Anyone self employed that can offer some advice?

Guest Woody and Jane

Guest Woody and Jane

Hi, my wife and I are due to arrive in Adelaide on the 5th of November (oh how I will miss the constant fireworks that night/week) and while Jane is a nurse and is hoping to get snapped up quickly my employer in the UK has decided they'd like to keep me on.

While initially this sounds fantastic as I won't have a drop in wages I'm a little worried about how they are wanting to pay me. If my wages go through payroll as normal I'd have to pay tax and NI which living in Oz will be pointless so they have said register your own company i.e. be self employed, and invoice them every month. They will pay me tax and NI free into my UK bank which I can then access in Oz.

I'd like to (but would rather not ;)) pay my taxes in Oz so everything is above board but I was just wondering if this sounds feasible? Is anyone else in the same boat or do you think I should seek financial advice from a bank/financial adviser in Oz?

Thanks

Woody.

Guest Guest75

Hi Woody

Looks like a good scenario for you if planned right.

You seriously need to speak to an accountant here in Oz .

You really don't want to be paying tax twice!:mad:

Could I suggest our accountant - Doug Booth.

He is an ex pat so knows both sides of the laws.

He saves us a lot in tax.:)

Have a look at his web site - he is based in the south at Christies Beach.

http://www.sas-pl.com.au/index.htm

Hi Woody

Looks like a good scenario for you if planned right.

You seriously need to speak to an accountant here in Oz .

You really don't want to be paying tax twice!:mad:

Could I suggest our accountant - Doug Booth.

He is an ex pat so knows both sides of the laws.

He saves us a lot in tax.:)

Have a look at his web site - he is based in the south at Christies Beach.

http://www.sas-pl.com.au/index.htm

I second Doug. we were recommended to him and he does seem to know what he is talking about.Our first year of tax paying here and it was very painless (I am self employed aswell as employed) and all exlpained for next year too. Gave his number to some ozzie friends who have used another for years and they are very happy with his calculations this year ;)

kath x