experienced wodd flooring professional

Guest gina&alan

Guest gina&alan

Hi Guys can anyone please help with some information, we are looking to move to Adelaide in march as my wife intends to start a hairdressing college in the CBD she has to study for 2 years before we can apply for residency, this is really our last chance having been let down time after time by false promises for the last 5 years in living down under.She is 43 in april and has to study for 2 years befor the age of 45, we have to move very quickly,I have my own wood flooring business website is http://www.profloorsanding.com but this will not help me as i am over the age of 45 and cannot apply for residency.

We have to pay for the college course and our 7 year old son to got to school this is costing us over 50,000aud and the exchange rate is terrible, but this has taken most of our savings, What we need to know how easy would it to be to rent a house for under $350 a week in a nice area and good schools for our son ,and which area,s as looking at adelaide from a strangers point of view it looks quite daunting, The area must be if possible close to beaches be easy to take our boy to school and then my wife to get to college in the CBD bearing in mind he will have to go to early morning and and after school clubs, if and when i get a job, One more thing as the spouse i am only allowed to work 20 hours a week on her student visa so i wonder how easy it would be for me to get work with those restrictions, i am an experienced wood floor contractor (Fitting and sanding).We have a nice home in the UK and a decent lifestyle but i just want to get my children out of here now to give them a better chance at life in a warm safe enviorement what aus has to offer, Kindest regards to you all Alan & Gina

Pro Floor Sanding

http://www.profloorsanding.com

Solihull Hardwood Floors is a family run business with many years of experience in wood floor laying and restoration (sand and seal) to the domestic and commercial sectors.

Hi there Alan and Gina,

I hope that I can offer some advice. I am a hairdresser myself and migrated here on a permanent residence permit through the hairdressing skill.

Why does Gina have to do a 2 year course? What's the course? Is part of it the cert 4 in training and assessment which is the requirement to be a trainer in Australia? (My OH has just done the course). Is it not possible to work as a hairdresser for a couple of years...secure the permanent residence and then do the course?

Does Gina have to attend the course in the CBD? Is it a TAFE course? There are TAFE ccolleges throughout Adelaide but not all of them offer the full range of courses.

The good news is that you will be able to rent accomodation for below $350 per week. There are plenty of properties in the region of $270 to $350 in the southern region. You can rent anywhere from Seaford, Port Noarlunga, Christies, Hallet Cove etc, but be prepared to travel (which is not too stressful). Alan's limitation of 20 hours per week could be an issue with finance. Hairdressing is also rubbish pay here and shelf stacking pays more than I get an hour! If Alan works for himself...how is the 20 hours enforced? Maybe he could work 20 hours for one of the Bunnings stores and still work extra (cash in hand) for himself?

It is going to be a massive financial drain. it's just pay pay pay for the first couple of years and without two incomes you better have plenty of savings.

Having said that. It is worth it. We came from the UK via South Africa and we have no regrets. The peope are friendly, the lifestyle is good and if you put in the effort everything will come together. I never cease to be amazed by the new migrants that I meet. Those that go for it and set up their new lives in record time are a real inspiration.

I wish you all the best and will help wherever possible?

Tamara

Guest kangomik

Your going to struggle thats for sure, it depends what you call a decent lifestyle in the UK, ireckon if you earn combinned over £40K in the UK then have a serious think.

Casual work does pay well in some areas, my wife does night fill "stacking shelves in supermarket" and casual pays over 20 bucks an hour!

I think Tamara ask's some good questions, however i do feel you want that wonderful location for the right price that has everything spot on. You would have to join the Que mate, theres a few 100,000 in front of you i reckon.

In saying all of the above, it's soo much better for the kids. Thats what we did it for and it ticks all the box's. No matter how hard it seems at times!

Guest gina&alan

Hi Tamara,

Gina studying a 2 year course is the only way we can get into Australia, She is 43 in april and has to study 2 years in Aus befor the age of 45,

Gina has worked in accounts for the last 17 years and is a senior bookkeeper but it is not recognised in Austalia as a trade even tho she get payed a lot more money then a hairdressesr wage.

Hairdressing is the easiest way forward for her to complete 2 years before the age of 45.

