Water heater in loft no flu or vent HELP!

Guest nic-manchester

Guest nic-manchester

Hi not sure if I am posting on the right spot here but help me out....

Just ad foxtel install cable in loft an they noticed a heating burning smell they told me that the system for heating the water is up there and it looks to have blackened the lagging in the loft an there is no flu or vent for the heat to escape....potential fire hazard.

I contacted the landlord via estate agents who said there is nothing they can do been up there plenty of times an it is hot but nothing wrong.

Even I am a woman and know that heating systems need to be vented, feel sick the trusses are wooden my kids bedrooms are underneath it an it's mad hot outside.

Is there any plumbers or wha not on here who know the Aussie rules on this sort of stuff, estate agents said there is nothing they can do without anything further to go on landlord not budging.

They said if I can get someone who knows about these things put it in a letter they can sort it out.

Very worried Nicola

I know nothing about that stuff but I was wondering whether it would be helpful to contact the manufacturers of your heating system and see what they recommend. Or perhaps there will be an installation guide online you could look at. Neither the owner nor agents could argue if the manufacturers installation spec has not been met. Plus if the heater hasn't been correctly fitted surely any insurance policies on the house/contents etc would be invalidated.

Remember, the Foxtel guys aren't necessarily water-heating experts and what sounds like commonsense to them, and us, might not be relevant. It's great they told you though :smile:

:wubclub: LC

Guest nic-manchester

Thanks

I have rob off here coming to look to make sure it is safe, can always count on PIA for someone to help out! Will see what he says manufacturers may be my next spot.

Thanks

Nicola

Guest nic-manchester

Hi guys well that's over for now, great guy rob came and shut gas off burnt roof eroded burner and flames hitting roof could have seriously gone up in smoke, so good to k ow your landlords actually care about there tenants was fuming, can't get hold of estate agents they can't send anyone out or authorise anyone over 200$ so no hot water but at least it's safe next chapter tomorrow!!

Cheers for support guys Nicola

Guest nic-manchester

Hi rob don't mind at all, think kids a bit scared keep asking if the fire has gone! Thank you again appreciate it between you an the foxtel guy you have done your good deed for the year see you soon x

Thanks

Nicola and Nathan, liv an Bella

Hi

That's terrible, no wonder you were worried to say the least. Can I ask who you lease it from - is it the rental agency or the landlord that is creating a problem? If it was me I would send the pictures to the rental agency and threaten the ombudsman as you have photographic proof - don't know whether that will help or not but both those parties have legal obligations to carry out for you as the tenant.

Good luck with it and keep posting of the outcome if you can.

Jason & Niki

Guest nic-manchester

Well now even with the photographs the agency have asked for a report and the plumbers name and number so the landlord can ring him! Can you believe it and I have had to chase them up again this mornin no call nothing!, I couldn't put on here the words which I would like to say to them. We aren renting through Brock Harcourts and the landlord has bogged off to NSW

Unbelievable it's like I'm making it up

Nicola

Hi. This just gets even more unbelievable that they,the agent is that stupid and all the hype about fires and faulty electrics etc. I take it they have not been out to see first hand as that would require effort on their behalf. Have you spoken to OCBA about it. My hubbies reckons you ought to stop paying rent as a starter?!

Can the chap that turned the gas off for you, write a report for you as next step?

Guest nic-manchester

Hi nicki

Yes plumber phoning estate agents now for me, just paid rent this week for next fortnight but if they don't have it sorted soon I will be discounting next time rent for time and inconvenience.

Will see what happens as regards to next step see how more ridiculous it all gets!!!,

Guest nic-manchester

Just to update....boiler man came out the whole hot water system is knackered an needs a full replacement well that will teach landlord not to ignore us next time am sure it will send him back a few grand. Plumber installed a emergency hot water system so all is good for now hopefully be Monday before it is fixed.

Just to update....boiler man came out the whole hot water system is knackered an needs a full replacement well that will teach landlord not to ignore us next time am sure it will send him back a few grand. Plumber installed a emergency hot water system so all is good for now hopefully be Monday before it is fixed.

Glad to hear that it is finally being sorted for you and agree serves your landlord right.

Guest nic-manchester

Hi Sarah, yes few Thankgod it's all over now new efficient SAFE water heater now installed!

Yeah make sure that they have had stuff serviced or if in doubt ask someone to have a look for you, it's amazing how lapsed things are over here...

How long til the move? Where a bouts on HC you moving to bet you cant wait now no more living outmf suitcases!

Nicola

Hi NIc

Hopefully moving next week but no sign of container although it arrived in Adelaide 2 weeks ago! Might have the suitcases and paper plates on the go for a while yet!!! We will be down by the R-12 school. Will PM you the address and let you know when we have moved in.

Sarah

Guest nic-manchester

Okay Sarah, will be great. Who gas container come in to (the shipping co who will deliver) ours was through an out in a week! Keep pestering, although if you nt in house yet then at least you not paying them to store it for you.

Keep in touch

Nicola