leather sofa's

Guest tracynsteve

Guest tracynsteve

hi,we are debating to take our leather sofa with us which is getting a bit shabby,would it be better to replace it here or buy new when we arrive?are they expensive?:eek:thanks.

I seem to recall something on the removals forms about listing items bought within the 12 months before leaving UK, we were told this was to do paying some sort of tax on them. Sorry but I can't remember exactly what it was.

Off topic but Sarah,

I noticed you live extremely close to me so if you ever fancy a cuppa and a chin wag........

Guest dglamoore

The leather sofas we have seen over here have been cheaper than the one we bought in UK. :o Saves room in the container for other stuff too ;)

A new one from the UK will have a strong leathery smell too so may gets picked up on for GST as our leather sofa was checked by AQIS. You may have to show it is over a year old to avoid paying any charges.

We bought ours with us as it was in nearly new condition:D

Lisa:cool:

Guest Guest75
hi,we are debating to take our leather sofa with us which is getting a bit shabby,would it be better to replace it here or buy new when we arrive?are they expensive?:eek:thanks.

We have just ordered a couple of 3 seat leather sofas here.

Leather seems to be much cheaper here - cheaper than fabric!!

Quality is good as well.

We have paid $1800 each for good quality Italian leather modern look sofas.

It did take some haggling to get that price but worth it :D

mmm I'd have to agree, they just don't seem to make them like they are in the U.K.

We were looking for a leather one to begin with but found the quality not up to much and a hefty price tag.

But, again, its down to personal choice. If you love your sofa so much bring it with you as you'll only regret it this side.

Judi :)

Guest dglamoore
We have just ordered a couple of 3 seat leather sofas here.

Leather seems to be much cheaper here - cheaper than fabric!!

Quality is good as well.

We have paid $1800 each for good quality Italian leather modern look sofas.

It did take some haggling to get that price but worth it :D

Agree 100% with you on this one Tyke. We paid the same amount but in pounds in the UK for each of our sofas. Good quality ones are definitely better value over here :o

Guest Guest75
Agree 100% with you on this one Tyke. We paid the same amount but in pounds in the UK for each of our sofas. Good quality ones are definitely better value over here :o

They had better be ------------I've bought them now.

Just hope they are Bedlington proof!!:eek:

Guest tracynsteve

hi,thanks for all your replies,but still don't know what to do!maybe sell our old one before will go and just buy one out there.save on shipping???

Guest Aussiebound

Is it true that some leather sofas don't make it through customs???

Had read somewhere that leather from some places is not allowed - anyone any information on this. We have leather furniture that is only a few years old that we was intending to bring with us.

Sarah

Guest dglamoore

Hi Sarah

I have never heard of this one and we had no problems at all with ours or our wooden bits that we declared. Maybe some untreated animal skin products may cause a problem :rolleyes: