Painters and Decorators

Guest daksha

Guest daksha

Hi Folks

Just wanted to know if anyone knows if there are many jobs advertised for painters and decorators in Adelaide. I'm a qualified decorator with over 20 years experience, I have my own business here in the UK. Is it straight forward setting up a business in Adelaide?

Also if there are any decorators on this wedsite do you need any staff?? Bit cheacky but thought I'd ask??? ;)

Guest dglamoore

Hi

There are a lot of painters coming over in the next few months so you are bound to get some replies. We have friends arrived a couple of weeks ago who is a painter/decorator and has already seen a couple of jobs to apply for so they seem to be around :)

Lisa

Hi and welcome to the site,

there are lots of Painters & Decorators on this site, my OH is a decorator so if you need any advice let us know. we are awaiting a CO at the moment so good luck with your the start of your process.

we are hoping to go out towards the end of the year start of next so will keep everyone updated on our progress

thanks

Tina

Guest daksha

Hi Tina,

Thanks for the information; we are planning to go to Adelaide hopefully in March/April just to look around before we move. I'm really excited. Where about are you from in the UK?

Is your OH self employed or does he work for a firm? Has he already started looking for work there or will you wait until you get out there?

Sorry for all the questions.....

Hi

no problem ask away.

We are in the Midlands (Brierley Hill, Kingswinford area)

Mark hasnt been self employed for 11years, before this he was a subby for a building Co. for the TRA he had to go back 20 year or so years from his apprenticeship and college. unsure whether our agent was being a bit over top but they got us through it first time so i guess it was all worth it.

He has looked at some of the career websites but i have heard the local rag is the best for his trade and not necessary the websites but the last time i looked there was 7 companies/builders after decorators in areas of Adelaide, so hopefully he can find work and even if it is not the best paid one he said he would take it while looking for a better paid because we have heard the wages can vary.

He is thinking of going back to self employment in Adelaide when we have been there a while, but who knows we will just go with the flow.

any other questions please dont hesitate to ask, just PM me if you need info.

Tina & Mark

Guest soggy
Hi Tina,

Thanks for the information; we are planning to go to Adelaide hopefully in March/April just to look around before we move. I'm really excited. Where about are you from in the UK?

Is your OH self employed or does he work for a firm? Has he already started looking for work there or will you wait until you get out there?

Sorry for all the questions.....

Hi, im a painter and decorator and am hopeing to be out there late this early next year, its not easy to get this type of work from UK althoug worth applying once you have a visa. As for self employment you will need to get a licence to work for yourself, this can take some time, references from other licenced people its a bit like TRA plus, this site gives you details of this http://www.ocba.sa.gov.au/licensing/index.html theres a lot to do, I for one intend to look for an employed posistion and see how things go.

Simon

Everyone gets the free local paper, The Messenger, you'll find lots of ads in the back. Check it out when you get here. Maybe ring up a few so you get an idea what people are charging. Good Luck

J x

Hi Vince

We are friends of Lisa's who are arriving on the 6th Sept. Sorry we have not been online as much recently, moved out living with the inlaws etc !!

Ashley is a self employed P&D. So we will definitely be able to help you along the way.

Its true about the license. To obtain it you need to actually gain 2 business units which one is in Finance. They are approximately 8 weeks long, 3 hours a night, doing 2 means twice a week. Not ideal I know but a must in order for you to apply for a license to then sub-contract etc.

I have the forms & details but once Ashley arrives he can speak to the local campus, the first lot of courses start mid October & I think he is keen to get onto those.

Experience is important but without a license you cannot sub.

This does not stop you applying to work for companies who already have a license though so you can still earn some $s.

Hope this is of help. PM me if we can help further.

Angela & Ashley

Hi Angela,

just being nosey at the info for Vince, my oh is also a painter & decorator and we are hoping to come out towards the end of the year so will be keeping an eye open for your first post in Adelaide to get some help and advise. Oh is going to look into the sub contract aswell at a later date once we arrive there so if you have any website links to get the forms etc it would be greatly appreciated, so we can look into it before he gets there.

many thanks icon12.gif

Tina

www.ocba.sa.gov.au/licensing

Trades Recognition Support Services

11 Waymouth Street

ADELAIDE, SOUTH AUSTRALIA 5000

Try the above. I meant to say that proving you have the required experience is also part of getting the license, I am afraid obtaining the assessments in the 2 business units is not enough !

IMO its an awful lot of work for any P&D but thats what is required.

Angela