Trying to find a job

Guest mark&rachel

Guest mark&rachel

Morning to all, i'm not happy, how hard is it getting a job. I have applied for jobs and no one ever gets back to you, not even we have received your application and will get back to you, not a dicky bird. Have applied for jobs using the SEEK website, they send you a generated e mail saying job application confirmation, but again don't hear anything, i don't even know if my application has been passed on. Has anyone else used SEEK, i feel like i'm wasting my time. I have even done cold calling, dropping in my resume and again, nothing. I really want to work in a coffee shop or a cafe, and would love to become a barista, i have even done a 1 day barista course. I was a police officer in London and have bags of customer and people skills. So what's the problem. I just don't understand, it seems like people are put off by me, just by my resume, it's not a bad resume and i have got all the skills neccessary to get into 'hospitality'. I'm really frustrated. I put a post on Gumtree, and to my surprise someone contacted me saying we need staff in our cafe, we will provide training, contact me if you are interested, so i did via gumtree and it seemed promising, but then i e mailed my resume and nothing, then i see an advert on gumtree form the same cafe wanting reliable and hardworking staff, what a kick in the teeth. So i e- mailed back asking for feedback and guess what, you could hear a pin drop. Even the big arches don't want me....Does anyone have any ideas how i can get the job i want to do or have the same problem in getting a job. I can't see any light at the end of the tunnel. :arghh:

Guest tooeasy

as kerfumph said a lot of these places want school kids my son was looking for a job and the foodland by us said he was too old and he is 18 lol he works at maccas now till he starts his apprenticeship and 90% of the staff are school kids so they dont have to pay them much and most of them are casual i know coles are always looking for staff just depends on what you want to do and wages aren't too bad either

yes im the same tried loads of places and they dont even acknowledge the fact the got ur resume. Im thinking im un-employable. I find it so annoying especially when i go somewhere (not gona name anything - dont need the stress) and recieve rubbish service, knowing i cud better its crazy an im really fed up with it.

Its got to the stage now when i try 4 somthing i dont expect to hear anyything back, thats not a good way to be but im so disheartened by it,:sad:

I think its an "age" thing too, a lot just want kids

the thought of being un -employed at 27 is killing me:arghh:

Good luck with your search and i hope you get somthing soon

There are a lot of places that employ just the young ones for cost saving purposes but you do see a lot of people who are in the 30 and over age group who are working at Deli's etc. In the city you see a lot of "shift workers" working between the busy lunch time period of 11.00am to 2.00pm and most of those people are in the mature age group. Most people who work in the Central Market are well into their 40s and 50s (I know that is far out from where you live). Get someone to check your resume it may be that people also think you are over qualified for the job.

My daughter is a barista in a coffee shop on North Terrace. (Bean Bar opposite the station ........ GREAT coffee!!!) She's worked at 6 or 7 different places over the last 8 years and it's generally all casual work. Most of the coffee shops are franchises and often employ family members to cover the odd shifts. Quite often my daughter is called in at very short notice, and has 6am starts to catch the business rush. The nature of the business also means that you can get sent home if business is slow, and being casual that means less pay. It helps to have some short order meal prep, or sandwich/wrap/rolls training as most places also serve light snacks. You just have to keep plugging away to get a job. Don't let age worry you, the coffee shops employ all ages, school kids are not available for work during the busiest times!!

I'll ask my daughter if she knows of anything going so you can get your foot in the door, but you might have to be prepared to travel to the city to do it.

Good luck

Sharon

Guest mark&rachel

Thanks for your post Sharon, all i want is casual work, i would even travel to the city, just want someone to give me a chance, i know i can do a great job that's why it's frustrating, have good day.

Rach,

You have just got to keep trying, keep knocking on those doors, keep making the phone calls.

The missus was in the same position as you over two years ago. She'd been out of the workforce for over ten years in the UK - she used to work at Central London 5* hotels.

