Sparkies!!

Guest Guest3980

Guest Guest3980

Ayup guys,

just wanted an update on the work situation in adelaide. Will be moving there in October and just interested to know.

Also has anyone managed to get fully licensed yet as a result of the UK Vetassess exams?

Any info welcome,

Cheers, Jon.

Hi there Jon,

There is a slow down in the work situation and the forcasts are for rising unemployment...sorry but it's much the same as the rest of the world at the moment.

Will you be self employed or working for someone? If seld employed you will need an ABN and a business licence. I can help with more info depending upon what's what.

Tamara

Guest katsmajic

Hi, PM Too Easy - hes a sparky.

UK quals etc dont count, you still need to go to TAFE/college to do your wiring regulations etc - from what said it wasnt too hard...

theres a cost and a time frame of course tho, but if your lucky you might be able to get a job whilst your 'training' - just means you cant sign off your own work etc. Andy/too easy will be able to explain fully im sure. ;)

Guest Guest3980

Thanks guys,

Will be coming over with the hope of being employed by a commercial / domestic contractor, dont mind being a trade assistant till i get the license - surely that represents good value for money to a company??

Anyway it would be good to get some contacts on here so I can hit the ground running.

All the best,

Jon.

Guest Russfamily

U will need to sit the wiring regs course and exam so u can apply for your license, but do bring all of your uk papers/certs because they do count, without them u wouldnt have passed the skilled migrant test when u applied for Australia

Guest Guest3980

Thanks for your replies guys,

Im guessing you got quallified in Oz via TRA / ARTC?? Im a little unsure of the route I need to take to get licensed as I did the Vetassess tests and i`d heard rumours of log books and gap training dragging on for a year and that I needed employment in the trade to complete this.... My understanding was that I couldnt just rock up to peer and do the same wiring rules course as maybe you guys did??

Peer have been pretty unhelpful whenever ive tried to contact them but ill keep trying, hopefully ill get somewhere soon!

Guest cunners87

i moved over in jan and had to do my wiring regs course it takes 2 weeks with a 7 hoiur test. it took a few months find a job but when i did get one the other jobs came flooding in big companies like nielsen, boffa n russo, shape and star are really busy at the moment so try them. also im told sharpe have 12 english sparks working for them

Guest Guest3980
i moved over in jan and had to do my wiring regs course it takes 2 weeks with a 7 hoiur test. it took a few months find a job but when i did get one the other jobs came flooding in big companies like nielsen, boffa n russo, shape and star are really busy at the moment so try them. also im told sharpe have 12 english sparks working for them

Thanks mate thats helpfull, so did you do Vetassess in the UK?

Guest tooeasy

from what I understand now its different from when i got my licence the tra way from what they said at peer you have to do 5 modules either at peer or tafe and work as a trades assistant for 12 months to get you licence now

a little tip for you get a citb number before you do any courses as you will get the courses for nearly half price :)

Guest ozziespurs

Hi all! OH passed tra and got visa Apr 08 since then we have validated visa, sold house and now living in rented lookin to come over sept/oct, just waiting to get correspondence course from peers and he is in process of doing ARTC am I right in assuming when he gets ARTC, sits Peers exam and passes he can get A class licence or is it more complicated. Please correct me if I am wrong as I am a bit confused what you mean about 5 modules and 12months as trades assistant and tafe.

I am hoping what that this is for vetassess only and won't appeal to us as he has his tra thanks for all your replies.

Guest tooeasy

yep the tra way is still just sit wiring rules course and get your artc which you can apply for before you get here just need an australian address to to send it to just remember when you do you experience sheet for the artc to include as much info as you can and explain it as if you where talking to someone who knows nothing bout electrics :)

Guest ozziespurs

thanks that is a relief, had me thinking then that now we sold house had another hurdle on the way and would have to wait another 12 months. Is the artc similar to the tra and do you have to write your own references again. thanks all made me feel a bit better now.

Guest tooeasy

yea its like the tra but a bit more in depth you need as many references as you can and as many qualifications as you can and apprenticship contract if you can find it :) its a lot quicker than the veetasses route

Guest ozziespurs

How long does it take to get reply once artc sent off, i understand that you can,t get artc from the uk so what do we do as we have no oz connections and don,t yet know where we'll be living when we do move but are quite sure it will be adelaide. thanks again.

Guest tooeasy

you need an australian address for them to send the cert back to if you want you can have it sent here and i can forward it on to you :)

Guest billm

Hi,

It took only a week for TRA to get back to me, everythings done through email. It may be quicker as you already have a case number with them, its the same as the one they gave you for your visa application. A word of warning though, as Tooeasy says, put as much detail into your application as you can and as many examples of your work as you can going right back showing as much variation of work as possible and an understanding of what you did and why. The stuff you sent for your visa is not enough on its own. I also read on other sites that photos of your work may be helpful - certainly wont do any harm. I didn't go into enough detail and will have to do a trade test to get the ARTC for mechanic. Not looking forward to that. I'm going to do the wiring regs first to get an idea of how its done over there then do the trade test.

Tooeasy has been a great help to me so try him if you have any questions.

Good luck with the ARTC.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest Guest3980

Just want to say that Vetassess guys CAN apply to TRA for an ARTC once you have a permanent residency visa in your passport. Then just a trip to PEER for the wiring rules course.

This means no log book and gap training.

Happy days!!!!!!!

• 1 month later...
Anyone care for an update???

Yep you have it right jonsparx. If from the UK then vets is now the only way but as soon as the visa is stamped or if you can get an aussie address you can go down the ATRC route and do PEER so no log book. WWWWWWWWWWHHHHHHHHOOOOOO.

There is talk that energy safe now recognising the vets cert and the 2 week wireing regs course is now omly required but i have not heard anythink concreate on this although i am trying to find out. If i get anywhere with it i will post.

Guest Guest3980

Excellent! just what I wanted to hear, thanks!

Got me visa granted today so cant wait to get out there and start working!

Do you know what works like at the minute? slow im guessing??

Cheers

Yep you have it right jonsparx. If from the UK then vets is now the only way but as soon as the visa is stamped or if you can get an aussie address you can go down the ATRC route and do PEER so no log book. WWWWWWWWWWHHHHHHHHOOOOOO.

There is talk that energy safe now recognising the vets cert and the 2 week wireing regs course is now omly required but i have not heard anythink concreate on this although i am trying to find out. If i get anywhere with it i will post.

Excellent! just what I wanted to hear, thanks!

Got me visa granted today so cant wait to get out there and start working!

Do you know what works like at the minute? slow im guessing??

Cheers

Cant help with the work side mate still got to far to go to worry about that. Good luck finding some though.

• 1 month later...

Hi my boyfriend is going down the vetassess route to get our visa, because he doesn't like paperwork i have been lumped with the state sponsership form!! Can anybody please tell me when we arrive what licences and registration he has to get and how to get them? Thanks i have been looking on government sites trying to make sense of them but with no luck!