Mums working Part time

Guest scmercer

Guest scmercer

Hi

I have been here almost 6 months and have been looking for part time work on and off since I got here. I have found it so difficult so far. I have 2 young children and am only looking for something part time in an office/admin environment.

Have applied for lots online and through the paper but never received an interview for jobs that I am qualified to do. I have also tried to register with agencies but they say they are unable to help people looking for part time work.

Has anyone out there managed to find this type of work or know where to find it??

Thanks

Sheila

They are out there. I started off temping, register with as many agencies as you can and tell them the hours you can do: I offered 9:30 to 2:30. Got a few temping jobs, and from there employers get to know you, find out your skills, and are often happy to negotiate with hours if they like you. The majority of jobs - particularly part-time - never make it to the 'advertised job' stage, but go through word of mouth, so you have to get yourself into that loop.

One of my friends temps through an agency called Julia Ross (2/80 King William St Adelaide SA 5000 - (08) 8212 9522) and speaks highly of them. I also got work through Westaff and Human Interest Partners.

I'm surprised at Hays, as i found them really good.

Agree with Diane, register with agencies...there are part-time jobs out there...

I worked part-time temping for around 2.5 years. Always managed to get some kind of part-time work, but did have to be flexible. Some jobs were 3 full days a week or even 4....and others were like 10-4 or similar...

Flexibility is the key....its not easy, but it is worth trying to get as much aussie experience as possible...helps on the resume!

The other thing to be aware of is that in part-time office/admin work...alot of places like you to be an 'all rounder'. i.e....have admin/office skills, but also to have accounts knowledge.

I found when looking in the those first few months, alot of the jobs wanted people to have MYOB or Quikbooks knowledge. So might be advisable to get one of those under your belt. I did MYOB

After 2.5 years, i finally secured a wonderful Permanent part-time administration job...flexible hours...great company...and i needed MYOB!

Good luck!

Glad there's some jobs out there, I'm just starting to look, but since my son's at kindy, don't have many 'free' hours unless I put him wraparound childcare - which i don't want to do until I have a job - chicken & egg! He starts school in July so definitely want to start part time work by then. In the meantime I'm volunteering at the kindy - helpful for a local reference, handy to get to know the other mums and kids better and stops me going mad!

Might check out a MYOB course too now, thanks for the tip.

Catrin

If you're going to do MYOB course I'd recommend Hamilton Secondary College on Marion Road.

I recently did Pre-MYOB and MYOB introduction there (on the recommendation of Lorluc) and it was very good. Only $55 per course aswell, which is cheap compared to some I looked at.

They do day time or evening courses.

As I say, I've just completed mine ..... now I've just got to find a job :confused:

If you're going to do MYOB course I'd recommend Hamilton Secondary College on Marion Road.

I recently did Pre-MYOB and MYOB introduction there (on the recommendation of Lorluc) and it was very good. Only $55 per course aswell, which is cheap compared to some I looked at.

They do day time or evening courses.

As I say, I've just completed mine ..... now I've just got to find a job :confused:

Great to hear that you did the course Nat...good luck finding a job! Having MYOB should make life alot easier for you

Great to hear that you did the course Nat...good luck finding a job! Having MYOB should make life alot easier for you

Thanks. I really enjoyed doing the courses. Got the old brain working a bit.:err: