starting packing up

Maggiemoo

hi there,

We are coming over in June and would like to start packing up things like cd's/dvd's that we will not be using before we come. We will obviously be getting our stuff shipped but as yet have not gotten any quotes.

My question is can we pack things up into boxes now or will this cause a problem with the packing/exporting company (I understand this has something to do with insurance?!)

If I can start packing things do I need to do a list of everything in each box i.e every DVD/CD?

Thanks for any advice.

Mags :huh:

Guest ReadyPenny

HI Mags

The shipping company told us not to pack anything at all. They will take things off shelves, out of drawers etc etc. The reason they gave is, as they have to clear it through customs both ends, they need to be sure that there is nothing in there that shouldnt be. We have simply been through the house and binned or given away everything that we are not taking. When the packers arrive on Friday they will quite literally pack everything they can see!

Hope this helps

Mandy

Thanks Mandy, I am sure I read somewhere that you can pack your shipment yourself (cheaper) once you have decided who to use, they then send you their boxes and you do the rest until they come to load?! Hopefully someone else will have a read and give some advice.

You must be off soon. Are you nervous? I notice you got your visa in December, did you already have everthing ready and waiting or have you done it all in the last month or so? It is amazing how much needs to be done!

Thanks again,

Mags

Guest ReadyPenny

Yes you can pack it yourself, forgot about that sorry! If you get someone round to give you a quote they will tell you the different options. The reason we decided against was that there is less likely to be problems at customs in Australia if it has all been professionally wrapped and packed for export.

Yes there is lots to do and no we are not ready! We will have to work like Trojans this week to get sorted, we have been awaiting the completion of our house sale and that is why we have booked the shippers just two weeks before we actually leave.

We are excited, nervous, happy and sad all rolled into one. The emotions are really difficult to handle at this stage. We have started the goodbye process and it is not pleasant, but necessary none the less.

Mandy

Guest LOOBYLOO

We packed a lot of stuff ourselves - just write on boxes cds/dvds/books/ornaments etc. Don't seal boxes so packers can check and write on the export/import forms. We used White & Co. Our stuff cleared customs ok.

Thanks Loobyloo, will probably get started then.

Mandy, good luck with everything, we have still got 4 months but I keep thinking of leaving family and it really upsets me. i have just downloaded skype and got us a webcam to test it all out. Seems ok. We have had our 136 for over 5 years now and it has taken us all this time to finally decide now is the right time. We are not selling our house in the uk but renting it out so if god forbid it doesn't work out we can always come back. We have been to Oz many times, even got married there 10 years ago so know what we are letting ourselves in for. Where are you hoping to settle?

Mags

Guest Mrs Dizzy Rascal
hi there,

We are coming over in June and would like to start packing up things like cd's/dvd's that we will not be using before we come. We will obviously be getting our stuff shipped but as yet have not gotten any quotes.

My question is can we pack things up into boxes now or will this cause a problem with the packing/exporting company (I understand this has something to do with insurance?!)

If I can start packing things do I need to do a list of everything in each box i.e every DVD/CD?

Thanks for any advice.

Mags :huh:

Hi Mags what day do you depart in June , we're going June 11th flying with Cathy Pacific, we're hoping to ship our belongings out in April so we'll have them when we arrivexx:arghh::realmad::notworthy:

Guest ReadyPenny
Thanks Loobyloo, will probably get started then.

Mandy, good luck with everything, we have still got 4 months but I keep thinking of leaving family and it really upsets me. i have just downloaded skype and got us a webcam to test it all out. Seems ok. We have had our 136 for over 5 years now and it has taken us all this time to finally decide now is the right time. We are not selling our house in the uk but renting it out so if god forbid it doesn't work out we can always come back. We have been to Oz many times, even got married there 10 years ago so know what we are letting ourselves in for. Where are you hoping to settle?

Mags

Thanks for your good wishes Mags. We are going to the hills, Eden Hills/Blackwood area and are hoping to stay there.

Mandy

Your welcome Mandy, good luck for the future.

Dizzy Rascal, we are leaving on 15 June with Qantas and stopping over in Singapore for 2 days. We are staying with a friend for a few weeks when we get there so no rush for our stuff in the beginning. Hopefully we will have found a rental by the time it all arrives. Where are you hoping to settle? We are staying in Elizabeth with friend and then looking at Greenwith/Golden Grove area, we have a 9 year old son so need to find a good school. OMG it is all so overwhelming!!!:D:goofy::arghh: