Recruitment agents - how to get their attention?

Guest Emu

Hi,

I have heard that there are a few recruitment agents on this site, I need you advice.

How do we get your attention? I understand you get lots of CVs everyday, but what do we do, so that you register us and look for suitable work for us?

Been here over 2 months and still nothing. Have applied for loads of jobs and nothing! Only got to meet one agent! When I contact the agencies directly they say send the CV through but never hear from them again. When I apply for a specific job never hear from them ever ...

Been told I'm over qualified, do I dumb down my CV? I just want a job, even if just temping, data entry, that sort of thing will do for now.

I know things here are different but in the UK when I was looking for a job I had lots of agencies ringing me all the time, not only me but any of my colleagues looking for jobs. Here they never ring.

We work in Supply Chain/Logistics with also Export experience.

What can I do?

Please advise.

Is there any way you can get a load of resumes printed off and go round to individual companies - although I know nothing of these type of companies (location etc). The Aussies tend to prefer face to face contact - maybe it is to do with putting faces to names or standing out from the crowd - worth a try anyway.

Good Luck

Lea

Hi

Where are you based? it might be worth finding out if there is a Business Incubator near you and go drop your CV off there - these are places where small companies all rent an office, and being small, perhaps don't need permanent staff but might need a temp now and again. I work at a company based in the Port Adelaide area so if that is any use to you I can ask around there and see if anyone needs a temp. I know it's not ideal in the long run, but it does get you out there, getting to build up some networks etc. I got some temping work through Weststaff in Salisbury (it was a little while ago now but ask for Coralie if she's still there and if that's any good location wise for you) and through Human Interest Partners in the City (Waymouth Street). If I were you, I'd spend a day in the City going round all the agencies, delivering my Cv by hand to them and then follow up on a weekly basis with a phone call. Good luck, I know it's really tough out there.

Diane

What agencies have you registered with? Did you just send your resume or have you actually gone in and registered? If you have registered, do you call and remind them of your availability once a week? And, have you gotten your CV into shape as an Aussie resume?

Guest mantis88

When we were looking for work for my wife we found the same thing!

Ended up going direct to one of the jobs she'd applied for through an agent(but got no response) and they took her on straight away even though they had already filled the possition through the agency!

On questioning the employer it would seem the agencies are only really interested in sending forward peaple who are registered with center link! assyume they get a Government kick back!

Dave

Hi, thanks for all the advice. Diane, thanks for the info, I will check it out. I live in the Southern Suburbs so Port Adelaide is a bit far. But I have notice that a lot of jobs in my area seem to be up there, so I might have to consider to move north of the CBD. If you hear of any position please let me know. Thanks all.

Guest Rob and Clare

I have to be honest I am not the greatest fan of agencies.

Recruitment is the most basic form of HR work and often gets outsourced, and therefore is often dealt with by staff who have no idea what you can do, or what the customer is looking for.

Upon arrival I sent my resume to all agencies i could think of, and I heard nothing for weeks, yet every job i applied for direct I would at least get an interview and in many cases was offered a position, only after months in a postion did an agency phone me back.

That said they are a necessary evil and all i can think of is sending your resume to any of the agencies that advertise supply chain positions, Hays, Talent2, extra staff etc... but better than the agencies would be to contact the companies direct, look at manufacturers, I read you are down south so choice is more limited unless you can make the journey upto the Port, Hendon, Beverley, Salsibury etc... but send your resume into companies like Seeley, Visiocorp, Carl Zeiss and maybe the larger wineries at the maclaren vale.

If you know about freight logistics then contact the freight companies at the airport, Fed Ex, Agility, Kuhl and Nagel (i think) plus loads of others, but again most freight companies are based nearer the port and the rail freight depot in the north.

These are tougher times though now with SA's jobless above that of the UK in percentage terms, so it will be hard, but persevere and you will get your break...

Hi, thanks all for your suggestions and help. I got a job, start Monday. Temping for 2 months, but there is the possibility of becoming permanent. Fingers crossed.

Salary not a fortune but at least higher then minimum salary.

It's strange (in a good way) how quick it all happened. At least it gives us all hope, that from one day to the next things will start getting into place.

Got an interview on Wednesday and was offered the job in the same way. At least one of us will be earning some money.

Now it's my husband's turn to find something.

We have been applying for jobs where we have the right skills and experience, some of them, yes, we might have "too much" experience. But what is wrong with that?

Is just that nobody rings back. If an agent thinks you not suitable for that role, (in the UK) they still ring you and keep you on their books and try to find something else.

I guess things here are different, but is frustrating when you in desperate need of a job.

Guest cazzie

Hi Emu,

Great news about your job, congratulations! You might be aware from previous posts that I wrote to an MP about a whole host of things and the treatment of immigrants by agencies was one of them. They answered most queries but the issue of agencies was completely ignored! I agree with you - it is courtesy to contact people from time to time and they should do that. If no-one bothered to contact them they wouldn't be in work. I know they probably work hard and have tons of paperwork to deal with but to receive a CV and then not contact a person is pretty mean in my mind. An email wouldn't hurt, but as people have implied it seems that SA is a place where you have to do all the running. Good luck to your husband in the job hunting process.