Mobile phone help

Guest Aussie pat

Guest Aussie pat

We arrived yesterday and went looking for mobiles today. As we are low users we cancelled our contract several years ago and switched to UK pay as you go phones. We were very happy with this arrangement. We were aware that pay as you go is not as cheap here (i.e. 80 cents/min versus 13p or less in UK). Has anyone found a good reasonably priced either pay as you go, or capped contract option that they think is a good deal? It seems all the main providers have very similar products here and don't offer the variety you can get back in the UK. Just thought I'd ask before we commit, seeing as we have 4 phones to buy (gulp!).

Hedy

Hi Hedy.

Welcome (back) to Australia!!

Both my wife and I use Virgin mobile - we were previously on PAYG but are now both on the minimum $20/month contract. Virgin use the Optus network, so it's fairly reliable, and you also benefit from their Free-to-V offer - free text and calls to other Virgin mobile users; this is also available on PAYG but only if you top up with the special $29 Free 2 V voucher.

J.

We arrived yesterday and went looking for mobiles today. As we are low users we cancelled our contract several years ago and switched to UK pay as you go phones. We were very happy with this arrangement. We were aware that pay as you go is not as cheap here (i.e. 80 cents/min versus 13p or less in UK). Has anyone found a good reasonably priced either pay as you go, or capped contract option that they think is a good deal? It seems all the main providers have very similar products here and don't offer the variety you can get back in the UK. Just thought I'd ask before we commit, seeing as we have 4 phones to buy (gulp!).

Hedy

I am on optus, i recharge 30 bux and i get 170 bux of credit for 30 days from day of recharge.

Guest the4hopes

If you go into All phones they will give you advice. Optus will do $30 credit which will last for 186 days and you get 100 free minutes to 5 nominated numbers.

They also do $30 credit for 60 days with different free options.

Laura x

hi,we use 2 pay as you go phones on vodaphone,a 49 dollar maxi cap supposedly gives you 340 odd minutes,but you gotta use it in one month,suits us as we have no landline,but as said before,allphones are brilliant and will help you,especially the nice chap in marion westfield,downstairs by the escalators,hope this helps.

• 2 months later...
Guest alan smallman

Hi

been reading these posts with interest as the date to come over draws nearer (hoping to come out first week in April). Thanks Sue for the advice with regard to the guy in Marion shopping Centre. Having been there last year, we'll probablt pop down and see him if he's still there. So, as I understand it, if you want to use the phones you have in the UK (I'm presently on PAYG with Virgin) you have to get them unlocked before you begin any new contracts in Aus?

Many thanks all

Alan

...So, as I understand it, if you want to use the phones you have in the UK (I'm presently on PAYG with Virgin) you have to get them unlocked before you begin any new contracts in Aus?...

Yes. Double-check with Virgin before you leave - shouldn't be too costly to get the phone unlocked. Also, weigh up whether it's worth doing it at all - if it's a shiny, flash new-ish one then yes; if not, then it might pay to pick up something up-to-date here, with a 12 month warranty.

For anyone currently on 3: If 3 UK claim their handsets will work on 3 Australia, they're lying - found that out myself, the hard way.

J.