If she studys accounting she will not be able to get through the course in 2 years and its a lot more acedemic,

So she is starting in hairdressing from scratch for a full 2 years course which is the mimimum requirements.

I dont know if you have seen my website in what i do but i beleive adelaide would be the best place for me to work or set up in my line of work which is wood flooring and renovation, as i am now to old to apply for pr.

It would be nice if Gina could speak to you on the telephone as we have to make this decision this week or the oppertunity will pass us by,If thisis ok with you you can email your telephone number to atbg12771@blueyonder.co.uk and we can call you at a time to suit yourself.

Things could change we are told with hairdressing on the modl this is why we have chosen adelaide because it is a regeonal area, also how easy would it be for Gina to get a sponsorship in 2 years if this happened, is there a shortage of hairdressers would she find a job easy, these are all our worries that we are making the wrong move and giving everything up here in the UK, we dont have time to sell our house either, Regards Alan & Gina

Hi there Alan and Gina,

I hope that I can offer some advice. I am a hairdresser myself and migrated here on a permanent residence permit through the hairdressing skill.

Why does Gina have to do a 2 year course? What's the course? Is part of it the cert 4 in training and assessment which is the requirement to be a trainer in Australia? (My OH has just done the course). Is it not possible to work as a hairdresser for a couple of years...secure the permanent residence and then do the course?

Does Gina have to attend the course in the CBD? Is it a TAFE course? There are TAFE ccolleges throughout Adelaide but not all of them offer the full range of courses.

The good news is that you will be able to rent accomodation for below $350 per week. There are plenty of properties in the region of $270 to $350 in the southern region. You can rent anywhere from Seaford, Port Noarlunga, Christies, Hallet Cove etc, but be prepared to travel (which is not too stressful). Alan's limitation of 20 hours per week could be an issue with finance. Hairdressing is also rubbish pay here and shelf stacking pays more than I get an hour! If Alan works for himself...how is the 20 hours enforced? Maybe he could work 20 hours for one of the Bunnings stores and still work extra (cash in hand) for himself?

It is going to be a massive financial drain. it's just pay pay pay for the first couple of years and without two incomes you better have plenty of savings.

Having said that. It is worth it. We came from the UK via South Africa and we have no regrets. The peope are friendly, the lifestyle is good and if you put in the effort everything will come together. I never cease to be amazed by the new migrants that I meet. Those that go for it and set up their new lives in record time are a real inspiration.

I wish you all the best and will help wherever possible?

Tamara

Guest gina&alan

Hi the course was in the CBD and we have to find a school for our 7 year old son, is it easy to get around adelaide with taking kids to school and Gina getting to college in CBD when i get some work, he may have to go to early morning school clubs and even after school clubs,

any advice anyone

Guest gina&alan

Hello MIk nice to here from you, mate we have been let down twice now with aus and NZ having been to bothe countries and immigration agent took our money and could not deliver there promises,

I even went to aus last year to organise things as i had a job in Mackay and the guy did not even turn up to meet me and pulled the plug on me ,yet did not have the balls to let me know befor i travelled and spent a load of money going to mackay.

Just lost £105,000 in a property in spain due to the £UK crashing and interest rates going up i had a serios leg injury and could not work for a year so lost the lot,

We just want out of UK and start afresh, i know i,m giving up a lot in UK and i alone can earn double what you quoted but i just had enough and want out,

This is our final chance and its a massive risk but we may kick ourselves if we let it pass us by, what would you do,

all the best mate Alan

Hi there,

I know what your concerns are with your efforts to get here. We come from a country where it's citizens are being slaughtered. Many are desperate to leave but have the English language obstacle even if they have the skills. We have family in the UK who really want to come here too.

We also have friends who have trades but have left it too late and are now in their mid to late 40's and cannot get in. New Zealand is an option as their migration age used to be 57.

Anyway...a few more questions.

Will 2 years be enough to qualify as a hairdresser? I did 4 years which was a combination apprenticeship and technicon. Are you sure that 2 years will be enough? Is hairdressing still on the MODL? I thought that it had been removed with a number of other trades?

Why do you have to do the course in town? The TAFE's do hair...there's a large hair and beauty department in the Noarlunga TAFE just up the road from us. There are also a number of private colleges. (Do you need to do an apprenticeship?).

