Australian Teaching Qualifications

Guest scmercer

Guest scmercer

Hi

I am hoping to start a primary teaching course in Flinders this year however it is likely that I will return to the UK after completing the course and I am unsure if Australian Teaching qualifications are recognised in the UK.

Does anyone have an knowledge or experience of this? I dont want to complete the course if it means I cannot teach in the UK in the future. I know that the UK are always recruiting aussie secondary teachers however I dont know if it is the same for primary.

Thanks

Sheila

Hi. I trained in Adelaide and worked in the UK. This information may be out of date though. During my time there it was up to the individual school whether they paid me qualified or unqualified rate - they always paid me qualified. Then I did the Graduate Teacher Programme in school time; this did not involve anything extra as I just showed some uni guy my plans and stuff and he observed me once. After that I was the same as a UK trained teacher. As I said - this was some time ago so things may have changed. Good luck.

Tracey

Guest Nick11

I'm pretty sure they do accept it. If in doubt why not try the GTC (I think it was that) It has been going for about 5 years in the uk - I remember the commotion it caused when it was first set up. Every paid teacher in uk has to join and pay subs - it is used as a stepping stone between the teachers and government. Now gives qualified teacher status that the old department of education used to do. They would definately know.

Guest guest569

Before we moved to Oz i had a labourer over the summer who was a south African trained teacher. His qualifications wouldn't let him work for the education dept but would allow him to work through an agency :goofy:( how wrong is that !!!)

So he didn't get paid paid for school hols , hence the labouring.:biglaugh:

Guest Sallyanne

I have a Bachelor of Education (Junior Primary/Primary) from Uni SA. I went to teach in the UK in 2002 and my school paid me as an unqualified teacher until I gained my QTS (Qualified Teacher Status). It took me about 6 months to collect evidence that I could meet the same standards as British Teachers (4 thick folders), I was observed in the classroom for half a day and then interviewed for the afternoon where my folders were looked through. I also had to pass a literacy, numeracy and ICT test (British Teachers also have to pass these), they are completed on the computer and you can do them as many times as you need to to pass them! I gained my QTS in 2005. I think that now you have to have QTS to take up a contract or more, I know the rules changed after my husband got posted abroad so I've not taught since! Hope this is helpful.

Guest scmercer

Thanks for this. I dont mind if I can gain employment prior to obtaining QTS, I just didnt fancy having to do another course before I could work!

Thanks again