Motor Trade in Adelaide

Guest jimdundee

Guest jimdundee

Hi Everyone

Me and My wife are hoping to move to Adelaide in October this year. Just after some advice from people living in Adelaide what is the Motor Trade like at the moment? Are there many jobs on offer at the moment? I have afew interviews to attend when we arrive, just looking at the bigger picture?

Regards

Jason & Caroline

Guest Brummie

Hi Jimdundee

We have Holden's which is a car manufacturing factory at Elizabeth, there has been a bit in the papers over the last few weeks, with the workers there wondering about their jobs. The situation in America with GM over there, as made the car industry here a bit shaky. The management at Holdens have said that there will be no job loses here though. But who do you believe.

I did work for a company (for 8 years) that made seat slides for Holdens, Fords and Mitsubushi, but all our jobs went to China so we were all made redundant. That was Christmas 2007. I don't know if it's because I'm female and 56 but I am finding it very hard to get another job. What kind of job are you looking for in the car industry. Is it Holdens that you have interview with when you get here. Have you checked the jobs websites out. www.careerone.com.au and www.seek.com.au . Or looked up Holdens at Elizabeth on the net to see what is on there. It's a big factory. The Mitsubushi factory has closed down. Can't give you much more advice, but i am sure someone else wil get on here and add to what I have put on. Hope this helps you.

hi ya well i work as a mechanic for renault in adelaide (there are only two renault dealership's in south australia)...and we have far to much work for just 6 technician's...as for mechanic job's should have no problem finding one, i got my job with-in 10 mins of interview but i did work for renualt back in uk.

also look on www.seek.com.au for job's..all the best for moving over

alex

quote=jimdundee;86069]Hi Everyone

Me and My wife are hoping to move to Adelaide in October this year. Just after some advice from people living in Adelaide what is the Motor Trade like at the moment? Are there many jobs on offer at the moment? I have afew interviews to attend when we arrive, just looking at the bigger picture?

Regards

Jason & Caroline

Guest jimdundee

Hi Brummie,

Thanks for the info. I am currently working for Vauxhall Dealership as a Motor Mechanic here in Wales and hoping to get work in a Holden Dealership in Adelaide when we finally get there.

I have checked many of the online Job website and have not seen many Jobs advertised with Main Dealers. I am rather worried, as a large amount of Dealerships in the UK are laying off Mechanics due to the slow down in then Motor Industry.

Best wishes

Jason & Caroline

Guest jimdundee

Hi Alex,

Thanks for your info, fingers crossed I get a job as quick as you. I work for a Vauxhall Dealership as a Motor Mechanic in Wales.

I have had some good feedback so far with a Holden Dealership in Adelaide, but I’m not pinning all my hopes on one place; just doing some more research while we wait this final hurdle.

Thanks again, best wishes

Jason & Caroline

Guest majortom

Hi jimdundee I currently work for a company (Nylex) that supply fuel tanks to Holdens. There has been a big shift in the amount of cars that Holdens have been making.

I joined my present job in Nov 07, and we were supplying Holdens with a quota of 600 fuel tanks a day. They had 2 shifts at that time.

The situation got real bad after this worldwide downturn and Holdens then adopted a 2 week on, 2 week off policy. Thier staff I believe were only losing half a days pay a week whilst this went on. This happened for the first 3 months of the year, and they only had 20 production days in that period.

This has had a great strain on all suppliers and some job losses were unfortunatly created. The situation now is that Holdens have managed to keep all thier employers but have adopted a one shift system (mornings). Which means its staff are working one week on, and one week off. And I believe that on thier week off they recieve half pay. Thier quota of fuel tanks from us is now 300 a day.

The only good news is that they have been given the green light to begin manafactorying a new 4 cylinder car which will be a small car. I believe production will begin in early 2010.

Jim

Guest andy

I moved to Adelaide in July 06 and had previously worked for a Ford dealer in Manchester for 26 yrs.I had no problem getting a job at a Ford dealer here and at Jarvis Ford where I work business is very buoyant.The company has Ford,Toyota and Subaru dealerships but not Holden although I have contacts at 'City Holden' in Adelaide.

If you need any help contact me on andy.susanflem@optusnet.com.au

• 4 weeks later...

Andy,

I have been buying cars over the last 2 weeks, and I have never seen a place with more dealerships and traders: a lot of multiple groups as well (Stillwell have 21 franchises, or so they told me...) I would get a big list together and start hitting the phones or email.

Jobs are still to be had: I arrived Thursday night, had interviews to attend the following week and got a job on the Monday night (different industry, but night and day compared to the UK situation). Interestingly, none of the jobs were advertised......I would also contact employment agencies early and often, as they quite often know who is looking for what.

Pies