Can I take wicker baskets?

likesshopping

Ok, Im starting to freak out a bit now, shipping date is getting close and our rental is full of odd bits & bobs....the sort of things you sit and ponder about...shall I bin it, give it away or take it..?:eek:

I ve already packed about 15 boxes when we moved out of our house into rental and the things here were meant to be things to live with for 7 months.......but you know how it is, kids acclumatate stuff!!

Ive know Ive got to be ruthless:mad:......but so many things hold memories:rolleyes:, but then again, its things that just have sat in the back of a drawer....

Anyway, back to original question....do you know if we can take wicker baskets?....ive got loads

sarahx

Guest ralph n bev

Hi Sarah,

i'm sure you can't take wicker baskets, also if you have cane conservatory furniture i think it has to be sterilized or steamed or something .

Like richjop says if i were you i'd ask the packers, surley they will have a list of can and can't takes.

Bev

Guest dglamoore

We were told by Allied we could take our wicker laundry basket and we have friends over here that got their wicker through without problems or extra charges :o

We bought loads and loads of wood with us which we declared and again no problem. The only thing we could not get to bring was our wooden chopping board due to the possibility of food remnants :confused:

Lisa:cool:

• 1 year later...

Hi Guys,

We are moving in to rented before we leave for Australia. We're not sure whether to take all our wicker stuff or not?? We've got loads of the stuff, hampers, baskets, cane chairs etc...reading through this post is seems like it's not advised.. but people have been ok if they have done it?

I'm so confused... :confused: would hate to chuck away all the stuff if we don't need to... but don't want to be stuck with a huge bill in Aus either!!

ANY advice is hugely appreciated,

Many thanks, Alexis

Guest graandjac

:)I think that wicker is a no-no , saying that we sneaked some baskets in to our boxes, not sure if you can manage to do the same with chairs, we had to leave behind some lloyd loom stuff. Also dont think you will be left with a bill as the items will just be destroyed. cheers \Graham

Hi Guys,

We are moving in to rented before we leave for Australia. We're not sure whether to take all our wicker stuff or not?? We've got loads of the stuff, hampers, baskets, cane chairs etc...reading through this post is seems like it's not advised.. but people have been ok if they have done it?

I'm so confused... :confused: would hate to chuck away all the stuff if we don't need to... but don't want to be stuck with a huge bill in Aus either!!

ANY advice is hugely appreciated,

Many thanks, Alexis

I was told last week by Pickfords that no I couldn't take anything wicker

Guest Aussie pat

We are going to risk it and see what happens at the other end. We have 3 lovely antique chairs with rush seats that we don't want to throw away unless we definately have to. Our dining chairs also have woven seats. Our shipping agent doesn't think we'll have a problems even though the customs website says the opposite. We don't know who to believe and thought we'd see what happens. We'd be upset if we got rid of things we didn't have to.

I'm surprised that you had to leave your Lloyd Loom things Graham as they are made of wire and paper and don't contain any wicker etc.

Hi There,

no wicker, I was gutted i had to leave my girls pretty baskets.

Never mind that was the first time i thought of them since arriving here.lol

Lauraxxxxxxxxxx

I know - it's a shame, but a small sacrifice I guess. Sounds like you're enjoying life down under more.... so pleased - are you considering staying? :)

Hi,

like all above, we have been told, no wicker, no bark, nothing made from hazel twigs, no pine cones blah de blah..... currently butchering my xmas decos; the boot sales have been splendid for getting rid of the wicker baskets etc. maybe i could dispense with the wall placques made from bark and stuff, but NO way do i lose my tree......