Help With Land Line Phones

Guest Martin and Val

Guest Martin and Val

Hi Everyone,

We have just got the keys to our new home and now we need to have a land line installed.

Can we have advise on which company you used, quality of service, cost etc.

We want cheap international calls obviously and we want ADSL Broadband as well but don't want to be charged if we go over our monthly download limit.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks

Martin and Val

Yeah...it is only Telstra that will connect you phone....you havent got to have a package with them but they do all the cabling. Its cost 299 bucks if they have to do the trenching....or if the connection is already there 60. Even if the trenching was done when the house was built and the property is brand new...as the first customer you will foot the bill....but the landlord should cover that.

We had 4 appointments with Telstra and they never turned up....gave up in the end...stick with mobiles and wire-less broadband....!!

Dan

Guest massive

H i Val,

oh my god Telstra what a pain but they've got you over here good and proper !!!! anyway after many phone calls we went down to the telstra shop in Elizabeth and they managed to get the land line on lucky for us it was already connected and even that fact didn't stop them taking nearly 3 weeks and a further 2 for the internet .I think we,ve got a deal that we pay 39c connection to the uk then 2c per minute. we are hoping to be at henley today so will try and catch i think i remember you from a north west meet back in the u.k.

Good luck with the phone

Guest tooeasy

yep telstra are the only company that can put a land line into your house and it costs from $399 depending on how far they have to trench and install cables and they are a pain in the a**e to deal with :mad:

Guest Kazzarazza

Hi guys, have loved reading you're updates over the last few weeks and good to hear you're getting settled. Does the house you're renting have a phone line already installed? Any company can arrange the connection for you IF the cabling and phone points are already there. We were with AAPT for many years as we got a good corporate rate through my employer. However, we have recently changed back over to Telstra as they offered us a better deal which AAPT couldn't match. We must have been lucky because it went very smoothly for us and the whole process only took a few days. We got a bundled package (Reach Home Line and Broadband Bundle) which gives us 12GB, includes the line rental fee, handset rental, gives us local calls for 10 cents (local calls here are untimed by the way), we get international for less than 10 cents per minute if you keep the call to less than 30 minutes, 17 cents per minute if you go over - but we generally use Skype most of the time. We were also given $200 worth of international calls for free in the first 2 months for switching back to them so, if you decide to go with Telstra, ASK if there are any extra bonuses.

Good luck with it all ......and we may bump into you walking the dog on the beach as we are at West Lakes Shore too.

Another vote for Internode from us guys.

We used to be with Netspace but moved to an area where "conventional" ADSL would not work; we're 6.6Km from the exchange. Luckily, we only had a short wait of a few weeks until Internode launched their Naked Extreme package.

We now have no connected phone line and pay $85/mth for 40GB; unlimited packages are either not available with some providers or prohibitively expensive. We use skype for everything - took a year subscription for $50 which gives us free calls to local and mobiles throughout Australia and also gives us a local Skype-In number, so we look like we're in Adelaide - very clever. Everyone we speak to outside Oz (France, UK, Holland) is on Skype anyway... We have dual landline/Skype phone (Philips VOIP841...I think) which works fine.

Justin.

Guest Martin and Val

Thanks for all the info everybody.

We have gone with Telstra in the end. We have added $10 call package to the line rental which gives us cheap calls to the UK 2cents per min.

NO CONNECTION CHARGE and they say it will be connected this Thursday!

Will let you know what happens............

Guest Martin and Val

Well, we said we would let you know what happened and thumbs up to TELSTRA !!:)

They said they would connect the phone on Thursday and by the time we got to the house just after midday it was all connected and working fine.:)

What more can we say but well done to Telstra!!:):)

Guest Marshall

Hi Martin,

Ken here, not Marshall but signed in under his name. We had a dilemma when we arrived about a landline phone. All the companies wanted a line rental fee and to be honest (although I could be naive), I have no idea why that is charged - we paid it for years in the UK and what for? Anyway, where we are now we have gone with Adam Internet. We pay $69.00 per month, get wireless broadband with 25Gb download limit that we have hardly touched (and Marshall watches loads on YouTube) and phone. Calls are 12c for as long as you like in Australia, and 4c per minute to the UK. We are very pleased with the service so far.

Hope this helps.

Ken

P.S. Drinking a few lemonades tonight, so hope this makes sense!