Sparky looking for a FT job!!!

Guest Guest3980

Guest Guest3980

Relieved to say I passed my wiring rules exams at PEER and am now fully licensed.

Let me know if you are looking for a commercial / domestic electrician.

Cheers,

Jon.

Guest theclarkes

congrats on passing mate i am hopefully going to be in adelaide in the near future taking the same exam,was it tough and did the books provided by PEER help what do you think your chances of finding work are given the current climate

Good luck

Neil

Guest Guest3980

Hi Neil,

Yeah you wont get very far without the books!! All you have to do is finish the workbook, do a bit of extra revision on the cable calcs and max demand and you`ll be fine. My tutor was great, explained it all on the white board then let me start the exam after 2 hours on the first day. No real time limit so go as quick as you like, it does take a few hours to complete.

As for work, Yesterday (Monday 18th) was my first day of looking. By 5pm Id had one interview and an offer of $30 ph, two other phone calls from companies and another interview arranged for today with a commercial contractor!!! I wouldnt worry too much about the work situation, there were around 10 jobs in saturdays paper. ( im no rocket scientist either, just a normal commercial / domestic spark!! )

Good luck!!

Guest theclarkes

Hi mate thanks for your reply that sounds good , i am as you are a domestic / commercial sparks $30 an hour sounds pretty good i take thats as direct employed. Sorry mate its a stupid early time in the morning here in the uk at the moment and i got to get to london for work if you dont mind i will message you when i get back just about a few things in general

Cheers mate

Neil

Guest Guest3980

Thats fine, after all the advice i have recieved im only too pleased to help.

Had another interview today, offer was 1 week trial, first 3 months $25 ph, after that $30 ph with as much overtime as I want doing mainly commercial stuff with some solar panel work too....

At the interview the boss is going " So do you think youll be right working on top of a roof in 40c? " I said " yeah, no problem " but thinking " Of course not, are you f*****g mental!!! "

Generally though i think you have to be prepared take a step back just to get employed then once youve got Oz work experience its a lot easier in future.

How far on with emigrating are you?

Guest theclarkes

Hi mate

I think i might be able to manage 40c on a roof if theres a bar and a swimming pool. At the moment in our visa process we lodged our visa in August so at the moment are waiting to be appointed a c/o so hopefully not to much longer to wait, managed to sell the house not long ago and are in rented and ready to go asap.

So it seems $30 an hour is about the going rate, not to bad for starters does that include a van and pension and so on, how much goes to our mate the tax man out of the weekly wage.

Where abouts are you staying we have looked at a few areas on the net like Seaford, Henly, Flagstaff Hills they all look nice or do you know better.

Sorry to bug you with loads of questions

Cheers Neil

Guest tooeasy

$30 an hour is about the right rate can be upto $34 an hour tho i know a few companies that are looking depends on what experience you have and how far your willing to travel generally a lot of the work is either in the city or up north but there is a lot going on at the de salination plant too in hallet cove jobs normally come with pension as they have to pay into it by law also some companies pay income protection and rdo's which is an extra day off a month and there is also long service leave which after 10 years working in the industry not just the same company you get 13 weeks off paid if you need any help or info give me a shout

Guest Guest5035
there is also long service leave which after 10 years working in the industry not just the same company you get 13 weeks off paid if you need any help or info give me a shout

Thought it had to be the SAME company for 10 years , 8 pro rata

Stevo

Guest guest569

I know a few electricians and only 1 of them gets above $30 an hour and he's a supervisor. The others vary from $26 to $29 per hour.

I'm not saying the others on this thread are wrong as i'm not an electrician ( although in the building trade ) just that don't set your heart on that sort of money !!!

Guest tooeasy

in the construction trades because a lot move companies the CBS was set up when you start your 1st job you will get a card in the post with your membership number on when you move companies you just give them this number when you start and they will pay into it for you

hey pom yea a lot of companies pay less than $30 an hour but they are normally smaller companies with less benefits such as rdo's and burst ( redundancy pay) the bigger there are a few companies to avoid like the plague that pay rubbish and treat you like crap o'donnel griffin pay $34 an hour and watters pay $32 an hour if you need anymore info let me know

Guest theclarkes

Hi mate whats the problem with Star elec i,ve been chatting to them about work when i arrive for a while now, just a bit peed off to hear that there not so good

cheers

Guest Russfamily

I worked for this mob vip electrical not far from the city, i gave a full time job up to join them, being a maintenance electrician they said that they wanted me to do there breakdowns that industrial companies would phone them up for. So i started but in the two weeks i was there i only got one maintenance job the rest were installations for cranes and so. i told them that i was 100 % maintenance can do installations but would be slow at it, i left my tom tom holder in the van they gave me and went back to collect it two days later and there were 7 vip vans out the front and 7 electricians painting the front of the building. THEY HAD NO BLOODY WORK but were still employing.

I f you work for the small contracting firms then you will earn about $30 an hour some more some less but dont be surprised if one day when the work slacks off its good bye .