Aussie Army Reservist?

Guest King Prawn Curry

Guest King Prawn Curry

Hi All,

I was wondering if any Poms have joined the Australian Defence Force as a Reservists? As I'm still on a temp Visa I did'n't think it was a possiblilty, but due to my previous Army experience it now seems a goer.

I'm really keen to find out a little more from someone on the inside.......

Any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

James

• 4 weeks later...
Guest soggy
Hi All,

I was wondering if any Poms have joined the Australian Defence Force as a Reservists? As I'm still on a temp Visa I did'n't think it was a possiblilty, but due to my previous Army experience it now seems a goer.

I'm really keen to find out a little more from someone on the inside.......

Any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

James

Hi,

can not give you any info on army reserves, but have just found this on the diac website while looking for somthing else, it is about applying for citizenship, normally you have to be resident for 4 years before applying including 1 year as PR, the are exemptions including serving 6 months in the reserves !!

Residence exemptions and discretions

Exemptions

People are exempt from the residence requirement if they:

• have served ninety (90) days in the permanent forces of the Commonwealth of Australia
    or
  • have served six months in the Australian Reserve Forces
    or
  • were discharged from defence service as medically unfit for that service.

A partial exemption applies to former Australian citizens and people born in Australia. They need only have been resident in Australia for 12 months as a permanent resident.

is this a short cut to citizenship ???????

does the army reserve need a 42 year old overweight, unfit former "STAB" I wonder.

This could be worth looking into for some.:):)

Simon

Guest soggy
I am in the process of joining the Army Reserve (will be a Australian Citizen soon after my ceremony) I was told I couldnt apply until I was in the process of applying for my Citizenship. I have previous Military service from the Uk also.

I did have a quick look at the army web site, it seems to depend on how badly they need your paticular skills.:)

Simon

Guest King Prawn Curry

Thanks guys,

I gave them a call to discuss this in more detail and it seems that those on PR can join, but Temp Visa holders can't after all! Even those with previous militaty experience. The regulars will take you on a temp, but not the reservists.

So annoying. Yet another restriction to living a normal life in SA. It's a shame because by the time I get PR, I'll be fat and lazy and certainly no good for the Aus Army. I guess I'll never get to wear a silly hat after all.

For those on PR...... it certainly is a short cut to citizenship. A couple of friends have transfered from the British Army and got a passport upon arriving in Aus! They didn't even have to go through visa application!

Looks like the wife will have to put up with the same old war stories for a few more years.

James

A partial exemption applies to former Australian citizens and people born in Australia. They need only have been resident in Australia for 12 months as a permanent resident.

Simon

So our Daughter was born here whilst we are still on temporary visa, but she is now 17 months old, and has never left the country. Does this mean she is eligible for citizenship?? Hmm i wonder? That means if she is, then we would get as her parents/legal guardians?? Never thought about this. lol

Sorry just re-read it, after we get our PR, she only has to be PR for 1 year. Oops