Tap Water

Guest barefoot

Guest barefoot

Hello again

I know another thread, but just wondered as a newbie to Adelaide if anyone when they first arrived had any issues with drinking tap water?

I know Adelaide is hardly third world but it will be still be foreign to my system

Thanks for looking

:-)

Guest Kazzarazza

Hi barefoot,

Absolutely no problem at all. United Utilites (for NW UK) are a major stakeholder in what was the old SA Water and the quality is excellant. 19 years in and still kicking for us. There was a lot of nasty rumours about Adelaide water, 30+ years ago - but that's all it was - nasty rumours, mainly started in the Eastern states and none of it true. The only trouble you might have is drinking it when it comes warm out of the tap in summer! Just keep a jug in the fridge and you'll be fine.

Guest guest569

Smells of chlorine slightly but perfectly ok for drinking. Remember water also tastes different from county to county in the Uk and you just get used to what you get.

You can get a puratap fitted if all else fails.:GEEK:

Our drinking water comes from a rainwater tank as the rest of it goes through a water softener. It is brown and has bits in it. We put it through a brita water filter jug which we did in the uk anyway. It is okay to drink but looks yuk! Lots of ozzies only drink water from the raintanks.

Guest stufi1997

According to the majority of oldies I look after you shouldn't drink the tap water....it's full of chemicals and things to make it safe!!!

Much better to drink the rain water that filters through the gutters in your house after running off the bird **** roof...then stored in dubious rainwater tanks filtered with an old stocking....yum yum!! Call me a sceptic but I'm ONLY drinking chemically modified water, thank you very much

We've been using tap water since we arrived here almost 9 months ago (can't quite believe that...doesn't time fly) apart from the odd bottled stuff....but that's costly! heehee fiona x

Guest Trakki

the tap water is safe but I like others think it has a bit of a funny taste so we filter it (brita water filter) and it is fine. Then again I thought our tap water in UK tasted funny and filtered that.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Jamie&Carrie

Would you believe it all tastes different dependant on which state you're in?

Here in SA it seems to have more fluoride and chlorine in it than the other states and the first 2 weeks I was here, I got the squits :shocked: intermittently and I'm almost certain it was the tap water BUT my body has adjusted to the water now and I'm drinking it like a vetran!

Guest Jamie&Carrie
Smells of chlorine slightly but perfectly ok for drinking. Remember water also tastes different from county to county in the Uk and you just get used to what you get.

You can get a puratap fitted if all else fails.:GEEK:

What Pash Pom says... :notworthy:

Guest gilmoresoz

You can buy filters that fit directly onto the taps for about $40 from woolworths /bunnings .we just bottle that tastes fine .

Darren ''THE MENS ROOM, BARBER SHOP''

Guest dave&jacky
You can buy filters that fit directly onto the taps for about $40 from woolworths /bunnings .we just bottle that tastes fine .

Darren ''THE MENS ROOM, BARBER SHOP''

Not as nice as Yorkshire bitter mate;););)

Cheers Dave

We buy the plastic containers from supermarkets when we're camping, but ijmo that's a really expensive way to do it on a everyday basis, also I rad one of these "strike panic into consumers" articles about how chemicals from the plastic leach out into the water which put me off a bit....

Anyway, it is pretty strong chloriney from the taps so we fitted a Bunnings under sink filter as recommended by someone above, and fill a glass bottle which we keep in the fridge and top up. That works best for us and we do drink a lot of water, which you need to do in this dry climate. Alternatively, just make sure all the water you drink has been mixed with grape juice and sugars, or hops and yeast, and you should be ok...

This is a quite amusing take on the issue....

http://www.saculture.com/entries/w.html

D

Guest sarahsmartiepants

Those who dont use a filter or pura tap look in your kettle or under a tap that has a bit of a drip, is it brown? My friends kettle was and so was under her outside tap, the kettle where i used to work was too, so I have pura tap:jiggy:

I was worried about the water before we moved here because I knew from enough holidays staying with the inlaws that they drank rainwater here, diss'd the tapwater, and I HATED the taste of the rainwater - tasted to me like when you've left a glass of water standing for a week and it goes 'stale'. That was before I knew about all the likely sediment, mosquito lavae etc in the rainwater tank...

So especially after knowing we needed a long term solution here, and being particularly concerned about the children, I asked friends here, Adelaidians etc who have children - what they drink and what they give their children. Answer from most of them is unfiltered tapwater.

I grew up in the midlands and the water there was floridated and chlorinated - so the taste doesn't bother me.

I also checked out on the net and the Gvt advice is don't give rainwater to children under 5 without it being boiled first, and also not to be drunk by pregnant women. (Have particular interest in the latter now too).

Very, very, happy, to be able to now substantiate my reasons not to give the boys rainwater but still don't quite trust the inlaws. However i dont need to trust them because DS1 is brilliant, hates the taste of rainwater, knows we drink tapwater (usually filtered) and announces "I don't like it, its rainwater".

All our friends of our own age here with their own houses- drink tapwater or pura tap water. All their parents, and don't even get me started on the grandparents - sound like the people mentioned in one of the posts above and you get an earbashing when you mention rainwater not being good enough.

Apparently rainwater is ok because the sediment is at the bottom of the tank, and the tap is above that point. Obviously bacteria aren't soluble and can't float.

Those who dont use a filter or pura tap look in your kettle or under a tap that has a bit of a drip, is it brown? My friends kettle was and so was under her outside tap, the kettle where i used to work was too, so I have pura tap:jiggy:

Two years in a house with a Puratap and my kettle stayed pristine white ...................... 8 weeks in a house without a filter and the kettle is a nice shade of poo brown inside.

The water here is foul.

Guest sarahsmartiepants
Two years in a house with a Puratap and my kettle stayed pristine white ...................... 8 weeks in a house without a filter and the kettle is a nice shade of poo brown inside.

The water here is foul.

Hi Wizzy how are you?

I know I wonder what it would do to my insides if i drank it would thy be like poo too!

could you have caught the bugs off the plane? Just a thought! Plus there's changing the pool of germs we are used to, change in climate (think you got here in winter like we did?)... Its an interesting thought though that it could have been the water. But I think there might be some other explanations...

Guest Martin and Val

We only got here in Oct but we are both still alive. It comes out of the tap we put it in the fridge because both taps are hot!!!! And we find it OK, t just tastes like water to us and the kettle was OK last time I looked in it. It is clear straight from the tap which it wasn't back in England and it doesn't smell at all.

Obviously just like England it must vary from suburb to suburb so maybe thats the start of a new thread.

Semaphore Park: Its OK

West Lakes: Its OK and out first place in Golden Grove was OK to.

Martin