new SAPOL recruit

Guest cosmonik

Guest cosmonik

Hi All

I have recently been accepted to join South australia police to start in April 2010, Wondering if there are any other new recruits on here starting on the same course? would be nice to know some names before heading out there, finding all the organising a tad daunting. Get in touch if your on here.:unsure: Nicki

Guest Guest75

Welcome to the forum - we have seen quite a few come over to join Sapol.

I'm not in the intake but please remember my name and very similar registration if you ever pull me up or find me stumbling out of a bar?:notworthy::notworthy:

PS - the 10 week course can be a little boring but do pay attention,there are some subtle differences.

Guest cornish Busdriver

Gday.

I went to the Largs bay earlier this year on a seminar to see what it would be like.

Just getting my fitness back up and will be applying roughly feb next year.

Guest cosmonik

Thankyou,

I will check out that forum as well. I'm finding everything a bit stressful at the moment as trying to sell my property before i come out, i'm sure that once that is done everything else will fall into place.

Can i ask, how long have you been in Adelaide now and how did you find getting the visa's?

N

Good evening Cosmonik.

Here is a forum my Husband used to use a few years ago, he found it very informative and we have made a few good friends from there.

http://www.police-forum.com/

Hope you find this helpful and the mods make a note of it ;)

OMG All this time I've thought that Wersal was male!! Fancy that!!!!! Learn something new every day...,.

• 1 month later...

Having been where you are I did find the Forum very helpful.

However be careful not to be drawn in by the positivie vibe that is given out onthere by numerous long standing members.

Its not all roses and the job is not what they tell you on the induction day. Consider the reasons for coming and look into all the aspects properly. Then you like most of the Ukers will not be let down by SAPOL.

For all those who are coming in2010, enjoy the training and hopefully the course members will leave the UK ethos at home and all get on..

Enjoy the ride

Hey

I'm joining SAPOL in April as well. I still need to sell my house but can always rent it if I find myself in March not having sold.

The police Forum is quite useful in regards to paperwork etc, but all that's done now. I think there may be some sort of get together in London before we go for those of us who want to meet up. If you keep an eye on the link I think Plods might organise it.

My auntie suggested this site and it's really useful. Iv'e been told to just go with the flow when it comes to work in SAPOL.

Good Luck!

:confused:

Guest Ant1382 and kerry

Im joining in April as well, trying to sell the house and all the rigmarole which goes with moving, Do you ahve any ideas of where you would like to be stationed i see we will get preferences, however its a massive place to choose from. have you any ideas where to live also. Cheers

It will be each persons preference as to where they want to work. I personally want to work in Adelaide (not sure which station at the moment) and in an ideal world live near the coast somewhere like Brighton perhaps?

I am going to try and rent to start off with however whilst we train. Ive heard that Semaphore is really nice and not far at all to where we train.

I bet there are hundreds of people on here that can give you some good tips on wheres best to live. There is a hell of a lot of info. on the net as well and now with Google maps you can even tke a virtual walk along the beach.

Good luck with the house sale Ive not had one person round mine yet.

:idea:

I wont be on the intake for this or any year for SAPOL.

Thats not for the want of trying mind, It has been my experience that once youv'e done your 30 no one wants you, even though ageism is against the law in OZ and over 50's can allegedly join the Po-lice.:biglaugh:

What I would say is that they aint advertising for plum vacancies !

For what my advice is worth I would say, go, do it, and take everything that's thrown at you but give it 5 years though before you decide you don't like it.

Iv'e been to SA and love the place and wish I was going in your place.

Good luck.

Guest UK2Adelaide

I agree with Rachel, but its difficult to have any sort of lifestyle when your OH is working ridiculous antiquated shift patterns (which are illegal back in the UK) and such a poor wage that its hard affording to do nice things with the family!!

Just as a matter of balance, got quite a few friends and acquaintances with SAPOL here who are happy and enjoy their jobs - nothing worth having is ever easy of course, but it's not all doom and gloom. Don't be put off by some of the above negative comments, come with an open mind and make your own judgements.

Do check out the police forum - you may get a more balanced view on there, and I'm sure most would be happy to answer any questions you have by PM.

