hollyc
I just want to check that the router is just a router and not a modem too. That would change everything. To answer that question, I need to know whether in the UK, you connected it directly to your phone socket, or to a modem like you are doing here.

Hi Bill

In the UK we connected the router to an NTL modem, so assume it's just a router I think.

Cheers

Holly

It's just a router.

Cable is a much simpler beast, as most cable companies give you a simple cable modem (Motorola Surfboard etc) and a single connection that wires you directly to the internet, hence the need for a router. DSL modems are very hard to find as simple modems; they all do a little bit extra. I have a feeling you basically have a router connected to another router and they're not talking to each other.

When you connect your PC to the modem, does it give you an ip address? If so, the optus modem may well have an inbuilt DHCP server (which hands out preconfigured ip addressing information) but may also be performing some form of Network Address Translation - basically separating anything you do locally from the internet.

The simplest approach is to get yourself a one-box adsl modem/router or (assuming the Optus device has some kind of firewall and DHCP server) get yourself a straight switch to use with it. If you're feeling brave, you could disable to routing/DHCP functions of the Optus device and use your router as a router...

If you're anywhere near Hallett Cove, I don't mind lending a hand although I'm still puzzled about you saying you set the country for Australia - you sure it's not wireless?

J.

It's just a router.

Cable is a much simpler beast, as most cable companies give you a simple cable modem (Motorola Surfboard etc) and a single connection that wires you directly to the internet, hence the need for a router. DSL modems are very hard to find as simple modems; they all do a little bit extra. I have a feeling you basically have a router connected to another router and they're not talking to each other.

When you connect your PC to the modem, does it give you an ip address? If so, the optus modem may well have an inbuilt DHCP server (which hands out preconfigured ip addressing information) but may also be performing some form of Network Address Translation - basically separating anything you do locally from the internet.

The simplest approach is to get yourself a one-box adsl modem/router or (assuming the Optus device has some kind of firewall and DHCP server) get yourself a straight switch to use with it. If you're feeling brave, you could disable to routing/DHCP functions of the Optus device and use your router as a router...

If you're anywhere near Hallett Cove, I don't mind lending a hand although I'm still puzzled about you saying you set the country for Australia - you sure it's not wireless?

J.

Lol :) my first post says about our uk wireless router... is the info above not regarding a wireless one??

Cheers

Sorry, just re-read your original post. You need the country bit for the wireless channels.

See if you can't turn off all the extras on the optus modem, so your router gives out the ip addresses and does the routing - if that doesn't work too well, try it the other way round. We brought over a Belkin wireless router ourselves but it has a dedicated access point mode, so our modem/router does all the hard work. Does the optus device have a model number or maker? Let me have the same for the Netgear.

J.