Please take this as it is meant

Denise

I am putting this thread up here for those still in the UK who are stressing about the work situation in Adelaide, it is by no means a brag, but purely to give some hope to people about getting work when they arrive.

I have been here 6weeks now and began my job hunt around the second week of my arrival, I decided I would be really picky to start with and have applied for 10jobs in total. I have turned down 2 interviews, been offered 3 of the positions, knocked back for 2 and the others have a close date of the end of July, I start work in one weeks time.

I have used agencies for some jobs and direct to the company for others and have found no prejudice against the temporary visa, where I live etc...

My husband is a plasterer and although he hasnt any plastering work for now, he is gettting regular labouring work on construction sites via an agency.

I am good friends with 4 families who arrived the same time as us all who have found work since they arrived in various different roles.

I am not for one minute saying that there isn't any prejudice out there and people do struggle to find work, we just haven't come across it. Maybe its the type of work we do? ( I am in sales )

I just really wanted to read something like this before I came, I don't want to give false hope, just an honest thread on how we have found it.

Good luck to everyone and for anyone in sales - Hays recruitment - bloody brilliant.

Thanks for listening

Denise

Guest Guest75

Thanks for posting this Denise.

Nothing to get offended or brag about in your post.

Congrats on the jobs!:)

Quite the opposite in fact - thank you for taking the time to post.

Finding employment is a huge part of the move here and in these uncertain times and any discussion is helpful.:)

Good post Denise.

We too were on a temporary visa when we arrived and we did struggle to find work initially. Stacey came across a couple of Emloyers who would not employ her due to the visa we were on. It all came good in the end.

I know there has been a few people struggling to find work recently so hopefully your post will boost a few morales for people coming out.

Andy

Guest guest569

I would just like to say....

<rascist comment removed>. What jobs that are left are really low paid. The weather here is absolutely terrible !!! Its either extremely hot or absolutely lashing it down !!! The houses are so expensive you may have to live in a squat !!!! Schools are a waste of time as no one ever learns anything.

The insects are massive and EVERYWHERE!!!! along with all the poisonous snakes !!!!!

All in all your better off in the UK as the Aussies hate the poms anyway !!!!!

The moral of my post is........ " don't believe EVERYTHING you may read on here !!!! Try it for yourself as whats right for you might not be right for everyone else";)

Good luck.

Guest Libby1971

Okay, my two penneth worth

It took me 3 months to find a temp teaching job which lasted 12 weeks. It then took me another 5 months to find a permanent teaching position which actually took another 8 months before it was confirmed as permanent.

So the moral of that story is if you are in teaching, things may not be quite so rosy.

And PP, you do my head in, especially in relation to schools, but then again, I'm going to be touchy about this issue. Such positivity...what can one say when faced with such encouragement for the masses?

Guest graandjac
I would just like to say....

<Racist comment removed>What jobs that are left are really low paid. The weather here is absolutely terrible !!! Its either extremely hot or absolutely lashing it down !!! The houses are so expensive you may have to live in a squat !!!! Schools are a waste of time as no one ever learns anything.

The insects are massive and EVERYWHERE!!!! along with all the poisonous snakes !!!!!

All in all your better off in the UK as the Aussies hate the poms anyway !!!!!

The moral of my post is........ " don't believe EVERYTHING you may read on here !!!! Try it for yourself as whats right for you might not be right for everyone else";)

Good luck.

Bob you wind up merchant......:biglaugh:, bob loves it really, is the first line here or the uk.....???lol

Guest Lulujim

Yey Denise!! Great post, and nice to read something positive. :)

It's been exactly the same for us too. I found a job immediately - went for 3, one as a Pharmacy Dispenser, and 2 as Childcare Workers and got offered all 3. I accepted one and have found it great, really nice staff - and no mention of the temp visa either.

I know it's not a high-powered city role - but good to know that there are definitely jobs out there.

My advice would be not to solely look for jobs in the paper and on Seek - but to go into as many places as possible. A lot of places here seem to wait for the right person to walk in rather than advertising. The jobs I went for weren't advertised anywhere, I just called in to the Pharmacy and Childcare Centres and asked if they needed anyone.

Good luck to everyone coming over - it's not all doom and gloom!! :biglaugh:

Yey Denise!! Great post, and nice to read something positive. :)

It's been exactly the same for us too. I found a job immediately - went for 3, one as a Pharmacy Dispenser, and 2 as Childcare Workers and got offered all 3. I accepted one and have found it great, really nice staff - and no mention of the temp visa either.

I know it's not a high-powered city role - but good to know that there are definitely jobs out there.

My advice would be not to solely look for jobs in the paper and on Seek - but to go into as many places as possible. A lot of places here seem to wait for the right person to walk in rather than advertising. The jobs I went for weren't advertised anywhere, I just called in to the Pharmacy and Childcare Centres and asked if they needed anyone.

Good luck to everyone coming over - it's not all doom and gloom!! :biglaugh:

Love the photo of Floss

Excellent news. I am sure that is reassuring for an awful lot of people including ourselves. Its really nice for people to hear what is really good news and the more people put both the good and the bad news on the more we all know what to expect. Brilliant and well done.

