Can I study or do business on 475

Guest Umar

Dear all,

I have applied for 475, I don't know that whether I will get a job or not as IT Trainer, Lecturer as currently I belong to Teaching in University working as faculty member and teaching unndergraduate students, so looking for alternatives but I am not sure whether I am able to persue those or not.

am i eligible to pursue Phd degree full time ?

Am I able to start any business ? what are the options ? how much money is required ?

You can study on a 475 but you have to pay international tuition fees which are vastly more than they are for permanent residency. You're talking $35,000 per year (approx). Also, if you are hoping to apply for permanent residency after 2 years, you will need to have worked full time for a minimum of 12 months during that time. No idea about the business side of things - sorry!

Guest Jo&Phil

If you're already tutoring/lecturing it may be worth contacting Universities here to see if they have any casual vacancies. There is usually a jobs section on each Uni's website. This might also help with your PhD studies too. When I was on a student visa I was offered a sponsored PhD spot at UniSA but the sponsorship covered the fees as I wasn't (at that stage) a Permanent Resident so it would have left me nothing to live on ......... and I already had another teaching job at a different tertiary education provider that paid well - so I didn't take it up.

There are 3 unis here in Adelaide. Flinders www.flinders.edu.au and UniSA www.unisa.edu.au and Uni Adelaide www.adelaide.edu.au There is also a Carnegie Mellon off shoot here but I'm not sure of their website address. I'm not sure if they all do IT

There are lots of other tertiary education providers who also often have casual teaching roles -- it's probably easier to pop into those when you're in Adelaide. Have your CV ready!

Thanks for the reply, I have already gone through their websites, there are no such positions, I have not , for trietorry colleges, I think I can be well suited there. For Phd I got recommendation from prof in UniSA, and now waiting for official letter, I also got sponsor ship from my country for PhD, So I would be doing Phd, but I also want to do a job as it is my Visa Requirement.

By the way, what was your area, how was your experience in UniSA, I also got recommendation from University of Adelaide by one Chinese Professor, my area is Computer Science. Did you already completed your PhD. what are you doing now adays ?