Saving money on your electric bills

ajford

On the radio (5AA) they've been saying that if you ring up your leccy company and ask, there are discounts of up to 15% on offer. Just a matter of ringing them and asking what they can offer. Worth a try and the cost of a call. That's with lots of different companies. I'd be wary of anyone that just turned up on your doorstep offering to discount you if you change - you may find that although it starts cheaper, it rockets once you're tied into a contract, especially companies that you've never heard of before.

Hi there I have some friends that have signed up with Lumo too and they are very pleased - I guess all these people cant be wrong or misinformed Diane :) We are tied in with Origin as we have solar with them otherwise we would have mad the move too. According to Sunrise Adelaide has the 3rd highest electricity costs in the world and as the cost of living keeps going up it has to be beneficial to look for more economical alternatives. Give Heaps Good a shout if you are interested!

Edited by andy and lindsey

I signed up with Lumo - wasn't happy at all and went back to my original supplier with a higher discount and I've heard some not so good things about them (Lumo) since from other people, but it may suit some people - each to their own, we can only speak as we find.

Jenny

Everyone's electricity is going to go up come July 1st and again on Jan 1st next year....we cap any increase to 5% a year, our rates are lower than most other companies....some went up 40% in the last 2 years alone...some people are happy with them that's their choice like people have a choice in everything they do were all entitled to opinions and choices in life take the rough with the smooth.

Wanna check the rates drop me a PM.....

Just cnt wait for the electricity thread thats starts around July/August time.....

Current affair ran a expose on electricity last week they say electricity is going to go up around 37% in next two years...so the 5% cap would save heaps...some people are happy to stay where they are thats their choice.

Look around for discounts they say... unfortunately your current retailer will not ring you and offer you discounts....or money off your bill....

Do you research people dnt wanna see you all moaning in a few months time...

It good to have a choice and not be dictated too eh????

HG

You really need to do some research....Diane:wink:

HG

I have done so, HG, thanks - hence my comment about ringing up your existing company and requesting a discount. Which is actually what you seem to be saying too, so perhaps you don't mean to be quite as patronising as you sound! I also listen to consumer programmes such as Leon Byner when I'm in the car (I'm a Radio 4 girl missing intelligent speech sometimes and apart from the subliminal ads on commercial radio, that's the closest I've found so far) and there has been several weeks of discussion regarding electricity costs and door to door callers. Perhaps on your rounds you could tune in and hear what a wide cross-section of people in and around Adelaide are saying. They are also discussing introducing a "Do Not Knock" register in the same way as the "Do Not Call" phone register works as so many door-to-door salesman are doing the rounds.

I saw the thread title about saving money on electricity bills and thought I would add the results of my own experience and research - sorry, didn't realise this was an ad for your services!

Guest smurph
I turn things off, it saves lots of money.

me too...the only things that are plugged in at my house during a work day is fridge & landline phone.....we have solar and havent paid for electricity for 2 years...:smile:

I turn things off, it saves lots of money.

You can also get something called an Owl Electricity Monitor (http://www.hillsantenna.com.au/HillsAntenna/Products/Product_subcat/Product?cat=137&ProductID=963 for example) which was also mentioned on the same radio station - this will give details of what power you are using at any time, so you can see if you've inadvertently left something on, and you can also see how much various things use when they are left on standby. My sister has one in the UK and swears by it.

Guest Guest75
On the radio (5AA) they've been saying that if you ring up your leccy company and ask, there are discounts of up to 15% on offer. Just a matter of ringing them and asking what they can offer. Worth a try and the cost of a call. That's with lots of different companies. I'd be wary of anyone that just turned up on your doorstep offering to discount you if you change - you may find that although it starts cheaper, it rockets once you're tied into a contract, especially companies that you've never heard of before.

I have used the company concerend for 18 months now and been very happy with them and the savings :biggrin:

Guest Guest75

I saw the thread title about saving money on electricity bills and thought I would add the results of my own experience and research - sorry, didn't realise this was an ad for your services!

It is a thread recommending the services of Heaps Good and the company he represents.

I think after all the time he has put into this forum and helped so many that he would be allowed a little back :err::skeptical:

A. Dont believe HG was OP.

B. Youve never advertised any services!!!!

It is a thread recommending the services of Heaps Good and the company he represents.

I think after all the time he has put into this forum and helped so many that he would be allowed a little back :err::skeptical:

No worries, I'll move the thread to Jobs and Business ads then

The title of the thread is about saving money on electric costs, so all experiences are welcomed. I am sure if it was just about HG he would have started his own thread promoting his new company which I have no problems with either, but the op didn't make it clear hence others mentioning other ways. I must admit I don't like door to door sales people, it's nothing personal against the people who do it but I think word of mouth is so much better.

Good luck with the new job HG.

Guest Guest75
The title of the thread is about saving money on electric costs, so all experiences are welcomed. I am sure if it was just about HG he would have started his own thread promoting his new company which I have no problems with either, but the op didn't make it clear hence others mentioning other ways. I must admit I don't like door to door sales people, it's nothing personal against the people who do it but I think word of mouth is so much better.

Good luck with the new job HG.

I'd be scared if I turned up at your door:swoon: :biglaugh:

Still having to swim home????

Its good to ask your supplier for discounts but also ask them for the lowest rates possible....its no good having 12% discount on a rate that is already more expensive than a competitor....so you may be 3% cheaper overall...get then to drop your rates to what other companies are offering then ask for your 10/12%...if they drop your rates i will be suprised....

HG

Cant see how this thread deserved to end up here. Rules for different people I suppose!!!. To keep this fair, Are we going to see any thread mentioning ANY service in this section..............somehow I doubt it!!!!!!

Cant see how this thread deserved to end up here. Rules for different people I suppose!!!. To keep this fair, Are we going to see any thread mentioning ANY service in this section..............somehow I doubt it!!!!!!
Like what Smit said :confused: Edited by Kingpin