Teaching in Adelaide

Guest Rachael

Guest Rachael

Hi All in the know

We're hoping to move some time next year (Visa went off last month) and I want to start looking into this registering business so I can start looking for a job a.s.a.p. Does anyone have a link to the site where I can get the form to register to teach in SA?

Save me searching for ages.

Also, any good job sites that you know of?

Thanks.

Rachael

(Third year teaching year 4 - would like a change!):cute:

Hi All in the know

We're hoping to move some time next year (Visa went off last month) and I want to start looking into this registering business so I can start looking for a job a.s.a.p. Does anyone have a link to the site where I can get the form to register to teach in SA?

Save me searching for ages.

Also, any good job sites that you know of?

Thanks.

Rachael

(Third year teaching year 4 - would like a change!):cute:

Dont know much about teaching but for jobs take a look at

http://www.careerone.com.au

Covers most proffessions.

Best of luck with the visa, on a similar time scale to us and many more. All waiting and waiting and yes more waiting:wacko:

Guest Rachael

Hi

Thanks for that reply, nice to know there's another teacher at the same stage. Good luck with 5 and 6, rather you than me. I'm in a one form entry school so I do all planning on my own, been doing it all week and I'm sick of it!

Moving to oz so husband can work and I'm gonna do part time. Can't wait!

Rachael.

Guest Rachael
Dont know much about teaching but for jobs take a look at

http://www.careerone.com.au

Covers most proffessions.

Best of luck with the visa, on a similar time scale to us and many more. All waiting and waiting and yes more waiting:wacko:

Thank you for that, will have a nose about. Nice to see other people in the same time frame.

R;)

Guest Rachael

I've got another question!!!

I'm filling in the assessment of qualifications form to send off. If successful, I then fill in the registration form. Can I do this here or do I wait to I get to oz?

The form talks about an English test and child protection day (I know about the latter).

Also does anyone know if I get the certified copies from the assessment form back? otherwise I'll get 2 copies as it looks like you have to send the same certificates for the application also.

Nothing is straightforward is it? They should realise how much work us teachers have without filling in huge forms as well!!! :o

R

Guest Libby1971

Hi

Regarding your application, we submitted everything once we got here, from beginning to end, the process took about 1 month and 1 week once we handed in the certificate for the child protection course.

There are a couple of websites to try:

www.teachers.on.net which is the website for Lutheran education.

there is another one for the catholic education office of SA but it has chanegd recently, google it and you will get the link. All Catholic school jobs are advertised there.

The TRB is opposite the council offices where a justice of the peace will certify your docs for free. At that point get as many certified copies as you can as each application,I have discovered, asks for copies of your certs.

Good luck

Libby

Guest muppetbro

rachel

if you pay from the uk you will NOT be able to claim back any refund at the end of the tax year - everything including the mand. course and first aid couses you will have to complete on arrival can be claimed back in full at end of tax year.....

we have completed trb last monday now awaiting for the trb certificate before we can register with decs before we can do any relief teaching and i have a school ringing me for immediate work.....for private schools we will have to wait further more for catholic screening/police clearance......we were warned :dull:

all in all its alot of jumping thru the same hoops - i have been told to expect to be earning $ in 5/6 weeks just in time for the final term as I am being fast tracked as a "in demand" subject area which sounds encouraging. my mrs is primary and she has been told it will be difficult finding contract work...................time will tell but yeh do about 5 copies of every bundle of paperwork and youll still be in need of somet i tell thee

wait til ya do your resume for decs - its like fitting a fat mamma thru the eye of a needle - spent hours reducing my woffle........

ciao

Hi Rachel

I am a brit doing the equivalent of a PGCE out here. Once you are registered there is a massive amount of supply work, which you can get around $220 per day. Are you aware of the placing system that operates in Australia in regards to Primary teachers? ie you need to earn points out in a country or disadvantaged school before you can get a job in Metropolitan? Also, if you are a regular church goer, then you can apply to the private schools direct, although the more I hear about this it seems much easier if you get to know them by doing supply first.. Hope this helps!

Guest Rachael

Hi

Thanks for the reply

I have no idea about this earning points business. To be honest I just want a casual post for the time being as we're hoping to have kids when we get out there. I just need to know what I need to do to do supply or a temporary contract e.g. maternity cover.

R

• 1 month later...
Guest Libby1971

Hi

Can't be any help on the CV front I am afraid.

I asked for advice at one school I got a contract with (via an agency) and both the school and agency said it was fine. It was the same format as the UK, just updated.

However, I have applied for a total of 8 jobs across 5 schools and haven't got an interview for any of them. I am secondary and RE. For me to get a job teaching RE, I am having to target mainly the private religious schools and have no priest/ vicar to act as referee for me which isn't helping. Plus I am not able to offer the combination of subjects that is clearly preferred when they advertise. And I have got experience of teaching others now as well as the ones from the UK.

My husband is primary and is having lots of supply offered. He isn't much further forward on the permanent side of things but the DECs season has yet to start (end of Nov/ beg Dec) and the notice period here is only 2 weeks so as we are nowhere near the end of term yet, I am not panicking yet. No need to panic yet. And there is other stuff I can do.

Libby

Guest Libby1971

When you take/ send your docs to DECs, part of what they assess is what level of pay you should be on.

I have not been paid yet through them nor have they said what pay I will receive but it should be comparable.

My husband and I expected to get the equivalent of a starting teacher (NQT) but our experience is recognised.

At the private school I worked at, the money was fine to get by on and more. Salaries are paid fortnightly so there isn't that dreaded end-of-the-month feeling.

Glad I could be of help!

Libby