857 blues

Scousemouse

Hello all,

at the risk of becoming a whingeing pom i have to get this off my chest.............

Being on an 857 visa, i am, essentially, tied to my employer for 2 years.............and if i leave, i run the risk of having my visa cancelled!!

I have been offered a new job, helping to commission a new, level 1 HDU............a chance to get back to what im used to, and improve my career prospects here in Adelaide.

My current employers are loosing staff like a haemorrhaging artery, so have taken the option of using this to prevent my leaving; i would do the same i suppose..............

espesh as 3 colleagues are leaving the area in March/ April for pastures new so someone has to pick up the slack...............looks like YT is it.

My roster is dismal........and even some of the ozzy nurses have commented on it; i never get offered overtime, its carved up by the natives!, i get moved daily between 2 areas, any ideas or suggestions are poohpoohed....so i dont bother anymore! any requests for specific off duty are granted secondary to my ozzy colleagues requests made later than mine, unless its annual leave, and even then, its not a given! Any problems with surgeons......i get sent in to do the PR schmoozing, cos my ozzy colleagues cant be ars** or refuse, or dont have the backbone to stand up to them!

I accept that im not a theatre manager in charge of 120 staff any more; that i no longer have to take charge of a 300 bed hosptial at the weekend, no joke let me tell you, its bloody hard work! But i have 25 years experience, 2 degrees and several post grad certs in management, health and safety, advanced life support; so why do i get treated like a bloody numpty??

Diac say that my employer has the option to let me go to another employer, with limited effect to my visa status....................hmmmn, let me see now, er that wont happen. who would relinquish that amount of power??

BUGA it, i had better just suck it up.

Just needed a vent.

Thanks

Jane

Guest darlo 2 adelaide
Hello all,

at the risk of becoming a whingeing pom i have to get this off my chest.............

Being on an 857 visa, i am, essentially, tied to my employer for 2 years.............and if i leave, i run the risk of having my visa cancelled!!

I have been offered a new job, helping to commission a new, level 1 HDU............a chance to get back to what im used to, and improve my career prospects here in Adelaide.

My current employers are loosing staff like a haemorrhaging artery, so have taken the option of using this to prevent my leaving; i would do the same i suppose..............

espesh as 3 colleagues are leaving the area in March/ April for pastures new so someone has to pick up the slack...............looks like YT is it.

My roster is dismal........and even some of the ozzy nurses have commented on it; i never get offered overtime, its carved up by the natives!, i get moved daily between 2 areas, any ideas or suggestions are poohpoohed....so i dont bother anymore! any requests for specific off duty are granted secondary to my ozzy colleagues requests made later than mine, unless its annual leave, and even then, its not a given! Any problems with surgeons......i get sent in to do the PR schmoozing, cos my ozzy colleagues cant be ars** or refuse, or dont have the backbone to stand up to them!

I accept that im not a theatre manager in charge of 120 staff any more; that i no longer have to take charge of a 300 bed hosptial at the weekend, no joke let me tell you, its bloody hard work! But i have 25 years experience, 2 degrees and several post grad certs in management, health and safety, advanced life support; so why do i get treated like a bloody numpty??

Diac say that my employer has the option to let me go to another employer, with limited effect to my visa status....................hmmmn, let me see now, er that wont happen. who would relinquish that amount of power??

BUGA it, i had better just suck it up.

Just needed a vent.

Thanks

Jane

Hi Scoucemouse!

I'm sorry to hear that you've been treated so bad. I'm on a sponsored permanent residency and they have you by the short and curlies!!! People do leave, and don't have to pay the costs back either, just wanted to let you know. I don't know the restrictions on your specific visa though.

I quickly realised that the big boys in healthcare here is australia want oversea's nurses desperately, to help change the healthcare system, but yet in practice most of the staff don't want any change. This can obviously be very frustrating, I often flet like a piggy in the middle, and would also often think "why did they chose me at interview if I'm that crap?".

Keep your head up and PM me if you need to vent more, beacuse you need to be careful as someone always knows who you're talking about and that's not paranoia!!!! It's SA being so small. If you came here to advance your career then you need to rethink, as you need to prove yourself all over again. Good luck though. x

I wont pretend I know the detalils of your visa entitlements because I would be guessing if I did but I do know a nurse who had an employer sponsored visa through Burnside Hospital and just left and went to the WCH because she couldnt cope with it anymore, with no repurcussion. Have talks with your prospective employer before you make the move and see if there is anyway of them 'taking over' your visa. Nursing/midwifery is very different here as is the system and I know that its taken me a while to find something that I enjoy and that I dont dread going to - fingers crossed I may have found it but dont want to count my chickens!

Saying that my hubby who is also a nurse HDU/ICU has had a job for 2 1/2 years that he absolutely loves - better than his UK job (which he did like too). Its just finding the space where you fit. Andy works with a good mix of Aussies and Poms, he has a really great boss and flexible rostering! So much so in fact that his colleague from England applied for a job on the back of Andys recommendation and they are both happy as pigs in ****!

Hope things work out for you

Lindsey

Thanks guys..................youre all very kind.

Had a very sleepless and sticky night, emotions running high there. Spent a lot of time writing lists of problems there, then had an epiphany!!

I put on my old managers head, and gave the main reason for leaving as the potential for promotion without much competition! discussing the minutae of issues isnt helpful, and just skews ones perspective, dont you think?

the original agent went and spoke to the DoN, and blow me, yes, i can go, and as long as my new employers take on the nomination, all will be supported!!

My new employers jumped at the chance!!

My medical colleagues are gutted, dont want me to leave, but have been so supportive, offering me work at there rooms, and as a freelance , or decent refs.........so i cant be a rubbish nurse can i?? Or maybe im betteer looking than i think, hahaha, NOT.

Darlo, you are so right, this is a very small place.............i havent given references, the CEO doesnt need them! Looks like the jungle drums work fast in Adelaide!!

I dont hate my emploeys, i have had some good times at the hospital, but oh lord, the time is right to get back on the pathway.

Fingers crossed guys, and Thanks again.

Jane

No comment on the hospital..............sorry.

It is a private hospital, though!!

Like darlo says, this is a small place, end everyone knows SOMEONE..........., and as i havent supplied references (the CEO didnt want them!?), i suspect that SOMEONE has already given me a good rep!

Fortunately, i have very good relations with my medical colleagues, and most of the nurses i work with.................i reckon it helps to not rock any boats!

Thanks guys for your support.

Jane