I've just got a proper Job! Yeeeeee Haaaaaa

Guest Martin and Val

Guest Martin and Val

I’ve not been posting a great deal since getting a 14 week temporary contract at Centrelink back in March, but I thought I would add this as it’s put a smile on my face that will stay for a long time.

Well with just two weeks left before I would have to start knocking on doors again I’ve struck gold!

I will be finishing with centrelink next Friday, one week early so I can start at my new FULL TIME PERMINANT ROLE in my dream job.

I start a week Monday as the on site Buildings and Maintenance Officer in a brand new $22 million dollar care home and I can’t wait.

Now we both feel the final part of the jigsaw has been put in place and we can really start planning for the future. Who knows maybe in the future when we retire we will be residents there so I had better do a good job!

Val did well and secured her job back in December and after eight months and the savings taking a battering I wondered if I would ever get anything but in the end I’ve done it.

Now I must admit at the application stage 15 people applied, eight were interviewed before two were shortlisted and I did slightly have my foot in door as it’s the same company that Val works for.

Sometimes as they say it’s who you know not what you know but what the heck if it helped me so what.

Good luck to all those searching and wherever you go even if just shopping talk to everybody you meet, network and above all don’t give up because Australia really is worth it. (Even in the winter!)

Martin :jiggy:

Congratulations. Like many, I know the sense of relief and excitement you're going through - enjoy it! Regarding the 'what you know/who you know' element to getting a job, my view is that having the network certainly helps, but only when all else is equal; if you're up against other candidates then you still have to shine against them - employers are unlikely to give a job to the second (or third) best person just because they're known to the organisation. Therefore, another well done for being the best person for the job!

Jim

Guest cazzie

Martin,

Well done - that's great news. Good luck with the new job and the future. A great example for others who are frustrated with job hunting - keep at it and it will happen. Yay!

Guest Django

You jammy git!!!! :biglaugh::biglaugh:

Well done Martin. It also proves that with the right attitude you will get what you want. Taking on any job you can get to get by until the job you really want comes along. I'm sure the Centre Link job added too your success. Even though its in a totally different field, getting an aussie job on the resume helps heaps.

Good on you Martin. It really does help if you enjoy your work. Both myself and Tracey are lucky in that respect. Now you can start building your savings back up......if Val doesn't spend your hard earned dollars first. :biglaugh:

Pete

Congratulations. Like many, I know the sense of relief and excitement you're going through - enjoy it! Regarding the 'what you know/who you know' element to getting a job, my view is that having the network certainly helps, but only when all else is equal; if you're up against other candidates then you still have to shine against them - employers are unlikely to give a job to the second (or third) best person just because they're known to the organisation. Therefore, another well done for being the best person for the job!

Jim

Agree totally with Jim. Well done, Martin!

Guest familygood

HUGE Congratulations!!! Looks like getting some temp work to get your foot in is well worth it. So glad things have worked out for you.

Guest Martin and Val

Thank you for all the replies and messages I’ve received. Good luck to all those currently looking. Be prepared it can take months but don’t get down hearted something will come along in the end it just takes time.

In our opinion being here is worth it and once you get that position it’s the icing on the cake.

Cheers

Martin :jiggy:

Personal thanks:

Cheers Mik, Certainly is a huge relief not quite the lotto but it feels like it.

Thanks Mandy, I don’t know about deserve it but did need it.

Thanks Jacqueline, Stephen and co, Networking is so important and in the end it comes up trumps.

Thank you Joanne & Ged.

Thanks Susan, I think I had more than a glass or two! Hic cup!

Many thanks Jim & Adel for your very kind words. I’m really can’t wait to start now.

Thanks Lea.

Thank you Barry & Daphne, yes we will see you for that drink soon. It won’t be long now.

Many thanks Sue, I hope I’ll “be right” I will give it 100% for certain.

Hi Diane, Luckily I won’t have anything to do with building it but I will look after it for when we all retire! Thank you.

Thanks Ian, when I started with Centrelink I very nearly ended up at Pulteney Street but in the end I was sent elsewhere. Shame we could have had a drink at lunch time otherwise.

Thanks Alexis, James and the clan, Hope your settling in OK. Are you in the new house yet?

Thanks Cazzie, Hope all going well with your course. Enjoy your holiday and when you get back maybe we could all catch up.

Cheers Pete, Your right with what you say mate. Take any job at first it gives you an Aussie reference.

Thank you Kim & Peter, still here just looking in from time to time.

Thank you Bill, how you feeling now? On the mend I hope must catch up soon.

Thanks Jo and Tom, It’s not easy at the moment and there is no magic solutions but as Pete says take anything at first and then keep looking.

Hi Jane, thank you for your kind words.

Cheers Howard, I think perseverance is the answer. Good luck with the move, many thanks.

Thank you Carole and Dave, spot on with your words.

Many thanks Emma, Graham and Grace, Yes it’s been said before temp work to get you started does help along with the all important networking as they call it now.