D

(enjoying the sunshine, a glass of local wine in the spa, and a bounce on the kids' trampoline... lifestyle is what it's about and a better future for your kids!)

Guest UK2Adelaide

In fairness I wouldnt say its negative comments, I'm just saying it like it is, no one can comment until they're going through it, all I'm saying is we are a lot worse off financially than what we were in the UK and I see my OH a lot less but I still wouldnt change it, this is our home now.

For what its worth I agree with Diane.

Try not to dwell too much on other peoples experiences. We all come from various walks of life, some come with more money than others whcih has a big impact on how your life will change.

I have ben with SAPOL for almost 2 years. I wouldn't say its the best job I've had but its not the worst either. There are plenty of opportunities, if you want to work for them. Me personally I am not interested in furthering my career. I have a nice little number. No nights, latest finish 9.30pm and every other weekend off. I get 18.5% shift penalty so I know how much I am getting each fortnight.

I have come for the lifestyle and my kids and its is vererything I hopes it would be. I dont need to go away on holiday as I have everything here that I need but I could go if I wanted. No loans (apart from the mortgage) and no credit cards equlas a good nights sleep !!

Guest Ant1382 and kerry

Im going to stay in the accomodation on site cheaper than renting away from there, gives me 10 weeks till the family come out as im going over there initially on my own.

I fancy the country areas to work as worked in the city (newcastle) for the last six years, the only thing seems to be the massive area and the distance i may have to drive to work.

There seems to be both positive and negative vibes for the Police, bit like over here no job is perfect if it was i would have found it!!! ive never been to Australia and know very little about the Police over there, im going with an open mine and hope its a good life, i don't expect to be a millionaire or anthing like it, just a nice place to work and a nice place for my 2 young boys to go to school.

Guest UK2Adelaide

Thats a good way of looking at things, its like everything isnt it you're always going to hear the positive and negative, I think if you keep it all in mind and keep an open mind you wont go far wrong. Good luck with the move.

Think you had a lucky escape, I was a Cop in the UK for many years and wouldn't join SAPOl as they are like "Life on Mars" Most people come over for the life style with SAPOL not the career.

No you miss my point.

I was in the police in the uk for 30 years, Life on Mars had many things that reminded me of my time in the CID in that period. I lived with the wonder of Judges Rules and 3 day lie downs

I've been to Australia and stayed with the Police there and have friends in VicPol, the UK isn't the be all and end all of everything.

I say to any and all that fancy it...Give it a go, but give it more than two years before you decide it's not for you.

Good luck to all going over in this and any intake

regards

As was pointed out by others, everybody has different expereinces here with SAPOL. Its not until you try to expand on your own that people become agitated and defensive.

If we weere all the same andnever had any different opinion, then we would all be pretty boring and robotic.

I like most who have left the UK to come to OZ for a better lifestyle for my family. I Have found most of the adventure positive. In life there will always be things you wish you had done or on the other hand, things youdid not do.

SAPOL like the UK 42 forces has got its problems and maybe in time they will work out the shifts are terrible. If this was changed then my choice would be a 100% correct and my lifestyle would be spot on. ITs pretty difficult to have a better quality of life when you and your family never see eeach otther due to work.. I did not come here for a career either, I left it in the UK..

If you are lucky enough to work in (or drop in) a nice littel spot working Monday to friday with weekends off. Well good on ya. Its not that easy here in SAPOl. It does happen but remember your back on the bottom of the ladder and it does take some time to climb.

This is not a winging pomm, Its a realistic one.

So before you draw back your arrow. Have a look in the mirror and you may see you and not me!! We all have something to offer.

OH and have a great New year and enjoy the stress pressure and the adventure of coming to another country..

If you need any help or have any questions, feel free to ask..

Guest Ant1382 and kerry

Ive heard a lot about the shift pattern and the amount of hours, is that in all the stations or do each have their own shift pattern, i was hoping to spend more time with the family, is overtime readily available for money or is it time off.

Im going to give it a go, hell ive bought the tickets and sold half of our stuff. you only get one chance.