Where to live?

Guest Rob&SamThomas

Guest Rob&SamThomas

Hi - I know this is a really emotive question but we have fortunate in obtaining PR visas and my husband starts his job in June. We are really looking forward to being in Adelaide but concerned about where to rent a property initially?. We have been looking at Evanston Park, Andrews Farm and Mawson Lakes. Are these areas ok? We have 2 young children and really want the transition to be easy for them and wouldn't want to end up living somewhere not very nice (I know we all have our own definition of nice).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sam :jiggy:

Guest caoimhe

Hi Sam,

A lot would depend on where your husband is working, you have mentioned a few areas in the north so I gather that may be were he will be based. Mawson Lakes is lovely be most of the houses have very little or no gardens so having 2 young kids it may not be for you, I know I wouldn't go there but again that's because I have 4 kids and a garden is important to me. I don't know anything about Evanston Park and Andrews farm is nice, in fact I think IanB on here lives there.

If it is the North were your hubby will be working than could also consider the following area, all are lovely and quite near where you have mentioned

Salisbury Heights

Salisbury East

Golden Grove

Greenwith

Wynn Vale

Hillbank

Redwood park

Banksia Park

Fairview Park

There are more but I can't think of the names of hand get a suburb map and look around these areas and you should be ok

Good luck

Guest Rob and Clare
Hi - I know this is a really emotive question but we have fortunate in obtaining PR visas and my husband starts his job in June. We are really looking forward to being in Adelaide but concerned about where to rent a property initially?. We have been looking at Evanston Park, Andrews Farm and Mawson Lakes. Are these areas ok? We have 2 young children and really want the transition to be easy for them and wouldn't want to end up living somewhere not very nice (I know we all have our own definition of nice).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sam :jiggy:

Hi Sam,

I don't know that much of Andrews Farm or Evanstan Gardens but they're both good areas, I can tell you about Mawson Lakes though.

Part of what Jacqueline mentioned is true there are some houses that have built a 300m2 house on a 300m2 piece of land, but there are not that many like that, I think some people have that impression as a lot of the houses are double story and as the area is still very new (certainly less than 10 years old) there isn't much mature planting to break up the houses.

Mawson Lakes though is still suited to people who enjoy going outside to do activities rather than staying in the home,with tons of outdoor open spaces, there is a creek that runs through the centre, 4 lakes near where we live and more off road cycle tracks, this does mean that couples and families are out all the time, either walking around the estate or cycling together, playing cricket, soccer and AFL. There are not to many areas which can offer you this to get you out the house. There are also numerous playgrounds and outdoor bbq's again to get people out and active. I took my dogs out last night at 8:30 and the lakes are still busy with walker and runners, which always gives you a sense of security and community.

We also have heaps of planned activities including tour down under concerts, recently we had a Harmony day, free Tai che, outdoor cinema, outdoor fitness club, craft courses, bmx events, fireworks nights, carols at xmas and more..

We also have 7 restuarants, plus 3 fast food outlets with more to follow including a cinema complex.

There are tennis courts, a 2 on 2 basketball court, golf course, local soccer club, local AFL team, fishing competitions, patank, model yaught sailing. etc..

We are only 15 mins from the city by car, 10 mins by train (the train station is also an interchange, meaning the buses and trains wait for each other to ensure no-one waits to long for connections), 10 mins to tea tree plaza, 20 mins to west lakes, and 10 mins from Semaphore beach.

Whilst like many people I cannot see past where we live, I do think there are a lot of good areas in the north / north east which whilst don't offer the lifestyle of Mawson Lakes they are still very good and all offer something a little different. So I would include Golden Grove, Walkley Heights, Gulfview Heights, Northfield, Greenwith, Modbury, St Agnes, Craigmore, in your search, but you may find another area which you fall in love with and suits you perfectly.

Good Luck

Guest sandar1

Please say where your husband is going to be working and I will post a reply, I have lived all over the metropolitan area over the years, and you really do need to take this into account because commuting in this place can be a huge pain in the neck if you have to travel from one end of town to the other. Also what type of work will he be doing if it is shift work it maybe isn't quite so bad, but 9 to 5 is a pain in the neck with the transportation also.

All the best.

