Buy new?

Guest deanrm

Guest deanrm

i was just woundering if anyone had any advise on whether to sell everything before we come over (my husband wants to sell it all and buy new)? Or would you recommend shipping household things over? Is there anything that we should definatly bring?

Thanks

Hi ....this is a real 'horses for courses' one....so many people say, bring everything whilst there are otheres who dont.........

we are those who dont. We are just bringing over 13-15 boxes of personal belongings (photos, pictures, etc) We are going to start a fresh with furniture etc........to be honest, alot of it was old and needed replacing......and I like shopping!, so it wasnt a difficult decision for us.

To be really honest, I just couldnt be bothered with cleaning everything and sorting stuff out - I just wanted to get rid and start new.....also, there would be a time delay getting your belongings, so you'd have to buy a few things anyway......

Its really down to personal choice and predicaments.

Sarahx

Guest dglamoore

We have bought a full container load with us and have bought a lot of new since we got here so some of the stuff coming over is now not needed :rolleyes:

Having said that I am glad we did not have to replace everything as the little things add up to a lot of $$$$'s and I am looking forward to having some familiar things around me too to feel more like home.

Only you can decide which is the better way for you :D

Lisa:cool:

Guest Libby1971

Morning all!

I think one of the best things you could do is look at the stuff you have and then look at the cost of the furniture you might have if you were starting anew. Does the cost of shipping the goods out make sense financially? In our case, we had been talking and planning the move to Oz for about 10 years. So any furniture we bought during that time we had already decided if we would take it with us or not. Argos special if it was being left or Argos not so special if it was coming or just super deluxe.

We have only got one sideboard of furniture coming over. We had a part container, about 260 cu ft, and we have about 50 boxes in there I think.

As Lisa said, you do buy things over here anyway and we knew we would so we bought what we wanted rather than anything make shift which would end up taking space in the long term. Plus it is made everything new and exciting and I really wanted a fresh start (lots of baggage to leave at the departure gate!)

Libby x

Guest donna T

We bought a full container load including sofas and beds. Trouble is the houses are that much bigger that we still have rooms with no furniture. So I would say bring it all - you can still do plenty of shopping when you get here to fill all those empty corners!

Guest Russfamily

we have a container coming 850cuft in all £3021 excluding taxes and import duties that includes delivery to our house. about $7500 cheaper than buying a new house of gear, plus i want to spend our money on going out and about not a new table if u get what i mean

Guest robandmags

Hi Russfamily

just out of interest which removal company are you using? It sounds very cheap. We are still in the process of trying to decide who to use out of PSS and Pickfords. But whilst we are deciding our list of things to take is getting smaller by the day. We're aiming to fly out at the beginning of Sept.

Bye

Rob and Mags

Guest Libby1971

Hi

Robandmags, we used Whites and Co as shippers. We had 5 quotes I think. One was very expensive and another sent a horrible greasy little man and I wouldn't have trusted him with a teabag never mind my belongings.

Bishops, Whites and another whose name I can't remember all came approx the same. Although 6 weeks storage was included in the quotes as it was a part container, Whites also included another 10 weeks on top of that in their quotation price.

Good luck

Libby

Guest Russfamily

We are using doree bonner international this end a local based company in Dunstable bedfordshire we have a 20ft container fits up to 850cuft with grace brothers the other end will deliver to largs bay ground floor only. they come on the 16th of july to pack and 17th to uplift will take 8 weeks approx will have to pay import tax the other end approx $400

Guest robandmags

Hi Libby1971

Thank u for coming back to us. Unfortuately we have already had a quote from Whites whom for us have been the most expensive. Never mind we'll keep searching. Not looking forward to the move but am looking forward to getting over there.

Bye

Rob and Mags

Guest aogly1964@tiscali.co.uk

hi all we are going to use britannia appleyards from rotherham,but there are companys al over the uk.cheers andrew&sue.

Guest dglamoore
Hi Russfamily

just out of interest which removal company are you using? It sounds very cheap. We are still in the process of trying to decide who to use out of PSS and Pickfords. But whilst we are deciding our list of things to take is getting smaller by the day. We're aiming to fly out at the beginning of Sept.

Bye

Rob and Mags

We used Allied Pickfords. They price matched a lower quote and dropped £600 then dropped to 2% on insurance. I cannot recommend them enough :D They were fantastic in the UK and even turned the first container away as they found a small hole in it. Our container docked last Tuesday and they have kept us updated every step of the way from their Adelaide office so with any luck we will have our stuff next week - can't wait!!

Lisa:cool:

Guest donna T

We used Bishops move and they were fantastic - they used Kent at this end who were also fab. Only one pot broken and everything else fine.

The packers in Uk were amazing - I couldn't believe how organised our stuff looked once they had finished with them.