hmm work

Guest Lisado

Guest Lisado

I'm just finishing my 2nd week in my new job. I have to say I haven't stamped one book yet but I am in the process of setting up a library in a law firm and boy am I busy. I'm working 37 hrs a week at the moment which is more than I did back home but hoping to go part time after Xmas

I found it hard to fit in - abit clicky I found but today I have been taken by surprise and handed a beer! What makes me laugh - only the girls drinking :)

Never had this back at home and they are so relaxed here even though the Aussies work their butts off!

My hubby found a job too - so there is hope to all out there who worried nothing will turn up. Keep at it and it will

We have been here nearly 6 wks and never looked back

Lisa

Guest back clan

Hey Lisa, I'm glad u got the beer from the girls at work after their reaction at first and i hope the job is going well. I got invited to the girls xmas party today which made me feel part of the gang!.See you soon xx

Guest kangomik

Things take a while, and you have to be open to all invites. Glad to see it's working out. Love the comment about Aussies working hard, some great people here who are not work shy at all.

Keep up the good work, sounds like things are slotting in well, especially if you are both working.

Guest graandjac

:)Thats the way, get stuck in and things settle very quickly, Jac works in the city and yes they work there butts off do the aussies, but come friday.......its beers all round;). The best one for me most nights I drive back home along River Road in Noarlunga and at the BBQ on the bend by the reserve, there is about 3 times a week 3-6 guys who have finished work , sat there with a carton on the table:goofy:enjoying the sunset........its the aussie way.....pmsl

Sounds like a great job, well done.

However I have to say I am very surprised at a law firm allowing beer on the premises - they (and any other firm allowing comsumption of alcohol on company premises) are leaving themselves open to a nasty lawsuit if an employee has an alcohol related accident on the way home! This is why generally most companies won't allow any alcohol on the premises and have drugs and alcohol policies in force. It's all down to OHS&W and duty of care. Crikey!

Sounds like a great job, well done.

However I have to say I am very surprised at a law firm allowing beer on the premises - they (and any other firm allowing comsumption of alcohol on company premises) are leaving themselves open to a nasty lawsuit if an employee has an alcohol related accident on the way home! This is why generally most companies won't allow any alcohol on the premises and have drugs and alcohol policies in force. It's all down to OHS&W and duty of care. Crikey!

Every law firm I work for has alcohol on the premises - mainly for entertaining clients, celebrating deals, and often just a thank you to staff (not all lawyers are sharks!!!)

Guest nishman

I must admit, when I first got here we used to have a beer and nibbles after work on the first Friday of the month funded by the social group. Within a year that was canned, as the policy changed within the company banning alcohol to be kept in the offices, and banning the conumption of alcohol on the premises. The reason being was the extension of the duty of care to include the commute home and to align us with "the rest of group" who have employees on site (with their own strict D&A policies).

I've since been on secondment to another company and I was handed a beer whilst writing a report a couple of weeks ago :) . Wherever I've been though, the Friday lunchtime beer is still commonplace and accepted.

If the law firms allow it, they must have a waiver clause in their employee's contracts LOL