Swimming Pool - Costs

Guest covfan71

Guest covfan71

Hi everyone, i have probably posted this under the wrong thread but i was just wondering how much it costs to run the average swiming pool over a year. that would be chemicals etc and heating costs (if heated)

Guest Guest75

It's not as expensive as some might think.

It depends on your set up and how you run the pool.

Regular maintenance is a must - keep on top of a pool or it's costly to get it back to use.

I've never costed our pool - we built it and had it for seven years now.

Ours is a Saltwater pool so no chlorine to add.

But there is acid to add to keep the PH correct.

There will be other stuff like adding buffer and perhaps some algaecide.

Have separate pumps for the filter and the solar heating - you have more control and be able to shut down one function if necessary.

Replacing parts is very expensive,most have to be high UV resistant.

I think I've replaced most parts now in 7 years.

I probably spend about 30 mins per week on the pool but always keep my eye on it.

Best thing we added was a Kreepy Krawly (Auto pool vac)

Motleyman who posts on here does pool service - good way to go - nice bloke too.

Motleyman who posts on here does pool service - good way to go - nice bloke too.

Couldn't agree more.

I spend about 5 minutes a day. It would be less if I had a timer on the pump.:biglaugh: Many a time I have had to visit the end of the garden at midnight to turn the forgotten pump off.

:idea:That reminds me I must pop down Bunnings.

Pete

Guest Martin and Val

We had a pool back in England and for the amount of time your able to use it (a couple of months per year) and the cost to heat it it's not worth having one. But here as far as we are concerned it's an absolute must.

Expensive to install from scratch and you would need a permit to fill it but if you already have one the cost isn't that bad to run it.

If you don't keep your eye on it it will go green not nice to swim in at all!

We use more Chlorine here than we did back in the UK and it's best to add this at night once the sun has gone down. Run the pump for at least 7-8 hours per day. (well thats what we did back in England so we do here automatically)

As Pete said a timer is a good idea for the pump just to save those late trips around the back of the garage.

Let the creepy crawly thing do the cleaning for you although I do enjoy cleaning it the old way with the vac head on the end of the pole.

About a hour a week tops all added together should see the maintenance done and then lay back and float.

A 5000 litre rain water butt does help with topping it up and rain water is free when it comes so save it all if you can!

A solar cover will help with heating and evaporation. Free heating can be supplied by the solar heating but to be honest you wont need that this time of year. Today is currently 36 degrees and our pool is a tad to warm at 30!!!! Oh well another cold West End draft is needed..

Guest Guest75
Sod the cost.:jimlad: I spent the whole day in the pool yesterday. I wouldn't have survived without it. :biglaugh:

Got to agree - some days are just priceless with a pool.

I remember seeing 30 kids in ours the other year when we had an Auseelife 1st birthday party.

It went strangely and tasted very salty when I dived in later ( could I have overdone it with the pool salt??):biglaugh:

Same as Tyke, solar heated salt pool with seperate pumps fully automatic, I keep the pool swimmable all year, once you have soughted out the PH, Chlorine and Alkalinity you only need to spen up 1 hr a week to maintain the thing, Kreepy does the rest as far as the $ goes each pump will cost around 20c per hour so if you run the filter 12 hours a day and the solar 8 hours a day in the summer and just the filter in mid winter for 4 hours day your up for around $1000 a year plus chemicals which cost about $100 a year.