Aussie Plugs?

Guest FlyByNight

Guest FlyByNight

:GEEK:Can anyone advise how to wire an Aussie plug or a website where I can find out. I am assuming that due to the same voltage our appliances will merely need to be 're-plugged' when we arrive.

Either that or we will have a house full of 3-pin extension leads. Unless it burns down because I got the wiring wrong :err:.

Guest sarahsmartiepants

You can buy ozzie plugs for as little as $2, and they are easy to re wire, There is a diagram on the packet, BUT you are supposed to get a qualified, licensed electrician to do them for you.

sarah

Guest Sharon and Paul
You can buy ozzie plugs for as little as $2, and they are easy to re wire, There is a diagram on the packet, BUT you are supposed to get a qualified, licensed electrician to do them for you.

sarah

How many Women does it take to change a plug?:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Guest FlyByNight

:wideeyed:OO-eer. Do the 'plug police' come and get you if you DIY?.

Now you mention it, I guess it might have some kind of house insurance implications.

If it's advisable to get it done 'officially' any idea of the cost?

As ever, thanks for your help.

:biglaugh:

You guys are risking it - Sarah may not be the tallest person in the world but I would not risk teasing her like that!!:arghh:

Feeling brave yourself today then Tyke - she won't like being called short - she'll go all green and her clothes will all rip :biglaugh::biglaugh:

Guest TC for short

Wiring the plugs is very easy although you'll need to trim them to suit the Aussie plugs. IMHO it's a good idea to bring a few UK gang-plugs & re-plug those, and only re-plug the appliances themselves where absolutely necessary. This is especially relevant where you'll be plugging in a few things, eg computers & peripherals, TV/Video/DVD etc. It's also safer (again IMHO) as Aussie plugs are not fused.

Guest Guest75
Feeling brave yourself today then Tyke - she won't like being called short - she'll go all green and her clothes will all rip :biglaugh::biglaugh:

Ooo poop!

I did not think of that - perfectly packaged I should have said:notworthy::notworthy:

Guest sarahsmartiepants
Ooo poop!

I did not think of that - perfectly packaged I should have said:notworthy::notworthy:

Thankyou Tyke!!

My mum used to say "dont worry about how tall you are , dynamite comes in small packages!"

As for cost, havent got a clue,

Guest Alipally
Wiring the plugs is very easy although you'll need to trim them to suit the Aussie plugs. IMHO it's a good idea to bring a few UK gang-plugs & re-plug those, and only re-plug the appliances themselves where absolutely necessary. This is especially relevant where you'll be plugging in a few things, eg computers & peripherals, TV/Video/DVD etc. It's also safer (again IMHO) as Aussie plugs are not fused.

Just a thought, but is it sensible to overload ozzie plug holes? After all, you don't want a house fire in your first few weeks.... and the electrical regulations aren't exactly strict, there are NO fuses in the plugs :shocked:.... and no back plates in the walls... wires are just sunk into the walls... no protective trunking on them.... Are you getting the picture yet!????:jimlad: Yeeee haaaa! Cowboy sparkies!!! JMHO:)

Ali :wubclub:

Guest TC for short

It shouldn't overload them in normal use but using too many high-current devices at once on one gang could trip the circuit-breaker. One point to note is that the circuit-breakers seem to be outside the house here and naturally they will only trip late at night when it's raining!

TC

Guest FlyByNight

:idea:Can I put the same question to the learned panel regarding UK spec telephones?

If the standard BT style telephone socket connector thingy is incompatible, then can you just change the lead thus avoiding the expense of buying Aussie pattern telephones in their entirety.

Or should I add 'dog and bones' to my 'things to buy when we get there' list?

Guest sarahsmartiepants
It shouldn't overload them in normal use but using too many high-current devices at once on one gang could trip the circuit-breaker. One point to note is that the circuit-breakers seem to be outside the house here and naturally they will only trip late at night when it's raining!

TC

I wouldnt trust the circuit breakers! I had a blowdrier blow up in my hand and it didnt trip the house at all, also on sunday the watering system just stopped working, couldnt work out why till I noticed the casing had come off one of the wires leading to the adapter, completely bare, that didnt trip the house either!

sarah

Guest Guzzler&Sas
I wouldnt trust the circuit breakers! I had a blowdrier blow up in my hand and it didnt trip the house at all, also on sunday the watering system just stopped working, couldnt work out why till I noticed the casing had come off one of the wires leading to the adapter, completely bare, that didnt trip the house either!

sarah

On the other side of the coin our circuit breaker tripped, but a 2 amp fuse on the appliance that caused the problem was still intact, on newer builds I would say the systems are pretty safe,

Guzzler

Guest TC for short

For phones you need a BT to RJ11 adaptor to use your existing cable. These are easily available from B&Q, Tandy, Comet, Curries etc. However if you look at where the cable attaches to the phone, unless it's a pretty old phone you can actually unplug it & replace it with an RJ11 cable.

Point to note: There's no guarantee that a UK phone (particularly cordless ones) will work properly here. Cordless ones are supposed to be "Austel" approved (with a sticker on the back, much like BT in the early 80's) & I'd imagine you could get fined if found using an unauthorised phone. Common problems with a foreign phone are funny dialling tones, poor (or no) ringing tone and low volume.

TC

Guest Alipally

We bought an $8 phone in the USA and that works fine here. Have just had the wireless ones from the UK but need to buy new batteries for them so haven't tried them yet.... I'll let you know!

I was concerned about the 'electrickery' before... Now I'm really worried and am considering buying circuit breakers for all the sockets!! :GEEK:

Ali

Guest TC for short

As long as you have a reasonably modern ECB (circuit-breaker) board and it's installed correctly you should be ok, but it is one of the reasons I like having fuses in my plugs! I'm really not sold on the idea of them being outside & exposed to the elements though!

The biggest thing is to make sure that the individual breakers are of the correct amperage (current) so that they WILL trip if things get nasty. If you have any doubts get a qualified sparky to check them. If you're renting, contact the agent.