Admin work

McGintyoz

Any one got any ideas of how you actually manage to get to interview stage. I have been sending off my resume and covering letters but no one even wants to give me a chance over here. I am registered with Hays and one job they offered me went on hold and the other they are still waiting for the clients even though after being for an interview I was told the job would start this Monday. I really want to work but am not being given the opportunity.

Please help.:arghh:

Register with more than one temp organisation. Hays are good, so are Weststaff, Kelly and Locher are a favourite with a number of government organisations. And don't necessarily wait until they call you. Check out the Seek website daily, develop a good relationship with the consultant and call them in a kind, friendly way. Everyone needs to earn an income and if they are a good consultant then they know how you are feeling. If you have passed their tests then they know you can do the job - it's just a matter of waiting and friendly nagging. Good luck.

Any one got any ideas of how you actually manage to get to interview stage. I have been sending off my resume and covering letters but no one even wants to give me a chance over here. I am registered with Hays and one job they offered me went on hold and the other they are still waiting for the clients even though after being for an interview I was told the job would start this Monday. I really want to work but am not being given the opportunity.

Please help.:arghh:

Just thought I would let you know, you're not the only one. Have been applying to at least one job every day for a month with absolutely no response whatsoever.

Guest The Pickles

You really aren't the only one... I'm a PA with over 15 years high level experience but am still struggling to find a permanent role. I'm on my second temp role now (through Hays) and have to say, if something is offered, take it! The more Adelaide experience the better it seems.

Good luck.

Marilyn

Guest Here at last!

Me too. I have applied for loads over the last 2 months and only heard from 4.

I have just been offered a casual job but not really worth me taking it once I have paid for childcare but part of me wants to take it just so I can get some experience.

Sonya

Hmmm I'd agree to register with as many agencies as possible. Also spend some time learning how to address selection criteria, if you haven't done so before, and have a good look at the SA Govt web site for jobs as well. And, of course, make sure your resume is up to Aussie standards.

Me too. I have applied for loads over the last 2 months and only heard from 4.

I have just been offered a casual job but not really worth me taking it once I have paid for childcare but part of me wants to take it just so I can get some experience.

Sonya

Take it, just for the experience. You can always leave a casual job for something better if it happens to come along.

I agree with Suzer about the selection criteria. I work in recruitment for a large employer in Adelaide and I recently advertised a PA role and had over 90 applications. 70 of them had not bothered to put selection criteria with the application as required and some of the CVs were so bad it was ridiculous that they were applying for a role that needed good admin skills. Selection criteria statements are crucial when they are asked for and they take some time to complete, once you have done a few you should have built up lots of examples of how you have multi-tasked, managed competing priorities, worked in a team etc etc and you can just cut and paste then but to start with they are very onerous.

You will get there eventually, I applied for around 40 jobs from Feb - June, got 5 interviews and was offered the one I have now which is fab.

Good luck with it....

Guest Here at last!
Take it, just for the experience. You can always leave a casual job for something better if it happens to come along.

I have taken the position and start Monday!!

After a year of not working I can't wait to get back to work and adult conversation! Although I will miss my kids!!

Sonya

Have just applied for my 25th job since arriving. I had my first rejection email this morning, hurray!

As for 'selection criteria' it would help if employers were consistent. I had a company ring and ask me to resubmit an application because I had matched my skills to the person spec as per the job advert, but they really wanted me to match it to the job spec.

She also audibly sighed when I confirmed that my referees (previous employers) are in the UK.

Can someone introduce these people to email?? Or a fax machine??!:skeptical:

Have just applied for my 25th job since arriving. I had my first rejection email this morning, hurray!

As for 'selection criteria' it would help if employers were consistent. I had a company ring and ask me to resubmit an application because I had matched my skills to the person spec as per the job advert, but they really wanted me to match it to the job spec.

She also audibly sighed when I confirmed that my referees (previous employers) are in the UK.

Can someone introduce these people to email?? Or a fax machine??!:skeptical:

Selection criteria are very specific and will be called just that.

Erm thanks, but they weren't called 'just that' at all. I've re-checked the advert and I completed the application as per the instructions. I've heard similar stories on here too.

Aussie employers are human, just like everyone else.

It is also not what you know but who you know. It is extremely frustrating at work when you hear people getting jobs with no experience whatsoever in the job that they will be doing when you know there are people like yourselves who are more than competent to do the role. It's because they have friends here that have got them that "foot in the door". Grrrrrr.

Erm thanks, but they weren't called 'just that' at all. I've re-checked the advert and I completed the application as per the instructions. I've heard similar stories on here too.

Aussie employers are human, just like everyone else.

I was just saying that then that doesn't quite qualify as selection criteria. If you're unsure and what to address and how, it never hurts to contact the prospective employer to ask before you complete your application.

I was sure....being as I read the advert properly.

However, I have taken to ringing employers to double check now. Should be unnecessary if the advert and job pack info is clear, but when in Rome....

And Moosh, I couldn't agree more. The 'who you know' thing drives me nuts and is an attitude that should have stayed in the print unions in the 70s!!

Meanwhile, the hunt continues...

I'm coming to learn that there are quite a few of us ex-pat multi-job searchers about!

• 3 weeks later...

The next time I get a job rejection email/letter (and I get them almost every day, so it won't be a long wait) I'm going to send them a polite reply.

It will thank them for their correspondence, but point out that despite their protestations to the contrary, my skills and experience did in fact match the job spec and that the actual reason my application was unsuccessful was because I am not Australian and have neither Australian work experience or references.

42 job applications later, I finally have an interview. It's to work as a multicultural officer for the government. The one profession it would seem, where they simply can't ignore my application due to my nationality.

I may also start a Christmas recycling push a la Marks & Spencers, only with job rejections instead of old Christmas cards. There's so many of us receiving them both on and off this forum that I reckon I could be quids (sorry Adelaide....dollars!) in!! ;)