Monster Spider!!!

The Monaghans

Well, it had to happen I suppose. I've just gone out to get the post from the box and it was the usual assortment of catalogues that have been there for days. I carried them in and sat down to have a look at what's on special.... and the biggest huntsman IN THE WORLD fell out onto the table in front of me.:shocked::swoon: I don't think you can underestimate just how loud and girly my scream was, certainly the dog won't forget today in a hurry!!! I phoned Richie (why????) but he wouldn't come home and sort it out so I have Mortein'd it and hit it with a shoe 47 times. I think it's dead.

There's no point to this story except to warn you poor innocent people back in the UK that Australia is a VERY SCARY PLACE WITH VERY SCARY THINGS!!!!!:biglaugh:

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Sorry couldn't resist, you have brightened up my day. We have spent the day mopping up after the place flooded. I hope you have got over the shock and I think that you definitey need a bottle of wine for tonight, medicinal perposes of course!!!;)

Guest Tracijbc

OH DEAR LORD!!! You poor thing!!! My worst nightmare. :shocked:

We did have a red back in the laundry, although before we knew what it was, Matt was examining the unknown spider after we had sprayed it, and asked me whcih type did I think it was....."it has a stripe down its back, a kind of reddy/orange".......D'OH!!! I almost died of shock. :arghh:

I will no longer be bringing in the post.......one more thing I won't do here.....ARGH!

Guest donna T

Oh Liz I am so with you on this one! The same thing happened to me last year - I couldn't beleive after all the time, money and effort of spraying every last surface I had actually bought the bloody great thing in myself! I have to say _ I send the kids for the mail now:biglaugh:

Consider youirself well and truly christened :notworthy:

:swoon: wish i hadn't clicked the link!!!

On recce in April, checking out houses etc....the OH pointed out a largish spider on the wall; now i know it was a hunstman.............a juve but still! Urghhh.

Thing is none of us are keen on arachnids; lizards, great; but 8 leeged things not on your nelly.

It's only 9.45 here, and after this post......i need a scotch.........

j

We had a Huntsman in our house and we named him Hunty..........he was lovely never bothered us or made us feel uneasy.

We could never kill one as they are NOT poisonous the bite is quite bad i hear but not real baddies.

Our house was never as clean as it was when Hunty was knocking about no flies ir lil bugs etc etc .........we used to talk to him and everything he became part of our family for the time he was with us.

We have Aussie mates who say they have never killed Hunstman ever...........shame on you lol.

If it's in my house, it's fair game! Anything with more than four legs gets sprayed, squished or splatted - and in this case all three! I have absolutely no qualms about this so don't bother trying to make me feel bad because you won't! I have left the corpse by the dustbin as a warning to any other creepy crawlies who might consider moving in!:biglaugh:

If it's in my house, it's fair game! Anything with more than four legs gets sprayed, squished or splatted - and in this case all three! I have absolutely no qualms about this so don't bother trying to make me feel bad because you won't! I have left the corpse by the dustbin as a warning to any other creepy crawlies who might consider moving in!:biglaugh:

I hear that about 60 of his big friends are arriving at yours today to the funeral!:biglaugh:;)

Excellent - Thanks Tyke :notworthy:

I hate anything like that really - love gekkos and lizards etc but spiders, ants, cockroaches and carpet beetles (especially cos they are so tiny you can hardly see them but the damage they do)!:arghh:

Will have to give all the snakes your address as it sounds like they may have a safe haven at yours as they have no legs. Too Easy.

Start with the local Brownies........

Guest Lulujim
If it's in my house, it's fair game!

Quite right!!! Survival of the fittest and all that...

Am more in awe that you stuck around to deal with it - I think I would have run straight back out the door :biglaugh:

Guest Happychick

I know it sounds awful but i agree with liz!! and i would do the same ring the hubby and freak out a little , always nice to know there is a can of mortein spray under the sink...

Lisa

Oh this is my worst fear by far along with many people, my fear of spiders is so bad that I can't even stand on them as I think they will get through the sole of my shoe and get me!!?? Seriously worried and reallly considering being hypnotised before we arrive.

All spiders should DIE

Guest Alipally

Spiders! Pah!! I must have killed about 20 redbacks since I got here.... loads of them int he garage of the new house we just moved into... OH spent this morning doing the fences... everytime the spray hit the fence, the noise had them scurrying out of their holes!

No.2 son thought it was hilarious watching his Dad about 12' away from the fence... I wasn't there.... one of us had to go to work!

Ali x

• 3 months later...
Guest 0125dannydanny

I'm new to the group but just seen the pic of the spider..I'm a 33 yr old male and I would run out of the house and get a neighbour..I'd be bloody scared...are these in the city centre too?

Guest cornish Busdriver

Awwwwwwww you crule bugger.

Huntsman spiders are great and amazing spiders. I got bit twice the other night by the same sod but would never kill one. Use a blank DVD pot to cover them and the back off a cereal packet then let them go outside.

I look at it this way, Keep a few daddy long legs around the place and if they go missing then its a good sign that theres a huntsman or redback about somewhere.

If you do get bit by a huntsman it only feels like a bee sting and wont kill you.

Guest Lulujim
If you do get bit by a huntsman it only feels like a bee sting and wont kill you.

There is NO WAY on earth I am ever going to be getting close enough to one for it to bite me!! :shocked: