Job adverts which say Only people with Australia/NZ non-restricted visa should apply.

Guest Fly Away

Guest Fly Away

What does the following mean when included in a job advertisement;

Only people with Australia/NZ non-restricted visa should apply.

I have noticed it on quite a few ads. We are on a 475 visa and we are not sure if this means we can't apply for these jobs?

Thanks in advance :wubclub:

It means VISAs that state you cannot work on ie a holiday VISA, but to be honest alot of companies possibly will not look at some people unless thay have PR....but as long as your VISA does NOT state that you CANNOT work then apply to your hearts content.

Just develop a very thick skin over here as they are very crap at answering any job applications here !!!!!!

HG

Guest Fly Away

Ok... now I'm more confused... 2 different replies

I thought employers couldn't specify 475's couldn't apply for jobs as they were on a pathway to PR.

Any 475 visa holders who can clarify?

Ok... now I'm more confused... 2 different replies

I thought employers couldn't specify 475's couldn't apply for jobs as they were on a pathway to PR.

Any 475 visa holders who can clarify?

Unfortunalty it's true, on a 475 some employers won't take you in, the same as happened to us, myself and my husband.

The most recent case is I am temping on a job and now they are advertising that same job but I can't apply as they only want permanent residents! I was really shocked when I was told this as I was led on to believe from 2 managers and HR that I could apply for this job or any other internal job.

So I am afraid that it's true, we are a bit disapointed as we never thought this would happen to us, we thought it was only with government and defense positions!

Does anyone know how to go about putting our case forward to Immigration SA?

Guest kangomik

Defence you generally have to be a citizen.

Checking DIAC , does not mean you will be offered a job. You can have all the skills in the world, but in the present climate, if your outside the box, then you will find it hard.

in my case I am allowed to work and they are already employing me but as a temp, but they dont employ anybody without permanent residency

i have checked this with HR and this is the case ... so i am looking again for jobs

if you guys see something of interest pls let me know or post it here and i will do the same if i see any companies that have lots of jobs

Guest MarkIngram

this is a really good thread...I'm coming over on a 475 visa just 8 weeks and 4 days until we fly out...my wife printed off a letter that can be given to employers from Immigration SA that states that you are entitled to work and that the visa is a pathway to PR...I think she got it from the website so it's worth printing off and sending with each application possibly.

I never specified what my visa was unless specifically asked, stating on my CV that I have the right to live and work in Australia, I am on a 495 (SIR) which I believe is the same as the 475 now. I only had one major issue with my visa status which I wrote about on here. The agency I wanted to apply for a job though wouldn't even put me forward as they told me that I was only able to work for one employer for 6 months, as if I was on a working holiday visa. Even when I sent them a copy of that letter from Immigration SA they still wouldn't have it. Thankfully I found a great job with a really good employer who are very open minded about immigrants working there and couldn't be happier.

Going back to Flyaway's question, I would still chuck an application in if they say that, what have you got to lose?

Hi again, after being told that I could not apply for permanent positions by a manager and HR, I decided to be a bit stuborn and send them the letter from Immigration stating our work rights, it looks after all I can apply to permanent positions.

So I guess the lesson to be learned is BE STUBBORN! :o)

Insist with them and give them the letter.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest lkaddoumi
Hi again, after being told that I could not apply for permanent positions by a manager and HR, I decided to be a bit stuborn and send them the letter from Immigration stating our work rights, it looks after all I can apply to permanent positions.

So I guess the lesson to be learned is BE STUBBORN! :o)

Insist with them and give them the letter.

Hello Emu

could you show me the way to get hold of this letter?

Thanks

Luciana