Will our contents really arrive before us?

Denise

Hi all

Happy New Year, not been on for a while as I've been busy getting excited and organised for our move even though its 5 months away.

Just got our quotes for shipping and we have been advised to send our stuff 14weeks before we fly , this way we have a better chance of it being there when we get there.

Is it really this simple??

Sounds too good to be true.

Denise

It only takes 6 weeks to get out there. When it does, BEWARE of the tea leaving theifs at Port Adelaide. Then once it has gone through customs it goes to a Storage company.

Thats what i think.

James

It only takes 6 weeks to get out there. When it does, BEWARE of the tea leaving theifs at Port Adelaide. Then once it has gone through customs it goes to a Storage company.

Thats what i think.

James

Depends when the ship sails. If you just miss it, you have at least a month's wait for the next one. Ours took 3 months to get to Oz, then the local storage company hung on to it without telling us it was here!

Guest guest569

I believe 12 weeks travel time to get your container here.

Why do you want it here before you ??

I would try and time it to arrive 4-6 weeks after you so it arrives hopefully as you move into a rental.

I thought you had to have been in the country for at least 10 days before your container arrived - could be wrong and things could have changed in the last few months!

Think our container took about 8 weeks door to door - we sent it a month in advance.

I also thought somethings had gone missing whilst it had docked - forgot I'd sold them in the UK before we left!!

Good luck

Julie

Guest Martin and Val

Ours sailed on 23rd Oct and was delivered to us in Adelaide 18th Dec. Which we thought was very good.

When it leaves you in UK the container is security sealed in front of you and that seal is not broken until it is in a bonded warehouse this end which is under customs control. All staff working there are Customs cleared and nobody else can enter. I've not heard of any thefts from anybody and would suggest that it couldn't happen at the port and the only other place your container goes to before you is the company that is handling it for you.

Good luck with the move.

Martin

I believe 12 weeks travel time to get your container here.

Why do you want it here before you ??

I would try and time it to arrive 4-6 weeks after you so it arrives hopefully as you move into a rental.

We want our contents there for when we arrive as we will be moving into an unfurnished rental with a toddler and a baby.

Does anybody know the cost of storage in Adelaide if it was too arrive too early??

Guest guest569
We want our contents there for when we arrive as we will be moving into an unfurnished rental with a toddler and a baby.

Does anybody know the cost of storage in Adelaide if it was too arrive too early??

We had 2 weeks storage if required as part of the package from our shipping company. extra weeks were very reasonable. ( can't remember costs as over 3 yrs ago )

We also sent ours before us, and thought it was great getting an unfurnished rental and moving our own furniture in straight away...

Most times a few weeks are including in the price but they quoted us $40 a week to hold it if needed for longer, but thankfully we didnt need it as we got a rental before our contents had cleared customs..

So good luck and take care

Guest Martin and Val

We used Doree Boner in the UK which gave us 4 weeks free storage in the UK if needed, and once over here it was handed to Grace International and although we didn't ask them to store it for any period we have looked at our old quote and it would have cost around £40 per week plus a one off handling charge of £250.

Hope this helps.

Thanks everyone, its so difficult trying to decide how soon to send it and we know there are no guarantees on the other side with customs etc...

We have had a few quotes already from John Mason and Crown although they haven't mentioned free storage on the other side, Ill check it out.

THanks again

Hi Denise

You mention you have received quotes from John Mason and Crown. Are they local companies. We live near Manchester so would appreciate their telephone numbers for future reference, if you could let us have them that would be great.

Cheers

Alison x

Hi Alison

John Mason are based in Liverpool and Crown in Leeds, we live in Oldham so both pretty close.

I have heard great reports on John Mason which is why we have a quote from them, although once the quote are compared I think it will come down to cost in the end.

The number for John Mason is 0151 449 3938, if you go on their website you can do an estimate yourself using the house plan, pretty accurate although you will have to guess some items, ie we used ironing boards for snowboards!! The website is www.johnmason.com

Crown is www.crownrelo.com

Denise

Guest graandjac

:)Something else to look at .......its ok having it all here when you arrive ......but it will mean all that time in the yuk living out of suitcases...!!!!. We did for a week which was bad enough, when you get here with out anything everyone else mucks in a lends you stuff its all part of the adventure...hard at times but you get by, we woulden't have done it any other way

:)Something else to look at .......its ok having it all here when you arrive ......but it will mean all that time in the yuk living out of suitcases...!!!!. We did for a week which was bad enough, when you get here with out anything everyone else mucks in a lends you stuff its all part of the adventure...hard at times but you get by, we woulden't have done it any other way

Hiya Graham

We would be ok surviving without and you are so right about people lending a hand on arrival, I have already had offers of help which is great.

We are in a great position that we are moving in with my folks for 3months and they have a big house with everything we need plus beds and toys for the kids so we won't suffer.

To be honest we just cant wait to get everything packed up and sent, seems like we will be a step closer.

Also my folks live in walking distance to a pub and will be so desperate to get their hands on their grandchildren that we will have 3months of free babysitting!!!!

Thanks for advice though, we will probably be back on begging for stuff when our container sinks or gets stuck at customs, always the way!!:confused: