Removals - PSS or Brittania?

Guest alan smallman

Guest alan smallman

Hi to everyone.;)

Just had all our quotes in for removals and we seem to be liking either local firm Brittania (which is situated literally at the end of our rather long road) or PSS. Both reps were nice enough (as too was the guy from Whites). I suppose what i'm askin is, how DO you make you mind up when the price is almost identical? we haven't started to try and get the prices down yet (but we will). Has anyone got anything to say on the two before we make our minds up. as ever, your advice would be gratefully appreciated. We are aiming to move at the end of March if the guy who looked at our house goes ahead and fills in the forms committing him to rent it.

Many Thanks:notworthy:

Alan & Pauline

Guest ReadyPenny

I had this dilemma with PSS and Allied Pickford. However, after the initial quote, PSS did not want to know when I asked for further info, advice etc etc and I personally didnt find them very helpful. My first thought was, if this is how they are before they have my money, how will they be when my belongings are in the middle of the ocean and the cheque has cleared! Hence we decided not to use them.

To be fair though, I have not read any bad press about them either on here or on other forums. Never heard of Britannia, sorry. The prices do all tend to be much of a muchness!

Mandy

Guest alan smallman

Hi Mandy

Have left you a 'thanks' at the bottom of your reply. you're rught. they do all seem to be quite similar. I've read that one of the removals guys on the day used a client's loo and left a big smell. That kind of thing would put me off them also - yet we had the company in to quote and we got on famously with the rep (he didn't ask to use the loo tho!!).

How's things with the car? I read elsewhere that you had it stolen? Hope things are going well your end. We had a tenant lined up fo our house but his wife (who lives in london) said she wanted to be near the hospital where he (and we) work. It only takes me 7 mins to get there in the car!!!

We're contemplating just me going over to activate the visa and setting up as much as I can then my OH following later. It sound a goer on paper but I don't know if I've got the balls to do it on me own!!

Thanks again and good luck with your 'journey'.

Alan

Guest ReadyPenny

Thanks Alan

The car has been written off sadly and am just waiting for the insurance to pay me out now. We had a quote on Friday from John Mason, they reduced the price, were efficient and friendly and gave us some good advice that the others missed out. I would recommend them whole heartedly they are coming to pack us up on Friday next week! They have an office in Liverpool and one down south somewhere. Feel very comfortable with them, may be worth giving them a ring.

Mandy

Guest alan smallman

Hi both

Unfortunately, because we live in the backwaters of Lincolnshire, it was a bit of a trek for the guy to come out to see us from JM. He was a nice chap tho (sounded like Peter Kay:biglaugh:). I think we'll probably go with Brittania as they are literally at the end of our road (tho it is a quite a big road!!) Interested in JM reducing the price tho Mandy. What made them do that? Did you haggle?

:idea:Has anyone decided to go for Letton Percival's alternative Insurance? I've heard the difference can be considerable.

Glad to hear the car business is being sorted Mandy. Thanks. Also thanks to you lulujim.:notworthy:

XX Alan & Pauline;)

PS Love these smilie icons!!!

Got jobs back in April 08

Visa granted December 08

Quotes in for containers

House up for rent/sale

Planning ot go out at end of March 09!!!!

Guest ReadyPenny

Yes we are using Letton Percival, saved half the original amount quoted by shippers! I didnt haggle, per se, I just asked him was that the bottom line and he said no and gave us another £100 off. I know its not a lot but its better than nothing! Sending insurance docs off tomorrow and taking my chances with Letton, may be a mistake, only time will tell. I feel, from experience, that insurance companies are all as bad as each other when you make a claim, therefore you may as well use the cheapest!

Mandy

I would thoroughly recommend PSS, we used them in September and they were excellent, both ends. I had to phone a few times to ask things and found them to be very helpful. Got our stuff this end (4 weeks late but not their fault, the boat went to the wrong place!!!) and all was good.

HTH

Hello, wish you well on whoever u decide. We went with Britannia and thought they were great, from the very helpful Karen (who I rang several times with questions!) to the children friendly guys who packed the contents, nothing was too much trouble. Now I did have 2 scratches on my washing machine when it arrived in Adelaide, we claimed on our insurance and they paid up immediately (which shocked me!) Good luck with ur move, Claire from Scunny now Paradise!