Bringing Electrical items with you

Guest countdown1975

Guest countdown1975

Hi all,

Has anyone else brought electrical items with them - ie Tvs, dvds and hi-fis? I read somewhere that you would need to get them professionally changed over for the electricity supply in Oz. Does anyone have any ideas how much this would cost?

Thanks Vicki:jiggy:

or just bring a load of adaptors with you , make sure they are oz ones. I sent my hubster to asda for a load and didnt realise when we got here they are continental europe ones. Cheap as chips sell them for $6 a throw or just change the plug yourself , but i prefer the adapters as aus plus arent fused.

(disclaimer im not an electrician just my opinion as someone who can change a plug herself)

I brought with me my UK surge tower thingy for all the computer equipment. I wanted to plug in my phone (wireless) to use on the same desk. As I'm in a rental I couldn't change the single socket to and double so I got small aussie extention lead and cut off the plug and put on a UK plug that I could then plug into the tower.:biglaugh: I'm I the only person in history to replace an aussie plug for a UK one for use in Oz?????:biglaugh::biglaugh:

Pete

Guest Martin and Val

I just went to Bunnings and bought a box of plugs and changed them myself. Dead easy once you have done a few and at just over a couple of dollars it's not a lot of money.

You'll be very surprised how many you will need to change, I keep finding more to do each time I open another box!!!

And as previously said the UK 6 gang strips with an Aussie plug on the end work wonders for things like mobile phone, blue tooth, sat nav chargers and your UK landline phones if you bring them.

Aussie plugs are a strange design but once you are used to them they are OK. If you turn them upside down so that the earth pin is at the bottom and the screw terminals for the wires are facing you the wires go exactly the same direction as a UK plug ie. Earth to top pin , blue to left pin and brown to right pin.

I've found that 10 amp side entry plugs are the easiest to do and the ones that the cable comes straight out from the back of the plug are the most fiddly.

Watch you don't pick up 15amp plugs by mistake as once you have wired them up you will soon discover they don't fit the sockets!

I've never heard of anybody putting a UK plug on an Aussie appliance before! Pete you must be the first and only one to have done such a task!!:biglaugh:

Guest covfan71
I just went to Bunnings and bought a box of plugs and changed them myself. Dead easy once you have done a few and at just over a couple of dollars it's not a lot of money.

You'll be very surprised how many you will need to change, I keep finding more to do each time I open another box!!!

And as previously said the UK 6 gang strips with an Aussie plug on the end work wonders for things like mobile phone, blue tooth, sat nav chargers and your UK landline phones if you bring them.

Aussie plugs are a strange design but once you are used to them they are OK. If you turn them upside down so that the earth pin is at the bottom and the screw terminals for the wires are facing you the wires go exactly the same direction as a UK plug ie. Earth to top pin , blue to left pin and brown to right pin.

I've found that 10 amp side entry plugs are the easiest to do and the ones that the cable comes straight out from the back of the plug are the most fiddly.

Watch you don't pick up 15amp plugs by mistake as once you have wired them up you will soon discover they don't fit the sockets!

I've never heard of anybody putting a UK plug on an Aussie appliance before! Pete you must be the first and only one to have done such a task!!:biglaugh:

You mention a UK land line phone. Do the phones have the same connections then?

Hi there

We have been wondering whether to buy new fridge freezer and TV here and bringing them over- do you think its worth it? Really hard knowing whether to bring electrical stuff or not. :err:

Thanks, Lisa

Guest ReadyPenny

Lisa

I was told, although dont know if its true, that European Fridge freezers struggle to cope in the Aussie heat, the motors are not as strong or something. We are taking all our electrical goods, washer, dryer, tellys etc but not the fridge freezer, going to buy a new one in Oz

Mandy

Guest Martin and Val
Lisa

We are taking all our electrical goods, washer, dryer, tellys etc but not the fridge freezer, going to buy a new one in Oz

Mandy

Hi there

We have been wondering whether to buy new fridge freezer and TV here and bringing them over- do you think its worth it? Really hard knowing whether to bring electrical stuff or not.

Thanks, Lisa

You mention a UK land line phone. Do the phones have the same connections then?

Hi Mandy & Lisa,

The fridges here are bigger generally as you will tend to keep more stuff in them and I believe they are better insulated although don't quote me.

We bought new over here and after a power cut the other week which lasted at least 8 hours that we know of the Freezer was still OK and we didn't have to throw anything away.:)

If you have room to bring your stuff, why not bring it as it can always be used in the garage as a spare. I wish I brought our old fridge just to keep outside or in the garage with drinks in it. Yes we can buy another here but it would have saved us some money.

Don't buy new TV's bring your old ones but if you want new wait till you get here. (that's my view)

Covfan71,

Sorry I just spotted your question, the phone has a different RJ connection but all you need to do is unplug it and plug the new one in. That's the cable from the phone to the wall, so if you are unable to disconnect it from the phone end then it won't be of any use, although it would be quite old if you couldn't.

Hope the above is helpful.

Martin

Your fridge freezers will work just as well here. As mentioned by Martin though, you may find you need something a little bigger. Its an urban myth about them not being able to cope with the heat.

Pete