Came over here with three boys over four years ago. Money was very tight so she strarted looking for work as well. She had a few interviews for reception jobs - never heard nothing back from any of them - it is just the South Australian way. As we were expecting it, she didn't let her get her down - just kept plodding on.

Dropped her CV off at a local motel and was called by the manager that night. She started the following day - there wasn't even a position advertised - the manager was of the opinion that he didn't want to lose someone of her calibre and experience. She started as a casual receptionist, was running the desk within a few months and is now management.......all from dropping her CV off!!

Keep trying mate........accept some advice from an old suit from VW.

Guest Aussie pat

A friend was in your position a year ago and did the rounds of all the coffee shops only to find that a few offered her a day's trial. She wasn't paid for the day and they did not offer her a job after that. Apparently it's a common tactic to get free labour. She has since had success in finding a job as a receptionist/concierge in an apartment building in North Adelaide. It may be worth trying these sorts of places including motels closer to you for reception work. Once you have a local reference it may open more doors for you and give you better contacts. Good luck

Stick at it! i have found it the totaly different with me and misses getting jobs in a matter of days here that pay alot more than out UK jobs.

I got mine from ringing around, show your face, people here seem to like having a POM around as customers seem to like talking to us in a work enviroment

Guest cornish Busdriver

Have you thought about thinking out side the box and try something compleatly different.

If you want to work with the public then theres lots of different avenues to persue not just coffee shops and cafes.

Just an idea

• 1 month later...
Guest martin495

Hi we came on my trade visa and got a job quite easily v.diffrent for my wife though she just wants a job to meet people and have a little money but its just not happening in the meantime its hard not to get more and more depressed. We live in christies at the mo, and just try to keep positive its been nearly six months now and im quietly resigned to the fact that the next real chance will come at christmas hiring. contact us if you want mutual support.

Regards Martin and Dawn 43 38 and girls

I am a qualified chef,been pounding the streets now for the 3 months we have been here.I went to every shop at Seaford mall with my C.V.I got a phone call for an interview at red rooster.got the job and picked my own Hours.They thought that mature poeple wouldn't do that job!I now have my middle aged fan club that think it's great to get good service and the company are starting to think they may have to employ more of us!

Guest nakigirl
I am a qualified chef,been pounding the streets now for the 3 months we have been here.I went to every shop at Seaford mall with my C.V.I got a phone call for an interview at red rooster.got the job and picked my own Hours.They thought that mature poeple wouldn't do that job!I now have my middle aged fan club that think it's great to get good service and the company are starting to think they may have to employ more of us!

Good on you! My hubby is 47 and has just recently made the move from being a passionate home cook to working full time in a local cafe. The business owners were specifically looking for a mature staff member because of bad experiences with younger employees. I think that there is starting to be a real shift in employers realising the benefits in employing more mature staff.

Guest martin495

Hi again just to let you know that persistance does pay off, my wife has just got a job after going for one she wasnt very happy about, she has no formal qualifications but a nicer person you wont meet, turns out they liked her alot and offered her a better one.

Pressure off what a releif can start living now.

Keep going it will break for you.

Guest Ellie

It appears I'm having the same problem. At least I'm not on my own, I was beginning to take it personal. I live in Aldinga and I have been applying for jobs in the City even. I haven't had one single reply. I have applied also through career one who sent an email confirming my application etc but I heard nothing. Not even thanks but no thanks. I don't have any Australian qualifications but my CV shows all my history in finance etc and I'm not stupid. However, I clearly can't pack boxes in the City!! Most want certificates and at the moment I just can't afford to pay to take the courses. I don't even know what I want to do anymore. It's so disheartening. In the meantime everything is on my Husbands shoulders and we are struggling.

Guest Guest5035
Have you thought about thinking out side the box and try something compleatly different.

If you want to work with the public then theres lots of different avenues to persue not just coffee shops and cafes.

Just an idea

Whats up Matt, short on drivers??:biglaugh: If things go the way i want them too, i might be after a job myself, whats the bus driver job like, wages ,hours,shift times, licence learning etc etc.

Stevo