Home Contents Insurance (Temporary Accommodation)

Guest Bex & Nick

Guest Bex & Nick

hi all

I don't seem to be having much joy with this!:mad: We have travel insurance that covers us for the first couple of days in Oz, after that what do people do?

We're going to be in temporary serviced accommodation for the first 1 - 2 months whilst we look for a rental. Can we get home contents insurance for this period? We won't need full contents because the furnishings are covered by the property owners own insurance policy. All we need is coverage for clothes, laptop etc.

Can we then upgrade the policy when we get a rental and will have all our furniture with us?

I've got a quote from AAMI (anyone heard of?) for $135 for the year based on a fire & theft policy (and I have emailed my questions to them this morning...). Also been quoted $628 for the year for a full home contents policy with specified valuables by SGIC (again anyone heard of?), Allianz for some strange reason just don't want to know!

Can anyone help as this is doing my nut in!? Just thought I'd see if anyone else was in similar boat whilst waiting for insurers to get back to me....or am I worrying to much and no one bothers with insurance until they're settled?

Thanks Bex

Guest Guest75

Interesting post.

We advice our guests to make sure they have insurance.

AAMI and SGIC are 2 of the top insurers here.

The $135 seems good if you can upgrade it.

I'll ask our insurer's this question, see if I can get back with something sensible for you:)

Guest Bex & Nick

Thanks Tyke, its really reassuring to know that I haven't just picked two companies out of thin air! If you are able to come back with any further info then it would be very helpful....

Cheers

Bex

Guest steph&neil

Hi bex i just wondered how you got on with the insurance? to be honest I hadn't even thought about it! we are heading out at the start of August so any info would be great ;),

take care

steph:cool:

Guest dglamoore

We have just paid $540 for full contents with budget insurance. We were luckily covered in the first 17 days for contents and health with our travel insurance through Go Walkabout so just sorted it once we got to the rental but a policy you can upgrade sounds a good idea.

Lisa:cool:

Guest dglamoore

Going through a tour operator they may offer you insurance. We booked our flight direct with Singapore Airlines so got the insurance seperately

We used Mutual Community to cover us for the OAA, then upgraded the whole policy when we moved into our own house. We only increased the amount covered when our container arrived some 6 weeks after our arrival.

I'm not sure how Mutual rate, laziness has meant we've just stayed with them...

LC

Guest Bex & Nick

Our travel insurance policy stops as soon as we arrive in Australia so we needed to get cover of some sort. We were originally going to go for third party, fire and theft as it was the cheaper option but we do have a few portable valuables that we wanted covered away from the home.

We've ended up going with AAMI. The policy is $450ish for the year and we can either cancel it when we move into more permanent accommodation (plus a small admin fee) or we can "upgrade" it to cover our additional contents. I have to say that the service so far has been excellent.

Guest dglamoore

We used Go Walkabout for our travel insurance which covered us for 17 days then got our contents cover sorted when that finished ;)

Guest donna T

We didn't bother with any insurance whilst in the OAA - we had everything of value always on us! Once we moved, we used Commonwealth Bank - they seemed quite competitive and it was really easy to do.