Bricklayers!! Whats the work situation like at the moment??

Guest sutty77

Guest sutty77

:)Hello

Myself and hubby (along with 3 daughters) are hoping to be in Adelaide in the next few months or so. My hubby a brickie and we just wondered what the work situation is like over there at the moment due to recession and everything?? We are looking at staying around the Hallett Cove area so any info would be great.

Thanks, Mandy

Hi Sutty

I have few contacts in Adelaide and I have lived there, but I am now back in England till later next year, I am also a Bricklayer.

I am a member of The South Australian Master Builders Asscociation and get regular magazines and emails to do with the indusrty there. It is definalty slowing down there and there are a lot less jobs for bricklayers then previously. That looks set to continue into early next year when they predict an improvement. I know that they are relying on goverment extending first time buyers package of $17,000 if you buy a new home there, but it is not as bad as here in England.

Best of Luck in Adelaide, let us know how you get on

Nathan.

Guest sandar1

Sutty I have a friend who has his own bricklaying business, if you like I will contact him to see if he needs anyone or if he knows of any others needing people, he sure is flat out like a lizard drinking as far as I can see at the moment. Get back in touch with me so that I can talk to you personally, frankly not sure how to send a personal post on here can someone tell me how???

Guest sutty77
Sutty I have a friend who has his own bricklaying business, if you like I will contact him to see if he needs anyone or if he knows of any others needing people, he sure is flat out like a lizard drinking as far as I can see at the moment. Get back in touch with me so that I can talk to you personally, frankly not sure how to send a personal post on here can someone tell me how???

Hi

That would be great if you could get in touch with your contacts as this would make our move alot easier knowing that my husband may have some work to come too.

He has been a builder for 17 years, and has also recently qualified as a plasterer, not that he couldnt plaster, but has got full qualifications now. He is 34 years old, and very fit health wise. In 17 years. he only had 2 weeks off work sick, he is very commited and hard working. Let me know how you get on and thanks so much.

Guest sandar1

I think this is the way that I answer to you alone, but not sure. Anyway, I will speak with Andrew this afternoon, and will get back to you hopefully tomorrow, he's a lovely guy, may not need someone himself but has friends in the industry. In the back of my mind, I am sure that I heard of someone needing a plasterer (they are so hard to get and with Adelaide and the bay of bisque soil which causes huge amounts of cracking in the older homes) there is quite a demand for plasterers. Its a quandry to me why the building members on this site have not gotten together to form a working syndicate, it is impossible to get tradespeople here when you need to get something done.

Anyway will be back in touch, and in case I lose this thread give me a nudge.

Sandra

• 3 weeks later...
Guest hulltigers
Hi

That would be great if you could get in touch with your contacts as this would make our move alot easier knowing that my husband may have some work to come too.

He has been a builder for 17 years, and has also recently qualified as a plasterer, not that he couldnt plaster, but has got full qualifications now. He is 34 years old, and very fit health wise. In 17 years. he only had 2 weeks off work sick, he is very commited and hard working. Let me know how you get on and thanks so much.

hi guys, how did the job hunt go, we are heading to adelaide on 27th sept this year, im also a bricky, funnily enough we will be staying in hallet cove when we first arrive because i have aunts/uncles that live there, untill we find our own place. i have cousins who are in the building trade out there, so i can be of help if you need it too. they said even tho things have gone a little quiet at mo its picking up all the time. phil

hi guys, how did the job hunt go, we are heading to adelaide on 27th sept this year, im also a bricky, funnily enough we will be staying in hallet cove when we first arrive because i have aunts/uncles that live there, untill we find our own place. i have cousins who are in the building trade out there, so i can be of help if you need it too. they said even tho things have gone a little quiet at mo its picking up all the time. phil

Hi Phil - I'm assuming it's you (tigers08!!)

Looks like there are loads of brickies heading out in September!! i think you should def set up a gang!!

Mel

xx

Guest hulltigers
Hi Phil - I'm assuming it's you (tigers08!!)

Looks like there are loads of brickies heading out in September!! i think you should def set up a gang!!

Mel

xx

yer its us mel, yer lets get your house all finalised then u will be booking too wont u guys. yer we will have to get a gang going, good idea. x

• 1 month later...
Guest CB2009

Hi Guys,

Am also arriving in Adelaide on the 6th Sept 09.

I have my own network cabling company in the Uk that i have just sold.

Ive been managing on building sites for around 8 years and have not long finished my bricklaying and plastering.

I will be looking to get somthing setup as soon as i can, as i am building my own house after ive had a look around at the land on offer.

Let me know if anyone does want to setup, i will be interested in having a chat.

Cheers.

Guest PompeyPom

Hi everyone.

Good luck to you all on the job front im also a bricklayer so any advice on the trade in Adelaide would be great.We have booked our flights for October 16 to come over for a three week recce staying in Mclaren Vale.We hope to be out permenatly by the end of the year depending on the sale of our house so to meet up for a beer and chat about the trade would be great.

All the best Scott n gang.

PLAY UP POMPEY.:biglaugh:

Guest hulltigers
Hi everyone.

Good luck to you all on the job front im also a bricklayer so any advice on the trade in Adelaide would be great.We have booked our flights for October 16 to come over for a three week recce staying in Mclaren Vale.We hope to be out permenatly by the end of the year depending on the sale of our house so to meet up for a beer and chat about the trade would be great.

All the best Scott n gang.

PLAY UP POMPEY.:biglaugh:

hi pompey, im a brickie and a tiger grrr, we arrive in adelaide 29th sept, so would meet up with you for a chat if you liked ..

Guest PompeyPom

Cheers mate.

Hope all goes well with the move will be in touch nearer the time through this site if ok.Keep us posted on how things go and on the work front.Be nice if both our teams improve on the form they showed at the end of last season eh LOL.