I would recommend that you get some advice from a good migration agent before you take the plunge. There is someone on this site who is very helpful and can perhaps advise you....can't remember who it is (CAN ANYONE HELP???). Tyke may be able to put you onto them.?

Hairdressing pay is rubbish...but I understand that you just want to get in here. There is plenty of work in hairdressing though. Strange situation where you have a skills shortage but the pay is rubbish so the shortage will always be there as it's better to work in another retail job and earn a bit more...crazy !

Transport in Adelaide is good. There is also plenty of work in the trades. We have 3 houses with wooden floors and have stripped and varnished them. There is also a large market for the laminate / floating floors. There are plenty of new houses being built and Adelaide is expanding quickly. I would still say get a Bunnings job and do extra work in your spare time!

We can have a chat when you get some expert advice. I didn't do my training here and don't want to give you any wrong info! Everyone that I work with qualified overseas! I work at Just Cuts if you want to look at their web site?

Hope that this helps. Good luck.

Tamara

Guest gina&alan

Hi we have tried for years, and kept getting let down, we applied for pr for NZ 15 months ago and was assured we would have residency for NZ by christmas,

They were happy to take our money and 7 weeks ago they emailed to say i had passed the points system had my qualifacations assesed and confirmed ,

We were pulled out the pool and a case advisor rejected the application saying there was a difference between boat building and ship building as i was going in as a boatbuilder.

I served my time in ship building but at the time before we handed money over i told him it was very different but he told me NZ migration see it as the same trade.

The problem we have that i am 53 and my partner is 43 in april and need to study for 2 years and yes you can qualify in aus to level 3 & 4 in hairdressing and salon management with in 2 years, which will give us days to have an application put forward for PR in 2 years time,

Thanks for the advice Alan

Hello MIk nice to here from you, mate we have been let down twice now with aus and NZ having been to bothe countries and immigration agent took our money and could not deliver there promises,

I even went to aus last year to organise things as i had a job in Mackay and the guy did not even turn up to meet me and pulled the plug on me ,yet did not have the balls to let me know befor i travelled and spent a load of money going to mackay.

Just lost £105,000 in a property in spain due to the £UK crashing and interest rates going up i had a serios leg injury and could not work for a year so lost the lot,

We just want out of UK and start afresh, i know i,m giving up a lot in UK and i alone can earn double what you quoted but i just had enough and want out,

This is our final chance and its a massive risk but we may kick ourselves if we let it pass us by, what would you do,

all the best mate Alan

Hi Alan, I know your question was to Kangomik, but thought I'd give my view as well. If you can earn £80k in the UK plus whatever your wife makes as a senior bookkeeper, I'd think very carefully (as I'm sure you're doing) before coming here.

Of course, it's not all about the money; I know that as much as anyone and one of the reasons we made the move is because our son is nearly four years old and we want to raise him here. It will take a good few years before we're financially comfortable once more. There's no doubt, though, that money - particularly the lack of it! - is an important consideration.

Given that you'd be coming here on a student visa with all the working limitations this brings and with no guarantees at the end of it just does seem like such a long shot.

I'm not doubting that you could do it; if people have the determination they can arrive here with nothing and make it work. What I am questioning is whether making the move is necessarily the best option given you seem to have so much going for you in the UK.

Were it a straightforward permanent visa application I'd say go for it, so if you're sure you can survive the first two years with the limitations your visa will bring, then probably it's still a good choice, but it's a close one!

All the best, Jim

Guest gina&alan

Hi Jim maybe i got the wrong end of the stick with money i meant in australian dollares but i do have my own business and when i earn i can earn but its just so up and down at the moment, andhas been for a number of years now, We have had a decent year this year which enables us to finance australia in this way Gina,s college is 30,000 aud and we have another 8000 aud a year for our

son to go to school, But this really is the last chance as i am 53 and she has to complete studies befor 45 she is 43 in april. its a night mare mate, my business is wood flooring is there much call out there for this trade, see my website http://www.profloorsanding.com and let me know what you think bearing in mind the 20hour restrictions,

Jim very kind of you mate to take the time to reply to us, we just want a steady stress free life where we can get up in the morning and go home at night and not have to worry about people who dont want to pay me, also when the phone is gonna ring with the next job and our boy can go out on his bike and be safe, all the best mate Alan