Sandra D

Guest philnjulie

hi, totally agree with rob and claire about mawson lakes yes you do get a few houses with very little garden , we have 5 kids and and they have plenty of room and freedom you could also manage with 1 car as you have all the shops in walking distance schools and kindy too, not forgetting the beach is only 10mins away get in touch if can help anymore phil

Guest Rob and Clare
hi, totally agree with rob and claire about mawson lakes yes you do get a few houses with very little garden , we have 5 kids and and they have plenty of room and freedom you could also manage with 1 car as you have all the shops in walking distance schools and kindy too, not forgetting the beach is only 10mins away get in touch if can help anymore phil

Shout out and say hello if you see a bloke walking around with 2 beagles.

I've been looking at display homes in Mawson lakes, first impressions for me was its gorgeous it still has many new homes being built and there is quite a variety from bungalows to town-houses the houses infront of the lake part area are absolutely fabulous, not to put to much of a dampener on it have been told they get a lot of mozzie's there as part of it is built on swamp land but unsure if its different to anywhere else that has water near it, it does seem like a self contained community though lots of boards advertising Mawson Lakes with shops, restaurants and also office's, it is slightly more expensive than the other areas your looking at but then you've got good commuting distances to most places in the north.

Andrews farm has a whole lot of new builds going on up there its about a half-hour trip to city centre, been looking at display houses up there as well, I like it up there too its a little quieter than Mawson Lakes, The land and astablished houses are cheaper you could get more for your money, it depends what you want.

Neither place has a bad reputation. Sorry can't tell you about Evanston Park not been there yet.

Julie

Guest caoimhe
Hi Sam,

Part of what Jacqueline mentioned is true there are some houses that have built a 300m2 house on a 300m2 piece of land, but there are not that many like that, I think some people have that impression as a lot of the houses are double story and as the area is still very new (certainly less than 10 years old) there isn't much mature planting to break up the houses.

Good Luck

Please don't think I was putting Mawson Lakes down as I wasn't. The homes that I have been in had no gardens just a small patio area at the rear, this wouldn't suit me as when I am busy in the house I like to know my 'monsters' are contained where I can see them. It just depends what each individuals needs are.

Guest Rob and Clare
Please don't think I was putting Mawson Lakes down as I wasn't.

Not at all, and I certainly agreed with you that some houses fill the plot of land almost completely, I was just trying to offer some perspective as some plots offer very decent size gardens.

When we finally feeler safer at work to take a loan out we will develop the rest of our garden, and build a 2nd larger veranda, pool and get a proper aussie shed.

Guest Rob and Clare
they get a lot of mozzie's there as part of it is built on swamp land but unsure if its different to anywhere else that has water near it,

Julie

I've heard all this too, and whilst it's true about the swamp, it's also true much of the adelaide plains were swamp at some point, Mawson Lakes was drained over 30 years ago to make pasture land.

As for the mozzies I'm not sure if there are more or not, but on an episode of Better homes and gardens once, some people filled in a swimming pool to make a pond for fish and plants (why you would anyone do that, but i suppose it's more ecologically friendly), anyway the guy asked about mozzies and apparantly biting mozzies don't breed in moving water or deep water. The main breeding ground for mozzies are man made, plant pots, swimming pools and gutters (warm still water).

I guess wherever everyone chooses to live the reasons should be sound and practical for their own circumstances, not based on old wives tales.

Hi Sam,

A lot would depend on where your husband is working, you have mentioned a few areas in the north so I gather that may be were he will be based. Mawson Lakes is lovely be most of the houses have very little or no gardens so having 2 young kids it may not be for you, I know I wouldn't go there but again that's because I have 4 kids and a garden is important to me. I don't know anything about Evanston Park and Andrews farm is nice, in fact I think IanB on here lives there.

If it is the North were your hubby will be working than could also consider the following area, all are lovely and quite near where you have mentioned

Salisbury Heights

Salisbury East

Golden Grove

Greenwith

Wynn Vale

Hillbank

Redwood park

Banksia Park

Fairview Park

There are more but I can't think of the names of hand get a suburb map and look around these areas and you should be ok

Good luck

Any of the above, plus Mawson Lakes, and Highbury, Dernancourt, Hope Valley, Vista, Tea Tree Gully, all within good commuting distance to Parafield Airport.

When are you hoping to arrive?

Diane

Guest Rob&SamThomas

Thanks for all of your replies they have been a great help. We are really looking forward to moving out in June and no doubt will have lots more questions before we do.

Sam;)