Nursing advice please...

Guest thekings

Guest thekings

Hi there, having recently obtained my IELTS exam for registration I am now in the position to start seeking work. Am looking to work in the public sector as opposed to private. Not really keen on doing agency work. I am currently registered as an Anaesthetic/Scrub nurse in day surgery in England and considering the same over in Adelaide or even trying something new such as recovery or something else.

Should I just e-mail the hospitals direct and do I need to change the layout of my CV.

Thanks in advance :notworthy:

Congratulations. My friend has just failed due to exam nerves! I can't seem to get my head around the fact that an English girl schooled in England, obtained A levels. Went to University to obtain Nursing degree cannot nurse in Australia as she failed an English Exam. Bizarre!!!!!

Back to your question. You can apply to any hospital, no reason to change your format on your C.V.

I have a preference to stick to Public Hospitals. Through experience.

I have worked as a RN in quite a few places now and my husband works in the Royal Adelaide Hospital. Feel free to send us a PM if you need any further help. Love to be of help. We arrived here six years ago and have not regretted it.

I would stick to the public system here having worked private myself, i wasnt impressed one bit and would never pay money for private healthcare its not all its cracked up to be , nothing like uk standard. Just email the hospitals direct, dont get a job through an agent in uk (like ones in back of nursing times) you will be tied into a contract and if you dont like it there can be implications if you want out eg financial . Get emailing then have a gander once you get here, you wont have any problem finding work and the agencies are really good if you were to get stuck, nurses are in short supply here.

All depends where you will be living should imagine theres loads of jobs for threatre/scrub always advertising. Good luck

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Lesley

Hi

Nursing recuitment slowed down a bit here as finances hitting as per UK few years ago and agency seriously reduced but picking up...........not that theatre used agency, not sure of vacancies for theatre, have you looked on hospital sites as a first off and will also give contact details of recuitment leads.........Royal Adelaide Hospital (RAH) (central location) and Flinders (south) are the 2 trauma centres with cardiac and neurosurgery........the Royal Adelaide is to be rebuilt, build is scheduled to start 2011 open 2016 as part of SA Health Care Service Plan (available on website) and as a result metro hospital activity is changing, Lyell McQwen (north) is increasing surgical and icu capacity whilst Queen Elizabetha and Modbury will be less acute DGH type hospitals with maily elective low acuity caseloads, biggest hospitals are RAH and Flinders.

Good luck

• 2 weeks later...
Guest thekings
is it worthwhile going to an expo to pick up information on nursing in SA? i really don't know where to start! I work in trauma orthopaedics and would like to work in this is Oz and from what i have read on here the public hospitals sound good!

Yes thought about going to an expo, think there's one in London this month.

I worked for 2 years in the trauma and orthopaedic theatre here in England and found it very challenging but extremely satisfying, am currently in day surgery, which is great for the high turn over but do miss the complexities of the T&O surgery. Don't miss the lead gowns though :biglaugh:

Hi

I came here through a Recruitment Agency who organised UK interview for job in public hospital in Adelaide and then managed all the visa processes and travel details; it was just the way I wanted to come but easy to manage visas, travel etc yourself, I would say yes to going to an expo for info particularly about visas........as I was directly employed by the hospital on a 457 visa, I was/am contracted to 2 years full time with them..........worked a year and got sponsored (including my family) for permanent residency (again my choice) but took 12 months with immigration to organise, will have permanent residency this October and can work anywhere in Australia......have to say the hospital has been very good to me. Possible word of caution, check out your partner's ability to work here, my husband had difficulty at first as a lot of jobs need a permanent visa, not a temporary like the 457 originally we had e.g. for a government jobs a permanent visa seems to be needed and I know of a small number of people who have come over on the wife/nurse's career and thought their partner would easily get a job and not so...............great life and don't think will ever go back to UK...................go for it

Yes thought about going to an expo, think there's one in London this month.

I worked for 2 years in the trauma and orthopaedic theatre here in England and found it very challenging but extremely satisfying, am currently in day surgery, which is great for the high turn over but do miss the complexities of the T&O surgery. Don't miss the lead gowns though :biglaugh:

Thats great thanks :) there is an expo in London 13-14th March so will probably go to that one. I love T&O and hope to find similar work over there. I think i will go for the PR route, sounds like it would be better for my OH to find work if we get this visa.

Thanks for the replies!

• 4 weeks later...
Good luck with that, I've been through all of that milarkey so if you need any advise then give us a pm

Thanks, thats great. Will defo take you up on the offer! I was going to wait until June/July but by this time the skills list is due to change again and the nursing board changes to one for the whole of Oz. Better get my skates on :)

Bev x