Right, who works for what company and can get me the best deal?

jo_marnes

Not long before we arrive now and I have just been browsing landline/ broadband/ mobile/ TV providers and I'm brain dead! lol

I know there are people on here who work for 3 etc and was wondering what deals you can do? Please PM me and I'll let you know what we are after.

Thanks!

Jo xx

These are my recommendations having been here 9 months now and followed recommendations from rellies.

Broadband...adam internet , high speeds and larger download limits far far cheaper than telstra ,optus etc and better customer service. uk is unlimited download , you dont get that here due to the issues with the cables coming into aus, we get 20gb for $54 a month which is great, i know some people pay that for a miserly 4 gb with telestra...avoid at all costs!!

Foxtel, bit like sky personally think its a waste of money here as you probly wont watch much tv but we got it for the kids tv channels , less choice than uk though especially music channels. Otherwise just buy a freeview box.

Landline , we use telstra their customer service is appalling though and i think you need the brain the size of a microbe to work for them. No much choice there im afraid.

Anyway just my own opinions to get you started, hope it helps, we followed advise from our aussie rellies.

Guest stufi1997

Hi, we use an optus wireless landline it costs $29 a month and you get charged 0.164c for calls to landlines anywhere in australia, whatever the duration of the call. we use phone cards to call UK, Spain and France and this works out the best for us. Apparently you can take the box to your friends house if you're visiting and still have your landline with you (just need an electricity outlet).....I've never actually tried it, but since it uses a sim card you don't have the hassel of changing numbers and the like if you move home, just your address for billing. I have a pay as you go optus mobile too which I've got to say is very good value compared to my o2 one back in the uk. I do think if you get everyones opinions it'll be easier to work out what's best for you....good luck Fiona

Guest Martin and Val

We use Telstra for the land line because they were the only company that could connect the line when we wanted it. All the others were quoting 3-4 weeks. Telstra did it the very next day, it was so easy to set up and there is no contract as such so we can cancel at any time.

BUT as it has been said their customer service is **** I have had endless arguments with them over the bill. All seems OK now though. We pay an extra $10 per month for international dialing pack which gives us cheap calls to the UK.

For the Internet we bought a 3 wireless dongle key out right for $129 and then bought a top up voucher for $149. This works really good and we have no issues with it. $149 buys you 12gb and is valid for a year. We've had it since Nov and so far still have about 7 gb download left. We are always on the Internet so it has worked out well in our opinion and with no contract what so ever as we bought the wireless key we will must likely carry on with this once it has run out.

Hope this helps

Martin

Not long before we arrive now and I have just been browsing landline/ broadband/ mobile/ TV providers and I'm brain dead! lol

I know there are people on here who work for 3 etc and was wondering what deals you can do? Please PM me and I'll let you know what we are after.

Thanks!

Jo xx

Have a look at www.broadbandguide.com.au for info on telephone and internet providers.

Claire's suggestion of Adam is a good one but also look at Netspace and Internode. If you like to download, watch out for the providers that charge you when you go over; the 3 I've mentioned will shape, not charge, but I know Bigpond (and maybe Dodo?) charge.

J.

Guest Martin and Val
watch out for the providers that charge you when you go over

That's what is good about the 3 pre pay once it runs out thats it, it stops working until you recharge.

Martin

Guest caoimhe

For the Internet we bought a 3 wireless dongle key out right for $129 and then bought a top up voucher for $149. This works really good and we have no issues with it. $149 buys you 12gb and is valid for a year.

Martin

We had 3 wireless dongle and we had better dial up connection 5 years ago, it was awful. Obviously it must have been were we lived. We have now moved to Dodo pay $89pm for 200GB, my O/H is a very very very heavy user and downloads loads, which he couldn't do with 3, good thing is if we go over our limit with Dodo our line speed drops but don't pay extra.

Optus is good for pay as you go mobile just make sure you top up every month or you lose your credit.

Telestra seems to be the best for home phone pay an extra $10 per month and get 2c per minute calls to UK, although we are considering going with one of those Oz cards to cut down the bills.

BTW if anyone wants a 3 wireless dongle they can have ours

the 3 I've mentioned will shape, not charge, but I know Bigpond (and maybe Dodo?) charge.

J.

What do you mean by 'shape'?

We don't download much - watch the odd YouTube clip and go on Skype. Otherwise its just browsing and e-mails. Have no idea how many GB we'd require!

Guest Wersal Gummage
What do you mean by 'shape'?

We don't download much - watch the odd YouTube clip and go on Skype. Otherwise its just browsing and e-mails. Have no idea how many GB we'd require!

With some ISP's plans you will be charged for every MB you go over your download/upload limit, others will shape you, meaning slow you down to a lesser speed usually 64kbs as good as Dial up.

If I were you I would start low, maybe 5GB per month and if it's not enough increase it.

ISP's will usually charge for reducing your plan but its usually free to increase it so start low and increase rather than high and reduce.

I would stay clear of the plans that dont shape as the extra usage can soon mount up to a few $$$$$$

HTH;)

Guest kangomik

the 3 mobile dongle does not warn when you go over the limit, then it costs about a dollar for every 10MB, so it can add up very quickly.

We have 4gb a month, down load very little, but use skype 3 or 4 times a week for web cam to rellies and that takes 200mb per hour call. Without the web cam its little useage.

Had problems in the beginning, rang up and they tweaked a few settinga and everything is fine now, works alot better on the tower than the laptop so i guess thata a memory thing.

Optus pay as you go.

No land line due to being in rented.

No foxtel, good if you like motor sports, but you have to stay up late.