Hi Denise

Fantastic post and great to hear you're starting work (probably not as cushy as your job was overhere lol).

There are so many worries over giving up jobs in the uk (which are few and far between) and thinking you could both end up unemployed in Oz. The last thing we want to do is move to the otherside of the world and not be able to give 100% to making it work because we have no income and having to return to the UK. We know we'd be very lucky to find work back here and if I'd been away from the UK for over 12 months I wouldn't have imagined how bad the work situation could have got especially in the construction insustry.

Your post is very positive and gives us all hope.

Hope to see you soon - we're expecting Nathan to be an expert on that barbie when we arrive.

Tracey

Brill post, it's about time someone gave some hopeful news for us people hoping to emigrate very soon. I have been up and down a lot lately about the worry about gaining suitable employment and the financial aspects from not gaining this employment, especially we are going on the 475 state sponsorship visa and not entitled to benefits, etc. You have now made my weekend much better. I understand that members would like to point our the reality of gaining a job - but in my opinion I prefer these posts of hope and encouragement. Well done Denise and thanks ****

Hi Denise

Fantastic post and great to hear you're starting work (probably not as cushy as your job was overhere lol).

There are so many worries over giving up jobs in the uk (which are few and far between) and thinking you could both end up unemployed in Oz. The last thing we want to do is move to the otherside of the world and not be able to give 100% to making it work because we have no income and having to return to the UK. We know we'd be very lucky to find work back here and if I'd been away from the UK for over 12 months I wouldn't have imagined how bad the work situation could have got especially in the construction insustry.

Your post is very positive and gives us all hope.

Hope to see you soon - we're expecting Nathan to be an expert on that barbie when we arrive.

Tracey

Thanks Tracey

We will get practising although need to buy some seats for you to sit on first!! See you soon

Guest ozziespurs

Thanks for that, gives us a bit of confidence about finding work even though we are on PR, we come out Aug 29 and work's not good in UK for hubby at the moment as sparky. Feel a bit better already as with 5 kids and limited funding am concerned about OH getting work when he get's his licence.

Guest graandjac

I am just about the start a new job, the first one I got by chatting to a guy working next door, so it's good to just ask......one year on and I was only going to do a few weeks to help him out .

Guest allie

Thank you for a positive post! Im a teacher here so I know what im facing when it comes to teaching in aus but it is good to know that there are other jobs out there too! I think all of us stuck back in britain are so used to hearing about the lack of employment that it can really get you down!

Glad everything is going well for you :)

Can I just add that the money I am getting is more than what I was earning at home and I was in a really well paid job. I was really surprised just how much basic and car allowance I got offered and commission on top its not what I expected. Also, hubby is earning anything from $20 - $31 per hour just for labouring work so its obviously different depending on what job you do.

I'm really happy for Denise that found work so quickly and it's really great when people do.

But that wasn't our case and still isn't. So I think is also important to remind people that they might not be lucky and they need the funds to survive if thinks are not so good.

I have worked for 2 world know companies (I mean, sometimes the Aussies might not know the company you worked for back in the UK) but I found it difficult finding a job. I did get a job offer to the first interview I went to and I took, even though it was temping and earning what I was earning 7 years ago! Doing something I was doing 10 years ago! My temp contract been extended for another 2 months which I'm happy for. But we finding it difficult to cut even every month on just one salary.

I was told by one agent, maybe other people can comment on this, that if you come from other state or abroad that you seen as competition as you have more experience then them and they see it as a treat. Therefore they least likely to employ you. For them is very important that you have work experience in Adelaide but the problem is it can be quite difficult to get you foot in.

I think it depends which area of work you do also.

Good luck to everybody.

I think that it is great that things worked out for you so quickly, things certainly turned a corner for me in the last month. I have been working part time since arriving in a job I arranged before I left the UK so was OKish financially and was just using savings to pay rent but just could not get that elusive full time job. Anyway - 4 interviews came up in the last month or so after 5 months of nothing and was offered one and I start next week, at the high end of my salary expectations.

However as Emu said, we have spent a lot supporting ourselves and getting ourselves established here and it is important to assume that you will be out of work for at least 6 months and make sure that you bring enough spare cash to survive on.

Guest Libby1971

However as Emu said, we have spent a lot supporting ourselves and getting ourselves established here and it is important to assume that you will be out of work for at least 6 months and make sure that you bring enough spare cash to survive on.

Absolutely essential

:notworthy:

I think that it is great that things worked out for you so quickly, things certainly turned a corner for me in the last month. I have been working part time since arriving in a job I arranged before I left the UK so was OKish financially and was just using savings to pay rent but just could not get that elusive full time job. Anyway - 4 interviews came up in the last month or so after 5 months of nothing and was offered one and I start next week, at the high end of my salary expectations.

I totally agree with that and believe me when I say we were running out of cash but we knew that before we came. I just wanted to let people know there are jobs there and it can work out for people.