I'm a support worker help!

Guest BarmyRockChick

Guest BarmyRockChick

Hi all, me and my partner have recently been throwing around the idea of moving to Adelaide so I'm doing some research on our chances and was wondering if you could help me out with some info.

I'm a support worker (used to be called nursing assistant!) and have been for around 16 years, I've passed my level 3 NVQ in care/mental health and have loads of evidence of how many years I've been working in this career. Will I be able to find work easily in Adelaide and would my occupation be included on the approved occupations list? I've looked but I'm not sure what my job title would be out there!

My partner is a carpenter and has been for around 22 years, he was taught under an apprentership but the elderly bloke who taught him has since passed away so how would he prove it? He can get testimonies for a number of years but we also lived in Tenerife for 7 years so chasing any proof of employment from there might prove difficult!

Who would be better off being the main applicant? Also I've noticed a few people mentioning agents, how do you find a good one and what exactly do they do?

Cheers for the help

Jo

Guest dglamoore

Hi Jo

Welcome to PIA :D

Greg is a metal polisher and also learnt through training but the company had closed - we contacted the tax office and got a National Insurance history which lists all the places you have worked with dates. We used this plus additional declarations etc to show where Greg had worked (sounds easier than it was :rolleyes:)

We contacted three agents for a chat and went with the one we felt knew the most so we had complete confidence with them. Many will ofer a free consultation so give a few a call. We used Go Matilda and they were extremely good.

An agent would also be able to let you know what your skills would come under if on the list and which would be the better of you to be sole applicant based on points etc.

Good luck with everything - it is a very friendly bunch of people on here so just shout with any questions ;)

Lisa:cool:

Guest Django

Welcome to PIA,

Hope you find this place as useful as I have. Good luck on your form filling and stuff. Can't help much as I'm just learning how to do the do myself.

Good to see you like propper music though.;):)

Pete

Guest BarmyRockChick

I did a bit more research on the internet last night, my NVQ3 is equivalent to a diploma but nurse assistant isn't recognised on the approved occupations list which is a bit pants as I consider it a professional job! I think my other half will have a better chance as a carpenter which is a definate occupation wanted in Oz, he's mostly worked self employed over the years and I've written a list of evidence of this required.

When we returned to the UK from Tenerife in 2003 he worked for a construction company so obviously we have proof of that and also loads from when he went self employed again last October further back involves our time abroad though!

Looks like I'm going to have to go through the folder I kept from then and find evidence of being a carpenter out there and then have it translated which I imagine isn't cheap! We all (except our nearly 5 year old!) speak spanish so was wondering if one of us should go for a qualification in that as well as it's one the languages listed as needed?

We're going to wait until the Sept 1st changes to decide if this is what we want, our other problem is that our son whose nearly 15 isn't keen on moving away again. We know our youngest would love it as she's very confident but I do worry about disrupting our lad while he's on the GCSE stage of his education.

Jo

• 9 months later...
Guest CHORLEY GIRL

Hi Jo,:)

New to all this myself only joined yesterday, don't know if im going to be of much help but i wouldn't dismiss your job altogether.

I am also a support worker, if you look on the list Community Support Worker not support worker it is on there or was a few months ago, dont know if your job is a community support worker because there are lots of different catagories although it is worth checking it out as the job description covered mine and was 50points, however we have since decided to go with my partners occupation.

I don't know all your qualifications and info and am no expert but we have gone with a fab agent and two of our friends have gone with the same, one of which is out there now. True Blue Migration.:swoon:

They were very helpful and gave us lots of advice and info and we didn't pay them a penny. We are only at early stages ourselves, seems forever. Hope this was of some Help!:GEEK:

jo and tom

• 2 weeks later...
Hi all, me and my partner have recently been throwing around the idea of moving to Adelaide so I'm doing some research on our chances and was wondering if you could help me out with some info.

I'm a support worker (used to be called nursing assistant!) and have been for around 16 years, I've passed my level 3 NVQ in care/mental health and have loads of evidence of how many years I've been working in this career. Will I be able to find work easily in Adelaide and would my occupation be included on the approved occupations list? I've looked but I'm not sure what my job title would be out there!

My partner is a carpenter and has been for around 22 years, he was taught under an apprentership but the elderly bloke who taught him has since passed away so how would he prove it? He can get testimonies for a number of years but we also lived in Tenerife for 7 years so chasing any proof of employment from there might prove difficult!

Who would be better off being the main applicant? Also I've noticed a few people mentioning agents, how do you find a good one and what exactly do they do?

Cheers for the help

Jo

Your NVQ is definantly transferrable to SA, and there is a lot of work available for carers here, they dont have nursing assistants, they still train EN's here and the majority of hospitals used EN's rather than auxilaries, you would definantly get work as a carer though either in mental health, aged care or the comunity.

best of luck