Plumbers / Gasfitter

Guest sa2uk2oz

Guest sa2uk2oz

Hello all

We will be there before the year is out - hopefully :D

Are there any plumbers out there i could chat too? I am been classified as a gasfitter, but am just a bit worried about getting work before the Xmas period.

Does anyone know if there is a lot of plumbing work around?

Any help or advise much appreciated.

C & D

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

We are hoping to move to Adelaide jan 08. We are moving on a Work sponsored visa so are lucky to be arriving with a plumbing Job to go which is great, unfortunately the money is quite poor and we are not sure if that is the norm so will be hoping to go self employed after gaining a full plumbing licence which takes around a yr I think while working for a plumber/company. Our English friend that has lived in Adelaide for 2 yrs said that there is loads on work for Plumbers in around Adelaide, but just not sure if you can earn as much over there as plumbers do here, well not to start off with anyway. So if anyone out there knows more about wages, pls get in touch. Thanks Julie

Guest dglamoore
Hi,

We are hoping to move to Adelaide jan 08. We are moving on a Work sponsored visa so are lucky to be arriving with a plumbing Job to go which is great, unfortunately the money is quite poor and we are not sure if that is the norm so will be hoping to go self employed after gaining a full plumbing licence which takes around a yr I think while working for a plumber/company. Our English friend that has lived in Adelaide for 2 yrs said that there is loads on work for Plumbers in around Adelaide, but just not sure if you can earn as much over there as plumbers do here, well not to start off with anyway. So if anyone out there knows more about wages, pls get in touch. Thanks Julie

Hi

If you are coming here on a work sponsered visa do you not have to stay with the employer for a set time? Did not think you could could come over and then go self employed/sub contract unless you were on an independant skills visa:err: Sorry don't know about plumbers wages but if there are any on here they will soon help you out.

Lisa:v_SPIN:

Lisa,

Yes u r correct in saying u have to work for the same employee for a set time. We have signed a contract for a year, this would then help in gaining the full plumbing licence which Lee will need to be able to work for himself in time, unless he is happy to continue working for the Company.

Guest Guzzler&Sas

Hi there

I think it is safe to say though about wages, that money goes much further here than the UK. I know this is a huge debate for Brits coming out, but my husband is a carpenter and ran his own business in the UK and earned enough to keep us going. Out here, he works for someone else at present, earns less but the money goes further (if you shop around). But generally the cost of living is much less here - expect to eat out for about $50 for a family of 4 which in our opinion is much less than the UK.

Good luck ...

Regs

Sas