Lots of questions

Guest TINA.G

Hi. Have just started the process for our move to SA, as a nurse, thought best start with registering with ANMC, have sent off all paperwork, did my IELTs last Sat. If all goes to plan, hope to be in Oz by Oct 2011. OH, wants to wait for personal reasons.

Are their any nurses out there who can recommend, hospitals, areas of work. Have been working in Accident and Emergency for past 15 years, currently managing an Acute admissions unit, catering for all specialities. Any advice gratefully received.

Plus any advice any where we aim to live, have been out to SA, 2 years ago, but wasn't really looking at suburbs to live in then, or clocking the time travelled.

Sorry for the waffle. :jiggy:

Guest thekings

Hi there Tina, did my IELTS last Sat as well, should get results about same time (will have to compare notes). Cant help on your question as am still in the UK as well pending visa. Was asked to get medicals done today so starting to get EVEN more excited if thats possible. I work in theatres and will be seeking employment over the next couple of months myself.

Good luck with everything :)

Guest Jen & Did

Hi

I am currently working at the Royal Adeladie Hospital, as I was offered the job from the uk via the RCN bullentin. Reading previous posts some people email the Hospitals direct. Last week in the news it mentioned that in SA they are short of Nurses and will be trying to recruit more oversea nurses. Other hospitals include Flinders, Queen Elizabeth and Noarlunga that I know there maybe a few more. These hospitals are public but there are also private hospitals but apparently they don't get paid as much as public but it depends on what your after. We currently live in Aldinga Beach and I travel to the city by car. It can take up to an hour but there is the train from Noarlunga to the city. People I work with are quite surprised that I live this far but I don't mind the travelling because the views home destress me but then again work here not that stressful compared to where i worked in the uk. Hope this helps if you need anymore info there are plenty more nurses on here to help.

I'd suggest working casually at first, either with an agency or as part of the *pool* its better paid, though no annual leave/sick pay, But it will give you an idea of where you'd prefer to work long term, Agency is great, often you get *block* bookings so the continuity is there, but it also means if you hate it you dont have to go back if you dont want to.

Best of luck :)

It'll be interesting to follow your trials and tribulations, before you go and once you arrive. As it looks like your going to go a while before me. So you keep us all updated, what to do and what not to do.

Guest Jen & Did

Hi

Sorry not been in touch sooner but working. In the uk I was a gynae nurse with a ratio of 1-8/9 it was a very busy ward with some days not even getting a break. Here I'm working on a surgical specialities ward which include, gynae, dermatalogy, neurosurgery and plastics and is very interesting. The patient ratio is 1-4, I get a morning or afternoon tea, plus a break. You do work eight hours a shift so a total of 40 hours if full time but once a month you get a paid day off as well as your six weeks annual leave for which you need to earn as you go. At the moment I can't get use to the pace but I couldn't tell you what A&E is like. Hope this helps.

Jen

HI my husband is an ED nurse (A & E) at Noarlunga hospital. He loves it there and would highly recommend it. The department does not take serious trauma stuff but there is enough interesting stuff to keep you very busy.

Depending on where you live you may want to consider Noarlunga or flinders rather than The RAH unless you live near the city of course. My hubbie worked for 6 months at the RAH and commuted from Noarlunga on the train he was over it big time after 6 months. hope this helps

x

What sort of visa are you coming over on? if its a perm visa then it wont matter who you work for (im not 100% sure how it would affect a state sponsered tho... im sure other will be able to give you more info there)

As for agency's there are tonnes!! literally, some better than others, from my experience NASANSB seems to be the *agency of choice* for a lot of health care providers and i know they pay slightly higher rates than a lot of the other agencies, You'd have to wait until you arrived before signing up though, Once your here it's simply a matter of calling them, going in for an informal interview and having a days *orientation* Once you've done that you can work as little or as many shifts as you choose. If you want any numbers let me know and i'll find them for you .

Best of luck :)

hi maria, i am currently working agency in the UK and love it-how would i get an agency job over there? and how would it work re:visas and sponsorship?

• 2 weeks later...

thanks Maria, very helpful. I've taken the plunge and joined an agency in UK to get me placed somewhere on an Employer Sponsorship Visa, as due to the changes a couple of months ago, it seems to be a bit more tricky to get a Visa without a job (were told that at an Expo 2 wks ago). I'm just waiting for all the different institutions to send me all the relevant papers/ref's etc, IELTS in Jan. I've taken a note of the Agency name you gave as i would def like to join when i'm there, i don't mind doing 30-35hrs a wk in one place but i would love to even do 1 day a week elsewhere-variety is the spice of life! Thanks again for the help and advice.