Wireless Broadband??? its a minefield

Carole Jolly

Hi

Been looking into the Wireless Broadband options and its a minefield. Not very techi, so just wondering if anyone has tried the 3 network, prepaid option. It might just buy us some time as we need to be online for Saturday 6 December until we sus out all these VOIP,ASDL things.

Does the 3 network work well and is it fast?

Thanks

Carole :notworthy:

I think it depends on where you are. We had 'Yes Optus' but it was slow and kept disconecting and the signal strength was all over the place. In the end we got a 'proper' home phone line connected and went with an adsl connection.

Pete

hi,im answering now on 3 network wireless network,prepaid.Its ok whilst we look into things a bit deeper,we bought the usb stick 1 month ago for 129 dollars from allphones and have a 6 gb cap per month, costing 39 dollars per month,but if you go over,(they dont let you know,you have to check online)you get seriously shafted,speeds differ depending on time of day,website etc.Unlimited fast internet is what we need,but this is adequate short term.Best of luck,sue.

Hi

Been looking into the Wireless Broadband options and its a minefield. Not very techi, so just wondering if anyone has tried the 3 network, prepaid option. It might just buy us some time as we need to be online for Saturday 6 December until we sus out all these VOIP,ASDL things.

Thanks

ADSL2 is the way to go if you can get it, i clocked my speed and it was 10mbps,:)

Guest Martin and Val
Hi

Thanks

We bought the 3 Wireless thingy when it was launched the other week on the pre-pay no contract option for $129 and we then bought the 12gb top up for $149. We cant fault it have down loaded loads and still haven't even used half gb yet. The beauty of the pre-pay out right purchase is if you reach the limit it stops working until you top it up. We can honestly recommend it, it works for us fine and they give you a small amount free to get you going straight away as you cant add your pre-pay voucher credit until you have registered and this takes 48 hours.

Martin

I would love ADSL2...

Shame Telstra cant get their act together and connect the phone lines...been waiting 3 months and now is in hands of the TIO!!

Dan

Don't get dan started on Telstra, it is a banned word around his house lol.

I would say Mobile broadband is ok for low usage and we had it when we first arrived however I now have ADSL 2 through Adam internet and that is very good.

Kris

Thanks everybody.

Kris, I did ring Adam Internet. It takes 5 to 10 business days to set up. That uses a Naked ASDL line and you can make phone calls on VOIP.

Saw a thread that also mentioned Internode too, so will have to look into that at some point.

so, sounds like the 3 network will keep us on line in the short term and see how it goes.

Thanks everybody.

Kris, I did ring Adam Internet. It takes 5 to 10 business days to set up. That uses a Naked ASDL line and you can make phone calls on VOIP.

Saw a thread that also mentioned Internode too, so will have to look into that at some point.

so, sounds like the 3 network will keep us on line in the short term and see how it goes.

check out Exetel too, i hear they are quite good, but the same 3 names crop up all the time.

I just signed up to a deal with Virgin that gives all Oz landline calls and 2gb broadband, for $60 monthly, you can increase to 4gb for $70 monthly. We don't use much internet but I'm a bit confused about the phone deal part of it because it's not a landline and waaayyy too technical for me :wacko: if any of you lovely technical people can clarify for me I would much appreciate it, I've still got 30 days cooling off, Ive put on the link, hopefully :err:

http://www.virginbroadband.com.au/wirelessbroadband/broadband-at-home.aspx

thanks

Jackie

• 2 weeks later...
I just signed up to a deal with Virgin that gives all Oz landline calls and 2gb broadband, for $60 monthly, you can increase to 4gb for $70 monthly. We don't use much internet but I'm a bit confused about the phone deal part of it because it's not a landline and waaayyy too technical for me :wacko: if any of you lovely technical people can clarify for me I would much appreciate it, I've still got 30 days cooling off, Ive put on the link, hopefully :err:

http://www.virginbroadband.com.au/wirelessbroadband/broadband-at-home.aspx

thanks

Jackie

Modem is satellite enabled. Phone plugs into that. 1 ethernet socket and wirless capabilities on modem. Wonderful!! That is if it worked. Very bad connection speeds and line will always drop out. Modem burns itself out... so they send a new one (after being on hold for 5.5 hours)... terrible cycle... terrible service... terrible Virgin (again!).

Check out www.whirlpool.net.au which is a communty-run forum about the internet of Australia etc.

Watch out of Telstra's amazing comment of: 'the closer you are to the exchange, the better your broadband (correct)... but we can't connect you to ADSL2 because there is not any plugs left at our exchange (false).' I know some ex-Telstra technicians and workers and they said they are told to say this to keep line space free etc.