how hard is this

Guest badlands

Guest badlands

just moved from perth to adelaide turned 50 but fit and healthy been in navy 15 years 12 years offshore and bein told im not skilled to be a baggage handler hows this all work

You don't need a license do you as you do for everything else here!!!

Lots of things here are down to who you know not what, if you have a contact could be worth ringing and asking why?

Good luck and hope things work out.

Guest badlands

thanks guys just moved here so i hav no contacts but really need steady work cant belive all the jobs i apply for and no one replys is this normal over here they seem to want to giv u a days work here and there which is no good to me hav to keep chippiong away

Guest WoodMartin
... no one replys is this normal over here ...

I've had an approx 50% reply rate to applications.

Good luck with the job search though - hope something comes along soon.

Ali

thanks guys just moved here so i hav no contacts but really need steady work cant belive all the jobs i apply for and no one replys is this normal over here they seem to want to giv u a days work here and there which is no good to me hav to keep chippiong away

You may find the best way to get an "in" is to take the occasional day offered - once they get to know you that may well lead to bigger and better things. When my OH was looking earlier in the year for a job, he rang up agencies and said "I'll do anything - if you have a job on your books that you think is too short-term, too low paid, whatever, then put me forward for it" - he started on a short term, very badly paid contract, got to know the people there, showed them what he was capable of, and it led to more work, which led to longer contract, which led to better pay etc etc.

Sometimes you have to take a couple of steps back before you can go forward.

Good luck anyway

Guest badlands

thanks for the advice just i get peeved off wen they say if u hav got the skills we need we get back to u but the reason im applyin is i hav all the tickets and skills and hav been doin the job im applyin for but still they never get back really think my age 50 might b a stumblin block here but i will just hav to take the day here an there

thanks for the advice just i get peeved off wen they say if u hav got the skills we need we get back to u but the reason im applyin is i hav all the tickets and skills and hav been doin the job im applyin for but still they never get back really think my age 50 might b a stumblin block here but i will just hav to take the day here an there

Your age mate and your nationality. I've just had my first interview after 40 applications. I was called today to tell me I hadn't got the job as they'd given it to someone with 'local experience'.

Personally I think if you left a job in Perth to come here, you're insane. I have NO idea how people get a foot in the door here, it's the most 'retarded' recruitment 'system' I have encountered anywhere.

All I can suggest is you keep trying as I'm trying to do.

All the best

Guest SA Great

I have found Adelaide extremely clicky. All this bull**** about skills shortages in the mines, I know 4 people who applied. The 3 who had experience didn't get anything and the one that had no experience got a job because he knew someone. I can think of several instances of who you know not what you know.

Guest badlands

thanks for the feedback guys wat gets me is south australia wants all these new people to emergrate here yet they dont say wat a struggle it is for most of people here yet they still say come weird i think:sad: